my ol toy (1990 dt 125 r)

funkymunkydavid
This post is 3204 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've not checked in on your thread for a few days and I'm glad I hadn't because it was worth dropping in just to see that engine! You are one patient son of a bitch gun and my God is it paying off.

Oh as for 85 mph with the dog, how do you get a DT to do that speed without dropping it from a plane!!! :biglaugha:

Anyway, back to the engine, get it off the grass 'cos it's getting dirty :eusa_doh:

well the dirt won't stick thanks to Nev's ACF-50 tip (many thanks) awesome stuff!

85-90 should be easily do-able :eusa_whistle: as well as the normal stuff (powervalve kit,full dep system) a couple of other mods help.... cut the top off the airbox,yz style... dayvard013-1.jpg

28mm carb with no carb warmer pipes,jetted to suit....

daved027.jpg

and some porting.... :eusa_whistle: although i had it done to my 4fu head (done by stan seize 'ems) as previously mentioned some gimp had it sleeved :madflame: thus its gotta be done again as the ports in the sleeve don't match the ports in the head :crazy: it wont be going to stan this time :shakeno: heard mick abbey is good,anyone on here used him? should be an easy 90 mph depending on the gearing :spin2: and maybe a 32 mm tmx for a motox style kick :eusa_whistle:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also the first bit of what i spent my engine re-build on turned up 006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg along with the linkage. all made of soon to be shiny shiny aluminium and off of a WR 200.... its about an inch longer in length,a good inch an a bit narrower on the wheel spindle end. its almost perfect width on the frame end (2-4 mm in it). the linkage is a totally different set up and won't fit the dt shock... now looking for a WR 200 shock and waitin for the front end to turn up :biglaugha: all in all its way lighter and will be far more adjustable for off road stuff :eusa_whistle:

dont get too hung up on top speed hopes Scott, be happy if it goes off the clock that only reads 80 max anyhow, they are an aerodynamic non starter for high speeds with all that height and scoop frontage, but hey you will sure know about the acceleration...thats more fun in my book ;)

Dave can you do me a big favour mate, next time while you have your carb to hand, can you just whip out the throttle screw, and see if theres a tiny rubber 'o' ring just after the spring but before the tiny metal washer at the end, as I'm having big probs with my idling, on the DT and thinking about it, I found a tiny 'o' ring on the floor where I'd been working on the bike, and after taking my throttle screw out, found there wasn't a rubber 'O' ring on the screw, and putting 2 and 2 together, maybe this might be the cause of my not idling properly.

Cheers muchly Nev

I have seen O rings on mixture adjustment screws NEV

Flat slide or round slide?

Just looked in my manual an o rings are mentioned

If removal of the throttle stop and pilot adjustment screw is required, screw each one carefully in until it seats lightly, counting and recording the number of turns required, and then unscrew each one complete with its spring and O ring.

I have seen O rings on mixture adjustment screws NEV

Flat slide or round slide?

Flat slide OG, deffo the throttle screw mind as the mixture screw never came out, looking at an exploded view of the screw in parts, it does show something there but doesn't describe whether it's rubber or not, and am in the mind that without this I'm drawing air in, another problem is I put this 'o' ring somewhere safe, and am buggered if I can find it,so I could take a pic of it.

That'll be it then, cheers again OG, sorry for hijacking yer thread Dave

Dave can you do me a big favour mate, next time while you have your carb to hand, can you just whip out the throttle screw, and see if theres a tiny rubber 'o' ring just after the spring but before the tiny metal washer at the end, as I'm having big probs with my idling, on the DT and thinking about it, I found a tiny 'o' ring on the floor where I'd been working on the bike, and after taking my throttle screw out, found there wasn't a rubber 'O' ring on the screw, and putting 2 and 2 together, maybe this might be the cause of my not idling properly.

Cheers muchly Nev

yep defo a little rubber o ring in there.fella.jus a mattter of finding it now tho :shakeno:

• 2 weeks later...

Found this NEV

http://www.sudco.com...ms123/exptm.gif

Click full size and see item 58

Where the hell did you find this! I was looking for ages for parts diagrams of the flat slide. My DT200WR uses the same and i was missing the nylon holder (no.4) and couldnt get hold of one anywhere!

