my ol toy (1990 dt 125 r)

funkymunkydavid
This post is 3201 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

started on the polishing the new cover is a lot wider,does anyone know if this has any effect on the flywheel?

No , but you'll need to move the grommet further up on the wires coming from the coils, carefull mind not to break/ chafe any wires, when you do it, as you'll never find the break, and intermittant stopping the bike middle of nowhere, when it earths, is a proper pig dog, and a decent second hand stator is 35 quidish too.

thats all good. i've got a place near me that does rewinds,was thinking about dropping it in for a check up/rewind anyway,saves middle of nowhere syndrome :eusa_think:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers nev. i figured it had to be special,partly to make up for selling it last time :fingerwave: gonna need your help when it comes to the electrics. it only had a 3 wire loom and although it still has its full power cdi some of the plugs have been cut... got a 2003 loom off a mate for £30 but i cant read wiring diagrams too well. any idea if its compatible? if not i'll rebuild it to suit :smash:

PM me your email dave, i'll send you my mapping of loom,in my opinion its how wiring diagrams oughta be, easier to bloody read, and aye, reckon you'll be ok with a 2003 loom, just, and if not wont be a million miles from earlier ones anyroad.

Terminals and wires you need are in my project, that may help.

bit more polishing this weekend,still mountains to get through though... cracked on with the flywheel cover dayvard005.jpg and its now finished :doggy:dayvard008-1.jpg i'm unsure whether to leave the yamaha on both cases as bare metal or paint them in with solid endurance blue? :eusa_think:

got a lot of the smaller stuff polished.... the thermostat housing dayvard009-1.jpg the powervalve case,cover and powervalve dayvard010-1.jpgdayvard012.jpgdayvard011-1.jpg now in need of my 3rd drill.... burnt out a makita lithium 18v lxt,was only 11 months old... glad that was still under warranty :hyper: the next was a b&q cheapie corded hammer drill... cheap is the way forward i tell ya :chair: do they not make drills that are JUST drills anymore? ( without the hammer bit i mean? )

Blimey, thats looking lovely but its a high maintenance finish. Winter riding definitely out ;)

and beach races too :biglaugha: its still going to be used off road and in the wet tho.... maybe i need to lacquer it.....

had the phone call from my brother james. the frame is nearly done,just som bolts to weld on and the side stand swtch bracket to replace. a quick size-up with seat,rear mud guard an panels to see how it all sits next then :doggy:

well the time to beg for advice has come.... :huh: as i said at the start,the last owner didn't know a bike from his bum hole.. the other past owners were worse.... after being told that "the back brake doesn't always work,and when it does it sounds funny" i pulled the caliper off to find... the gimp had been ridding about with no brake pads!?!?!? 002.jpg

anyone have any idea A ; how to get the sideways fitting piston out? B ; whether its worth bothering with? i'm thinking the bore may now be oval? or am i talking out me cheeks? any advice gratefully received. gotta love anyone who fills a brake line,caliper and master cylinder with engine oil :eusa_shifty: and leaves dust seals like this 003.jpg

i wouldn't trust the bloke with his dinner money...

well the time to beg for advice has come.... :huh: as i said at the start,the last owner didn't know a bike from his bum hole.. the other past owners were worse.... after being told that "the back brake doesn't always work,and when it does it sounds funny" i pulled the caliper off to find... the gimp had been ridding about with no brake pads!?!?!? 002.jpg

anyone have any idea A ; how to get the sideways fitting piston out? B ; whether its worth bothering with? i'm thinking the bore may now be oval? or am i talking out me cheeks? any advice gratefully received. gotta love anyone who fills a brake line,caliper and master cylinder with engine oil :eusa_shifty: and leaves dust seals like this

i wouldn't trust the bloke with his dinner money...

Thats just crazy,Tell ya what, let me give you some prices Dave, new rear piston and seal kit, £25.00, EBC brake pads rear, £16.00, the two concertina caliper rubbers dust seals £15, say £60 quid with pnp, second hand caliper on Ebay anywhere between £30 and £50 ish, hopefully decent pads come with it, oh and you'll deffo need another brake disc, your call mate. The twat want lynching allowing stuff to get like that, who did his MOT? Stevie Wonder,in a rush?.

