my ol toy (1990 dt 125 r)

funkymunkydavid
This post is 3192 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

back in the tail end of may,i managed to find my old dtr. after 8 years of looking it turned up on ebay.... :spin2: after some haggling between me,the owner and what turned out to be a bike breaker :smash: it was mine for the princely sum of £375 :elephant: it was mine again :love:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so on the 28th of may i drove from ipswich to dover (in my Trusty fiat ducato 1.9d,no turbo,50 mph,3 hours each way... :shakeno: plus side it did the whole journey on 45 quid :hyper: ) parted with the money and drove back home to ipswich. i'd found my ol toy :tounge:myoldtr.jpg

it looked a sack,had been used as a field bike,thrashed,crashed and abused,AND painted with hammerite (except for the ford olympic blue frame,that was my doing and also the only reason i could tell it was mine...) it had been sold as a none runner. luckily the bloke selling it was a gimp :finger: it was running on pre-mix......

it had also been standing for months. when he went to kick it over to show me that it didnt run,he didnt shake the bike to wake the juice? :crazy::eusa_think: got it out of the van,shook it and 4th kick it fired up... :tounge: after a quick examine,2 hours tightening bolts and a quick raz up and down the street :fingerwave: it was time to pull it apart...

funny how bolts will tighten up but not undo? :madflame: finally got it stripped down to a bare frame daved021.jpg despite being painted with rattle cans nearly 13 years ago,the paint wasn't too bad :eusa_whistle:

the paint may have survived,pity the frame didn't do so well....daved022.jpg it had run into a brick wall (which it survived) and flipped at 50-60 in fourth (which it didn't) :shakeno: the last 3 inches of the frame had been hacked off after the last owner flipped it (also bent the right foot peg in half...)

after a long search on flea-bay i found a frame. stolen recovered with no numbers (it would be sacreligious to do it to a frame with a log book) placed my bid,and 7 days later checked my evil-bay and i'd won it...and for just a fiver! :doggy: it was in london colney,so off i set again in the ducato...it was a 2008 dtx frame as it turned outdaved023.jpg

despite being 18 years newer,its hardly that different. so my shimples plan evolved... take this daved023.jpg and this daved021.jpg unstitch the necessary and rebuild this daved022.jpg luckily my brother james is a welder an knows what this bike means to me... :love:

dont think i'll use rattle cans this time... wanted to chrome it but not sure i can justify the cost to the missus :sigh2: me an the dog may end up living in the shed if i do :bawling: think the frame will be a while,when it comes back i'm gonna have it powder coated after seeing how NEV'S turned out :eusa_drool: think its gonna be white. it'll go with black or the other colour i'm thinking of :crazy: in the mean time its about time i sorted all the other rusted f~!$%*d bits an pieces. so off to the shed i went to dissect the engine.... :eusa_doh:

this was the moment i remebered the other side of owning my dt,as well as remembering all those swear words and nervous ticks i'd forgotten...forgot to take pics of the strip down :eusa_shifty: i was shocked to discover it hadn't been stripped down since i owned it last (my mate used to mix red stud lock and blue thread lock to make a purple SUPER mix. it must have worked because only 3 bolts didnt have it on,and i'm f@"%$d if i could get them undone...repeated abuse with an 18v makita impact driver did it,even if it will need all new bolts :chair:

while pulling it all to bits,i thought about how i wanted it to look. it always looked good in black,but i wanted shiny bits.lots of shiny bits (i'm a shiny pervert... :eusa_whistle: ) then i saw this on e-gay daved047.jpg and a thought rattled into my brain :idea: those colours and shiny bits would look really classic,in a kind of IT style :wank4az:

so the polishing started ( and is on-going :biglaugha: ) in the mean-time i found out that yamaha's SOLID ENDURANCE BLUE is rarer than hens teeth,rocking horse poo and an honest politician all rolled into one...( only on the dt for 88-89 and no longer produced :bawling: ) think i bit off more than i can chew with the polishing... and i wanted to polish everything made of aluminium :sigh2: but i've had some good results. the top yoke

daved061.jpg +daved020.jpg the bottom yoke daved019.jpg the fork leg daved018.jpg and the forks,yokes and legs and caliper bracket dayvard008.jpg

while we're on the subject of forks,does anyone have a spare spindle clamp they could sell me? mines cracked from the brick wall incident... i cracked on with the engine next,leaving it when i got bored and coming back when i had a bit of enthusiasm... the barrel was scored and there was lumps out of the piston,head and crankcases...daved048.jpg could've been worse considering the brick wall. cases have started to come up nice tho daved026.jpgdaved062.jpgdt125r005.jpg and ive started on the cylinder daved024.jpgdaved025.jpg

carbs also done daved027.jpg and some nice silicone hoses. the flywheel cover was knackered when i sold it and hadn't changed daved050.jpg so i sourced one off a newer model (leccy start) mainly cos it was aluminium an i could indulge my fetish :eusa_drool: not long started this. soaked it in brake fluid to soften the anodisded finish,then paint stripper and then more brake fluid. then 3 grades of sisal mop dt125r003.jpg and started on the polishing dt125r004.jpg the dog isnt part of the planned mods (yet...) the new cover is a lot wider,does anyone know if this has any effect on the flywheel?

Oh boy, are you in for shitloads of fun with this, I have a feeling this is gonna turn out pretty good, owt I can help ya with gizza shout, I might learn stuff myself from it, keep it up, and ffs dunna rush it. Better check ya money tree mind, make sure its in full bloom.

also i managed to grab a couple of very hard to source bargains off of the flea-bay dayvard011.jpgdayvard010.jpg then 2 weeks later got the head lamp cowel dt125r002.jpgdt125r001.jpg found one hand guard so far.... this could take a while lol so thats me up to date. will post more as soon as time,money and the missus allow ( plus the begging for advice will start soon :biglaugha: )

started on the polishing the new cover is a lot wider,does anyone know if this has any effect on the flywheel?

No , but you'll need to move the grommet further up on the wires coming from the coils, carefull mind not to break/ chafe any wires, when you do it, as you'll never find the break, and intermittant stopping the bike middle of nowhere, when it earths, is a proper pig dog, and a decent second hand stator is 35 quidish too.

Well done davy " thats a lot of effort , and great results,,,, good luck with the rebuild..

thanks fella,think i'm gonna need all the luck i can get.....

Oh boy, are you in for shitloads of fun with this, I have a feeling this is gonna turn out pretty good, owt I can help ya with gizza shout, I might learn stuff myself from it, keep it up, and ffs dunna rush it. Better check ya money tree mind, make sure its in full bloom.

cheers nev. i figured it had to be special,partly to make up for selling it last time :fingerwave: gonna need your help when it comes to the electrics. it only had a 3 wire loom and although it still has its full power cdi some of the plugs have been cut... got a 2003 loom off a mate for £30 but i cant read wiring diagrams too well. any idea if its compatible? if not i'll rebuild it to suit :smash:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online