Hey mister, can I stay please?

Leatherat
This post is 4681 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If your not wanting to stop or stop suddenly then back brake is the best in the wet. Some dont agree with this but it is better.

So every m/c instructor out there is lying about using an equal mix of front and back, then??!!

Front brake is more effective than back, even in the wet. ONLY time it's not is when riding on ice.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Car brake peddle operates all 4 brake discs no matter what......so the same applies to a bike its just that you have to be less lazy and move two parts of your body to do it. (unless you own an Exile chopper then you have a fancey twist clutch and the foot brake is both front a rear lol)

Cars can also lock up and fishtail, just like bikes do.

Difference is that locking up on a bike will low-side you, but can also high-side you and send you down the road with 37 stone of steel careening after you.

You want the right application of each brake so that your weight transfers properly to the area with the best traction. Typically, this is the front.

A little back brake in a corner is OK, as it drags you back online. Too much and you'll low-side over the outside of the bike. WAY too much and you will actually highside.

The rake angle on Cruisers means the weight tends to get pushed along the road, rather than down into it, so sometimes a little back is required to bring the weight down.

Watch professional Sports racers when they brake at high speed. The back wheel often starts lifting off a few inches.

If your not wanting to stop or stop suddenly then back brake is the best in the wet. Some dont agree with this but it is better. Lets ya know exactually what the bike is doing,,,then just release it if geting into boather,,,,,,,,,,where as if using front brake in the wet and ya have a miss-hap,,,,,,then ya get no chance and you will hit the ground.

So every m/c instructor out there is lying about using an equal mix of front and back, then??!!

Yes, :lol:if ya dont want to stop

Front brake is more effective than back, even in the wet. ONLY time it's not is when riding on ice.

Yes front brake is more effective both in dry and wet BUT in the wet going round a bend back brake is safer, you release it when ya feel bike move before ya get high/low-sided.

Go round the same bend and hit front brake, should the front move you will not get the chance to correct anything and down you will go.

Ttaskmaster,,,,,,me was just giving a wee tip, thats all

FOR THE NEWBEES

The sequence for braking is front first followed quickly by the rear.

Anyway,,,,,were thread hijacking now and i started it so apolagies :)

Yes front brake is more effective both in dry and wet BUT in the wet going round a bend back brake is safer, you release it when ya feel bike move before ya get high/low-sided.

Go round the same bend and hit front brake, should the front move you will not get the chance to correct anything and down you will go.

Ttaskmaster,,,,,,me was just giving a wee tip, thats all

FOR THE NEWBEES

The sequence for braking is front first followed quickly by the rear.

Anyway,,,,,were thread hijacking now and i started it so apolagies :)

A blip on the front brake, followed by rear brake, and while on the back brake a blip on the front again, calms the suspension down a bit, seeing as how the suspension has a big part to play in braking ;)

Na f**k the brakes all together!.... more throttle is what i say! :lol:

Arthur Davidson, the inventor of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle died and went to heaven. At the gates, St. Peter told him 'Since you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, you can hang out here with anyone you want to. He thought about it for a minute and then said, 'I want to hang out with God.' St. Peter took Arthur to the Throne Room, and introduced him to God.

God recognized him and said 'Okay, so you were the one who invented the Harley-Davidson motorcycle? Well, what's the big deal in inventing something that's pretty un-stable and makes loads of noise? There are some pretty major design flaws in your invention’.

1. There's too much inconsistency in the front-end suspension

2. It chatters constantly at high speeds

3. Most rear ends are too soft and wobble about too much

4. The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust

5. The maintenance costs are outrageous!!!!

Arthur was a bit embarrassed, but finally spoke, 'Excuse me’ he said, ‘but aren't you the inventor of woman?'

God said, 'Yes, what’s your point.'

'Well,' said Arthur, 'professional to professional, you have some major design flaws in your invention !

1. There's too much inconsistency in the front-end suspension

2. It chatters constantly at high speeds

3. Most rear ends are too soft and wobble about too much

4. The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust

5. The maintenance costs are outrageous!!!!

'Hmmmmm, you may have some good points there,' replied God,

'but more men are riding my invention than yours. :lol::lol::lol: