Buying at auction - Stolen Recovered - Is it worth it

Julian-Liverpool
This post is 4701 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Umm beware proceed with caution if it has been in an accident the frame maybe bent/twisted/damaged and be very expensive too sort,

but if it is undamaged then maybe you will get a bargain, but it will have been umercifully thrashed especially if it is a small bike

merv

as long as your happy with a bike that has,

no history,

go for it.

and pray you get a bargain.

bearing in mind though,,

their isn't a god,

fingers crossed you may get lucky.

lady luck is usualy not on your side though.:)

I've never heard of a trade auction for bikes, like they have for cars to be honest (awiting some smart arse to shoot me down in flames! :lol: )

How about Police auctions? I know plod confiscate stuff if they think it's been bought with ill gotten gains ;)

Have you made your mind up as to whether it's going to be 650 or 1100?

Vehicles which go to auction always seem to me to be wrong 'uns that people just want rid of or ex fleet motors, which don't really apply to bikes (the old bill did sell off they're Pan europeans recently, but fleets of Dragstars are few and far between)

I'll keep an eye out for which ever you decide on, and if you want someone to have a look at any in the Sarfff let me know.

I've never heard of a trade auction for bikes, like they have for cars to be honest (awiting some smart arse to shoot me down in flames! :lol: )

sorry but i will shoot you down in flames.. :lol: there are a few trade auctions for bikes and any bikes sold will be declared as accident damage. but there are plenty of bikes that are ex finance company re-possesions. i have had a couple of nice bikes which had been repos but you still need to be aware re condition some will come with warrantys but will cost extra

Smart Arse! :lol::lol::lol:

Still, it sounds like an awful lot of hassle to me.......is the price reduction worth it?

yeh you can save a fair bit but like any auction you do really need to know what your doing.there will be a lot of dealers there as well as private buyers and it can get a bit of a hassle,armed with parkers trade guide so you can see what current values are set your self a ceiling and DONT go above it,its to easy to get carried away,i bought a r6 well in book price only to find out the i had underestimated the cost of replacement fairing lost a £150 on that so never made that mistake again, ran the other two bikes for a year and made money.

some bikes like your dragstar are booked a lot less than your asking price but you and i know people will pay more than book price for a good dragstar,dealers will just give you part ex price and are few and far between at auction.

The local Harley dealer offered me really good money on my Dragstar...........but it was against a £16,000 Heritage Softail! £16,000 I've got less than 20% of that to spend, I could have riden it away by supplying them with a signature and leaving my bike as PX, but then I'd have been sleeping with the Harley in the garage (Still tempted though! :D )

Thanks everyone again for the help

I would prefare a 1100 but the prices seem a little out of reach for now so may be the 650

I have found an auction that is selling to wooden, yes 'wooden' Harleys, they seem to be promo items and look great :-)

http://cav.auctionview.co.uk/StockDetail.asp?Registration=WOOD2&QueryStockIndex=42&RecCount=70&Selection=%2FQueryStock.asp&image=1&Sale=163356

copart.co.uk

-one of my colleagues cousins sold the Bristol branch to them (was under his name originally) and netted a cool £7million.