What the hell's the difference

neversaydie
This post is 4509 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Spotlights - running lights - headlights

They all look the same to me

Whats the difference, and are there rules and regs to say what you can have switched on/off at different times/conditions

Are they different or are they the same thing

If anyone can shed some light on the subject, I'd greatly appreciate it

Thanks

Ray

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Way back in the 50's and early 60's In the days of Mk 2 Zephyrs and Zodiacs the true Spot light was fitted on the A pillar and often had a handle to direct the spot, it was more like a minature search light, i had one on my Consul.

Later on in the 60's, cars used to have a spotlight and a fog light as extra's on an accessory bar! above the chromed front mudguard!

The left or N/S light, on an accessory bar! was the 'spot' it produced.....a spot! of light!

This was normally angled towards the kerb to light it up in the distance, so you could see where the road edge was!, the fog light was fitted on the O/S was a wide low beam to shine 'under' the fog.

Today modern cars tend to be fitted with underslung fog lights more commonly called 'driving lights'. Both are wide low beams which light up the area just in front of the car.

Running lights as OG says are on all the time, .On trucks and rigs the running lights are often all those little coloured lights which are on all the time too!! Cars have them as either sidelights, or inside the headlight bowl as pilot lights! bikes tend to have them in the headlight bowl, as those somewhat dim bulbs or....running lights! i.e they are on when the engine.......is running!.........or Not!

Headlights are fitted on your head!........only kidding! just seeing if you'd got this far!

The rules and regulations of fog lights, and headlights are in the highway code, and if Brussels get their way in the future.....motorcyclist will have them on all the time............and so will cars!........... and I'm not just talking about volvos!!!!!!!

merry christmas

Spotlights - running lights - headlights

They all look the same to me

Whats the difference, ...........................................................

Same as Neo really.

Headlights show you where you are going. Designed to spread light in an arc to include the curb area. Regulated as to where they can be fitted and what spread of light they throw, but you don't legally need them for your MOT.

Spotlights throw a beam in the light's direction. Like a torch. Used for country lanes where you often need to have a beam of light directed a lot further ahead than the light the headlight throws so you can actually see where you are going. They can "blind" oncoming drivers.

Running lights are pure pose. Don't necessarily throw any useful light but light the bike up like a Christmas tree (did you like what I did there?). Similar to the light in the boot of a car, they just illuminate the area locally to where they are fitted.

I think that there is a lot of legislation in the UK as to where and how they all can be fitted; what can be turned on with what and; if you have to have a warning light fitted.

Thanks for the replies chaps

Reason behind the question is that I'm considering investing in some additinal lighting, Im sure youve all seen the sort of thing on other cruisers (bar clamped across under the headlight -lamp each side)

Purpose is two-fold. One - to make myself more visible, two - to better illuminate the road infront.

Based on the replies above, it looks like spotplights are what I'm after. Said lights then need a switch independent of the exisitng headlight (which is on all the time - american imported bike), so spots can be switched idependently of headlight?

Would spotlights come with a dipper switch, or are they just on or off? Or can I run with them on (with the headlight) but adjust the beam angle so that it follows the same path as the main dipped beam and not blind everyone else?

Does that make sense?

I have those spots on my virago. They are on a bar which is under the headlight and then the spots are on either side of the headlight.

They are wired to come on with the full headlight and are off with the dims. They are also wired into the passing switch.

They give great light at night.

Hi Ray,

Spot lights are single filament bulbs, so they are either on or off,

Only bulbs with dual filaments ie main beam and dip have a dipper switch( to change from one of the other.)

The spots do need to be independent of the headlight, and you could either wire them as dual lights or have them switched independantly of each other, up to you really.

The only thing to consider is the watts the 3 lights, will consume, i.e the headlight and two spots.

The power of all these lights will have a draw on the battery. You don't get something for nothing.

If its just short rides with them all on, you could drain the battery, so be prepared to charge the battery up occasionaly.

As regards to direction of the beams, you can aim them where you like, the spot is just a spot. Keeping them low will keep on coming cars and other riders happy.

I had 'passing lamps' installed on my 1300 when I bought it. The dealer had wired them up to be on with the main beam, but that was a bit pointless as the main beam turns night into day...! I've since wired them to be on with the dip (normal) light so they're on all the time. The lamps do have a switch on the side of them but its a bit of a stretch to reach whilst ridding so at some point I plan on wiring a switch to the handlebars.

Are you installing them on your 125 or 750? I imagine battery drain will be more noticable on the 125.

Hi Ray,

Spot lights are single filament bulbs, so they are either on or off,

Only bulbs with dual filaments ie main beam and dip have a dipper switch( to change from one of the other.)

The spots do need to be independent of the headlight, and you could either wire them as dual lights or have them switched independantly of each other, up to you really.

The only thing to consider is the watts the 3 lights, will consume, i.e the headlight and two spots.

The power of all these lights will have a draw on the battery. You don't get something for nothing.

If its just short rides with them all on, you could drain the battery, so be prepared to charge the battery up occasionaly.

As regards to direction of the beams, you can aim them where you like, the spot is just a spot. Keeping them low will keep on coming cars and other riders happy.

Hi NEO,

Im gonna have to look around some more for the "right" lights. LEDs would drain less, and Id like them on with the headlight, angled low (same as dipped beam)

Hi Clarkegray, yes theyre for the Virago, I generaly use the Dragstar as a shit weather ride these days as theres more plastic on it so less chance of rust, and its solid in the wet. I thought much about selling it, but its been such a good bike, still in great nick, I cant bring myself to do it. Who knows, 15 years down the line there may not be many in standard form left, as so many have been bastardised ( sorry - bobbed). Ive noticed that they are holding their price well.

Thanks again for the comments chaps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online