What toys to have?

wild foamy
This post is 4861 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello peeps

the snow has resided, i have a new front tyre on its way for the XJ, and it is time for me to venture outside of the warm confines of my 4x4 back onto the XJ... but i cant help but want to tinker with it...

so far the only toys i have are heated grips, but i want to change that, what options are available for an old(er) bike such as the '89 XJ? i used to have a fender extender but that fell off in town and i ran it over,

i have also been looking at universal steering dampers but unsure as to how i would fit one, and a motorcycle radio with headphone attachments

basically looking for any gadgets or toys to make the journey more comfortable, input appreciated as always,

foameh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should get a back heater for keeping your back and other parts warm during long trips. They sit right behind you, snuggle up close and hold on tight. I've tried several models but experience has shown that brunettes have kept me the warmest!

But be carefull...they can be high maintenance and very expensive if something goes wrong! :P

Rocky

But be carefull...they can be high maintenance and very expensive if something goes wrong! :P

They don't mix'n match either. So you can only have one at a time, you can get away with using two different types but they explode if they come together. Simple models are cheap and readily available, as are the less perfected ones (or seconds) but you soon get a bit tired of the constant attention required .

I have one that I've had for many years now and it takes some ongoing modifications to get them just right, sometimes they just don't sit properly and need some further mods. But once you get one that fits and doesn't need any maintenance then you are best to keep it and move it from bike to bike.

I’ve only had two in 34 years. The first had shaggy red upholstery and never seemed fit right (you might want to avoid those… faulty). The second fit proper right from the start and has become more comfortable over the past 20 years. The only issue I’ve had with this one is that it occasionally wants to push forward into the front seat, which leaves no room for me. I haven’t found any fix for that yet, but I have discovered that if I’m patient, it usually warms me up later when I least expect.

40MR

Those are all good points Guys. I hope Foamy is making notes.

The other important thing to remember is that the country of origin is very important. I currently have an Italian model. Works quite well, good endurance, doesn't smoke but has a very limited return policy ...Infact, to return it you have to get special permission from P.Ope in Rome who is the head of the warranty department.

I noticed in another posting that Foamy was looking for a free ride before he bought a XJ. It may be that he feels the same about backwarmers and is concerned about acquiring the wrong model. I would therefore suggest that Foamy could decide on a couple of models that he is interested in, forward them on to us and we could test them for him.

Only a thought to help out a fellow rider.

Rocky

ive had my fair share of free rides and have to say its too much work, reminds me of lithium polymer batteries, under the right conditions they will go on for ages, but one little problem and the whole lot can erupt into flames and set fire to your clothes (i liked those jeans, bitch... and i still want my CDs back)

however, with the XJ being such a small bike, it is just comfortable enough with my 9st. frame perched on top, not sure how well it would react to a double load (stop sniggering at the back...)

for Goff, i would make an exception, but alas she has gone :(

Oh, you never what to overload them. They’ll look like everything is in working order, but they just stop. It’s like flooding a carb. If you keep at it, you’ll just wear the battery down and risk damaging parts. No matter how many years I’ve tinkered with ‘em, I’ve never developed a good technical understanding of that whole self-lube system.

Wow, you guys got warranties? Mine was an ‘all sales are final’ promotion. In fact, I think trying to remove and return it now could be extremely hazardous. The edges can be razor sharp if not handled properly.

I do think that conducting tests for a fellow rider is an idea that has merit. I’m just having a hard time picturing it. Do you have any photos of a stripped down unit?

40MR

Mine has been pretty good, was originally a brunette but the sun does damage things and so some touching up is needed to remove the greyer patches from the trim so has some red go faster stripes added in and it does have some extra padding for those long distance rides, getting wet or cold seems to be a real problem though now.

I have had little trouble otherwise. It has been central to the creation of two next gen models for the future.

Mine has been pretty good, was originally a brunette but the sun does damage things and so some touching up is needed to remove the greyer patches from the trim so has some red go faster stripes added in and it does have some extra padding for those long distance rides, getting wet or cold seems to be a real problem though now.

I have had little trouble otherwise. It has been central to the creation of two next gen models for the future.

:lol::lol:

Cynic raises a good point. Maintenance of your back heater is important and results can be spotty if the adjustments are not completed correctly. I've found over the years that communication between the back heater unit and the main driver seems to break down for no apparent reason and then.... starts up again. Years ago if communications broke down I would try to analyze the immediately preceeding operating conditions. I'd check all the usual items such as the UBS port and I would push all the buttons but sometimes that seemed to make the communication problem worse. The real problem is that the damn things don't come with an operators manual. Bikes come with manuals..some one should write a good manual for back heaters. I suggest they keep it simple, use small words and large print. :P

This may be a project the YOC wants to take on!

Rocky