Am I thrashing my 125cc?

cheerfulgrin
This post is 4586 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i recently bought a YBR125 and i'm getting more confident at cornering and stuff now, i find myself at full throttle most of the time and when pulling onto the dual carriageway i'm accelerating up to about 9500 rpm in 3rd and 4th to get some speed up.

i'm just wondering if this is thrashing the bike a bit hard? most of the time I'm sat in 5th gear doing about 60ish mph (indicated) at about 8000rpm.

also the bikes only done 3600 miles, is this past the running in phase or is running in a thing of the past these days?

thanks for any advice, being a newbie i'm a bit unsure as to how much i can push it without breaking it!

Rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As long as there's oil, and its fresh as per the maintenance schedule intervals - give it handfulls ! at every opportunity ;)

As long as there's oil, and its fresh as per the maintenance schedule intervals - give it handfulls ! at every opportunity ;)

thats good to know, i've just got in from a trip to the garage, turned into a 20 minute thrashing around some nice A roads, lol :D

thanks for the reply ;)

Nah hammer it, although with peak torque at 6500 and peak power at 7500 you may actually be quicker if you changed at around 8500rpm rather than screwing every rpm out of 3rd.

Tried shifting gear earlier and it made no noticeable difference to the speed and sounded less throttled so seems its hit its peak by 8000 rpm or less. Was a lovely evening for the ride home today instead of windy as feck!

Ordered a screen for it today so will let you know what its like with that on :-D

Just out of interest, are the speedos a bit optimistic? I've had 78 mph indicated which I thought was probably possible if you fitted sails! lol

Tried shifting gear earlier and it made no noticeable difference to the speed and sounded less throttled so seems its hit its peak by 8000 rpm or less. Was a lovely evening for the ride home today instead of windy as feck!

Ordered a screen for it today so will let you know what its like with that on :-D

Just out of interest, are the speedos a bit optimistic? I've had 78 mph indicated which I thought was probably possible if you fitted sails! lol

Legally your spedometer is not allowed to under read, so to cover the innacuracies of manufacturing tolerance, tyre wear yadda yadda. The manufacturers are allowed to over read by as much as 10%.

A byproduct of this is, getting the spedo to overread as much as they can the manufacturers actually get you out of warranty etc 10%quicker. nice touch. Also optimistic instruments make the vehicles seem faster (and more economical) than they really are. That 10% will show as 10%more distance for your fuel.

Your 78MPH is probably at best 70. My tdr when its showing 100mph it is actually showing 86 on the sat nav and flat stick fast as she'll go m;lud is 104@ 9600ish rpm on the sat nav. Officially its 110 or therabouts so i'm happy with that. Spedo shows over 120mph though.

i know my xvs dragster 125 speedo is out by 3mph ....easy way to find out is to go past one of them speed camera thingys ...the ones that tell you what speed your doing then when you slow down say "thank you" go through one of them at exactly 35 or 40 mph then see what it reads on the sign b4 you slow down to the correct speed.

• 3 months later...

I would say yes, you *are* thrashing it a little.

Basically, change up just before the engine starts REALLY screaming and, where possible, increase throttle a bit slower. You'll tend to get slightly better performance.

Other than that, ride how you choose (but choose to be sensible enough to avoid accidents, at least).

125s are made for new riders, so they expect to get a thrashing. Yours seems nice and new, so go blasting, get some road time and enjoy!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online