Thats just crazy,Tell ya what, let me give you some prices Dave, new rear piston and seal kit, £25.00, EBC brake pads rear, £16.00, the two concertina caliper rubbers dust seals £15, say £60 quid with pnp, second hand caliper on Ebay anywhere between £30 and £50 ish, hopefully decent pads come with it, oh and you'll deffo need another brake disc, your call mate. The twat want lynching allowing stuff to get like that, who did his MOT? Stevie Wonder,in a rush?.

luckily he was using it as a field bike because it had failed an mot. gotta love some people tho,eh? well if i can get the frickin thing apart i'll rebuild it,at least it "as new" i suppose...

Cant wait ta see this finished,,,, in all its polished glory,,,,,, looking good lad !

Cant wait ta see this finished,,,, in all its polished glory,,,,,, looking good lad !

:biglaugha: ta fella! just hope it doesn't take too long to source all the bits i need,its an ever growing list.... :shakeno:

Very Shiney! its nice finding long lost (motorised) lovers from years ago! keep up the polishing. cant wait to start ripping my bike apart thins winter!

I reckon it was the same bloke who put that frikkin engine stop switch on my bike as a horn!

Back on track though, this is looking absolutely lovely. It must be a great buzz to have the old girl back again. I see your dog is excited too as his/her tail seems to be a blur! Looking forward to more updates from ya.

(PS You won't go wrong with Nev's wiring diagram)

Forgot to say, yeah you do have a fetish with the shiny stuff, fair play to you ;)

I reckon it was the same bloke who put that frikkin engine stop switch on my bike as a horn!

Back on track though, this is looking absolutely lovely. It must be a great buzz to have the old girl back again. I see your dog is excited too as his/her tail seems to be a blur! Looking forward to more updates from ya.

(PS You won't go wrong with Nev's wiring diagram)

Forgot to say, yeah you do have a fetish with the shiny stuff, fair play to you ;)

Very Shiney! its nice finding long lost (motorised) lovers from years ago! keep up the polishing. cant wait to start ripping my bike apart thins winter!

thanks for the positive comments,helps on the days when i can't be jaffed :biglaugha: nev's wiring diagram is awesome,i can read that well ( black lines on white paper i can't ) the dog won't be so happy when i use the shiny shiny dt to walk her @ 85 mph :biglaugha:

well i've been to have a look at the frame,and have a size up with seat-tank-panels-rear mudguard before final tweaks 002-1.jpg although the welds are too good? yamahaha used a special chicken poop splatter welder didn't they? :biglaugha:004.jpg also had a trial piece together of the engine 008.jpg007.jpg now its off to the engineering shop with the head ( 4FU but some c@*t had it sleeved :shakeno: ) rebore time i feel. plus the crank has to be checked due to its abuse..... my plan was to get all the bearings+gaskets+seals BUT....... i kinda spent the money on some other bits,i'll post some photo's when they arrive.... :hyper::elephant::doggy:

Dave, you've done an absolutely top job with that engine mate, I won't ask how you got it like that, it's easy enough to see, hard bloody graft is how, I think your main problem is going to be keeping it like that, may I suggest you invest in some ACF-50 spray (ebay) it will put a protective barrier against oxidisation spots in the aluminium, really good stuff, good for other parts too, such as rubber parts and switch gear paintwork, glad the wiring diagram was of some help too,

Dave, you've done an absolutely top job with that engine mate, I won't ask how you got it like that, it's easy enough to see, hard bloody graft is how, I think your main problem is going to be keeping it like that, may I suggest you invest in some ACF-50 spray (ebay) it will put a protective barrier against oxidisation spots in the aluminium, really good stuff, good for other parts too, such as rubber parts and switch gear paintwork, glad the wiring diagram was of some help too,

do you know what? i've seen that stuff about but never knew what it was? just read the write-up,sounds just the job! many thanks for the suggestion,it'll need all the protection it can get when i use it off road :biglaugha:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the positive comments,helps on the days when i can't be jaffed :biglaugha: nev's wiring diagram is awesome,i can read that well ( black lines on white paper i can't ) the dog won't be so happy when i use the shiny shiny dt to walk her @ 85 mph :biglaugha:

I've not checked in on your thread for a few days and I'm glad I hadn't because it was worth dropping in just to see that engine! You are one patient son of a bitch gun and my God is it paying off.

Oh as for 85 mph with the dog, how do you get a DT to do that speed without dropping it from a plane!!! :biglaugha:

Anyway, back to the engine, get it off the grass 'cos it's getting dirty :eusa_doh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online