Dave, i've spent many hours scrolling through ebay looking for parts for my DT200WR which is the WR200 but with a metal tank. Alot of the parts are from the US as there are very few of these bikes in the UK. The only one i've seen is 200 quid delivered and is from the US. I bought some parts from 2wheelmad , an ebay bike breaker. They have since blocked me from their listings due to me leaving neutral feedback for their poor service (sending me wrong parts, failing to reply to emails, rude manor etc etc ) but as a last resort they might have one as they were breaking a WR200.

Are you going to be running the bike premix then as that mikuni TM28SS doesnt have an inlet for the oil feed. The later DT's ran that carb but they had an adapted inlet manifold with a stub to feed the oil in there. I ran into that problem with my DT200WR. Still havnt decided whether to go premix or not.

The polishing is looking great though. Can't wait to see the finished article! I really need to push on with my project too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/92-Yamaha-WR200-200-WR-rear-shock-/200609811732?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb546cd14

cheers andy! funny you should mention 2wheelmad as thats where my swing arm and linkage came from! ( swingarm was really good nick,linkage was bent :madflame: ) also saw the shock which is massively expensive :shakeno: luckily a shock and linkage from a 89-90-91 will fit ( same part numbers ) the oil feed tube has already been swapped to the adapted manifold when the conversion was done. i'm gonna go with the autolube rather than premix as i've never had a problem with it. might rebuild the oil pump 1st tho....but 1st i may have a major problem.... applied to dvla for the log book a long while back. then got a letter asking me to tell them where i got it from,and more importantly who. sent the info back and waited. got a letter this week asking for photo's of the frame and engine numbers and also RUBBINGS of them both.... anyone know why the hell they want this? my 1st thoughts are its been cloned/scrapped/stolen,although before i got it i HPI'd it. nothing to report and it was taxed till end of last year. problem being,its been a field bike and wreck for at least 2 years in the hands of the last owner. i know the numbers are genuine,heat cleaned the frame back to bare metal,all good. and i thought if a bike was stolen then dvla jus sent plod round? anyone got any ideas? :eusa_think::crazy::shakeno:

• 3 weeks later...

right then.... took the frame an crankcase to the vosa inspection site in ipswich at the dvla's request on thursday......AND..... the outcome is.... its got the wrong frickin number plate on it :madflame: bein as i resprayed it all those years ago,it always has had? at the mo its G61 WRT. they're now trying to tell me it should be f reg but wont give me the regisration? plus the frame number was in a production run that started in feb 1990? i'm now proper confused thanks to the dvla..... :shakeno: anyone know how i can hpi my bike using just the frame number?

• 2 weeks later...

got another nice letter today from the twat brigade (DVLA) they are now stating that my bike does'nt exist on there records. apparantly my only option now,according to them,is single vehicle type approval which it cant pass (2 smoke) and a Q plate. all this despite the vosa guy telling me the frame has a number plate attatched to it? does anyone on here have any ideas on how to go about recovering my registration? oddly enough i came across another dtr on e-bay with a G plate ending in RT which i also cannot hpi because DVLA have no details of it on there records? anyone else come across this? any help muchly appreciated :(

Jeez, I've not been on your thread for a bit Dave and with the last few posts you must be gutted mate. There's got to be some way to get around the pencil pushing a-holes surely.

I'll check in again soon and hopefully I'll see some good news :)

WOW. Fantastic polishing, great results, looking forward to your next instalment.

Jesus. Just read the second page of this thread. Kin horrified at what youre going through. Now seriously regretting buying an import.

keep pushing forward, too much work and pride to give up on

• 1 month later...

well after a long period of neglect,its time to think about dusting my tools off again (fnar fnar) dvla have said they have no record of this bikes frame and engine number on record? they also want to Q plate my toy :madflame: gonna contact yammy direct and see if they can identify/date it and go for an age related plate :hah: so anyways,the wr rear swinger is half polished next003.jpg

next002.jpg

next001.jpg and the front end off a yz 125 4ss turned up from two wheel mad :hyper:004-1.jpg also a pair of yz 250 wheels turned up on evil-bay,jus down the road from me for a paltry £75.... then found a yz 250 rear shock for £7.99... happy days indeed :jossun: couldn't resist a trial piece together,just to size up lol 005-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg as it stands it has 400mm clearance under it and i cant touch the ground by 2 inches (i'm 6'2") i also discovered that my bargain rear shock is off a kx :madflame: bugger!!!! so gotta find another one :shakeno: oh well. also found the rest of my plastics in endurance blue,many thanks to the lads @miles kingsport for sourcing them for me :eusa_whistle: hopefully once january is out of the way i can start piecing her back together in time for late spring/early summer.......

• Who's Online (See full list)