xj550 classic or not???

markt
This post is 3546 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all i have just bought a 1981 xj550 with the intention of street fightering it but now im thinking this bike is in real good condition for a 30 year old bike and would be a shame to pull it apart. is this a classic and worth keeping in original condition for showing.

come on guys n girls let me hear your advice please

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi all i have just bought a 1981 xj550 with the intention of street fightering it but now im thinking this bike is in real good condition for a 30 year old bike and would be a shame to pull it apart. is this a classic and worth keeping in original condition for showing.

just do a restore .. I remember the first one of those I pulled out of it's crate ... looked awesome and had the nick name of 'fire on wheels' .. for the reason of a 550 (528cc) being able to clock 120 mph and steer too (in the day).

Things to watch on the motor :-

The oil sprayer behind the alternator .. if it blocks up the clutch release bearing will fail along with the primary chain

Carb balance without the YICS tool ,,, the motor will knock at idle

Classic facelick.gif for sure yesssssss

It isn't going to make much of a street fighter, 550 :huh: ?

Seriously depends what your into. Ripping apart a tidy old stager like that 550 to have a go at fightering would be a waste IMHO but if all your mates run round on fighters and you live for the show in, ? Sheffield, and your happy to rebuild it every winter so its not out of date. Then fighter it.

As a classic on the other hand, plods leave you alone. Parts are easy to get. Neighbours are happy and you have nothing and nobody to worry about blating down old A roads except where your stopping for a pee/fag/coffee, (any or all three as req). Safe in the knowledge that even with a bit of stick you are really not going to get more than a 'your old enough to know better' from the plods.

I have specifically downsized to a smaller older bike (the TDR) as riding that at 8/10ths is massively more fun than frustrated hyperspeed jumps between traffic on the old 600 i had.

Classic for me mate, no brainer.

just do a restore .. I remember the first one of those I pulled out of it's crate ... looked awesome and had the nick name of 'fire on wheels' .. for the reason of a 550 (528cc) being able to clock 120 mph and steer too (in the day).

Things to watch on the motor :-

The oil sprayer behind the alternator .. if it blocks up the clutch release bearing will fail along with the primary chain

Carb balance without the YICS tool ,,, the motor will knock at idle

Classic facelick.gif for sure yesssssss

Woah, Jim where have you been lurking....... :D

Are you back or just passing.

1st of all.... :welcome: to the forum Markt .... & Congrats on your purchase. ;)

Myself, I'm NO stranger to XJ's.....owned (3) 550's & a 750 in the past.....

Rode this one for over 13years......daily, year-round.....& it had 130k on the clock & ran like a champ when I sold it. B)

MySeca.jpg

ALOT of great memories on this Beast.....

Best of Luck with yours ;)

def a classic and worth more in original form. better for insurance anyway, and you can get it on classic insurance £100 fully comp with breakdown anyone?

Woah, Jim where have you been lurking....... :D

Are you back or just passing.

I do monitor the site ... & only answer to posts that I'm sure I am correct on rolleyes.gif but saying that I could just start adding more silly comments tongue.gif

Regards Jim

I do monitor the site ... & only answer to posts that I'm sure I am correct on rolleyes.gif but saying that I could just start adding more silly comments tongue.gif

Regards Jim

Jim the T'internet Stalker....... :mellow:

• 3 years later...
This post is 3546 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.