Christmas Present

johnsnownw
This post is 4884 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Holy shit, is that a Beretta Cougar 8000?

I always wanted one of those ever since I saw it!!!

I love Berettas.

f*cks sake, why cant we get stuff like that over here?...

f*cking government... <_<

I think you are allowed to have guns. It's just that you have to pay a boatload of money to acquire a permit. Or so I thought.

In the UK there are very stringent firearms laws, possesion of the gun you had for christmas would get you a minimum of 5 years at Her Majesty's pleasure (jail time).

Check this out for the rules http://www.durham.police.uk/info/firearms/firearms_info/prohibited_weapons.php but basically, rifles and shot guns are OK but you must be in possesion of a firearms licence (not all that easy to get hold of, certainly not like the states) and air guns are pretty much OK but everything else is a no no

The knife in the picture (it is a knife isn't it?) would also cause you severe problems if the police found you with it, UK knife law explained here http://www.goxplore.net/guides/Knife_law_(UK)

Restricting acsess to weaponary is overall a very good thing, but the Human being is a resourceful animal and the meare fact that an item has a prohibiton placed on it, does not in itself make that object unobtainable, as has been proven countless times since these laws have been in force.

All fireams in Canada must be registered. Inorder to purchase a long gun or a handgun you have to complete a 4 page form and submit it to the RCMP to obtain a Possesion and Aquisition License (PAL). The RCMP do a criminal search and then contact your spouse to make sure your spouse knows you are trying to get a PAL and to ensure she/he has no objections. If you have a history of beating your spouse or any record of criminal charges then you can not get a PAL. It is very difficult to obtain a handgun in Canada.

When you sell a gun you have to make sure the purchaser has a PAL and you must complete a form advising the Gun Registry who you sold it to and what the PAL # is.

You can only buy ammo if you have either a valid PAL or POL. All ammo purchases are recorded at the time of purchase and the info mustbe submitted to the National Gun Registry for tracking purposes.

Illegal storage of ammo or guns, use of fireams in a crime, possession of illegal firearms (fully automatic) or unregistered firearms results in serious jail time.

My wife and I do a lot of hunting and trap shooting and the registration process is a pain in the ass, but for the most part it is acceptable to us.

If you enjoy the shooting sports check out this German indoor gun range. I'd love to shoot trap in a place like this.

Rocky

In the UK there are very stringent firearms laws, possesion of the gun you had for christmas would get you a minimum of 5 years at Her Majesty's pleasure (jail time).

Check this out for the rules http://www.durham.police.uk/info/firearms/firearms_info/prohibited_weapons.php but basically, rifles and shot guns are OK but you must be in possesion of a firearms licence (not all that easy to get hold of, certainly not like the states) and air guns are pretty much OK but everything else is a no no

The knife in the picture (it is a knife isn't it?) would also cause you severe problems if the police found you with it, UK knife law explained here http://www.goxplore.net/guides/Knife_law_(UK)

Restricting acsess to weaponary is overall a very good thing, but the Human being is a resourceful animal and the meare fact that an item has a prohibiton placed on it, does not in itself make that object unobtainable, as has been proven countless times since these laws have been in force.

Yeah, while I was in Glasgow there was mention of a deadline for turning in knives to the police with no recourse.

It is a knife, and a very good one. It's used by police and the military.

Frankly, I'm on the fence about gun-control. I like the fact that I can purchase one, just not sure about allowing everyone else ;)

In all seriousness, it was a drawn out process to get this pistol. I had to file for a permit, where they check your background, which was several pages long. Then when I went to purchase the gun I had to fill out more paperwork and calls had to be made. It took about 45 min to have the gun in my hands from the time I walked into the store with my permit.

The reasons I purchased the gun is as follows: target shooting, mechanical maintenance and personal protection. Personal protection is about 10% of the reason I bought it, but it's nice to know that if someone breaks into my house, and more than likely has a gun, that I won't be defenseless. That is not to say that if someone breaks into my house I'm going to go all Rambo on them, just that I am not completely at the mercy of the intruder. I would say that I never thought about personal protection until I got married, it's more that I fear for my wifes safety than my own. Odd how that happens.

Drewpy: That is a ridiculous advert and I hope it is fake, but have a feeling it is not.

Close, it's a Beretta PX4 Storm.

Aha, I have heard of these. I must go Google them!!! :D

Sounds like some pretty advanced features.

Notable similarities/rip-offs from the Glock and other such polymer pistols, but I like Beretta so I don't mind.

I'd buy one, but only after I'd bought a 92F, Tomcat, Bobcat, Jetfire, Cougar and a couple of the 1930s models.

Given that we can only buy deacts/replicas under current UK law, I'll have to wait until I win the lottery!!

Frankly, I'm on the fence about gun-control. I like the fact that I can purchase one, just not sure about allowing everyone else ;)

Quote of the year.....already! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The reasons I purchased the gun is as follows: target shooting, mechanical maintenance and personal protection. Personal protection is about 10% of the reason I bought it, but it's nice to know that if someone breaks into my house, and more than likely has a gun, that I won't be defenseless. That is not to say that if someone breaks into my house I'm going to go all Rambo on them, just that I am not completely at the mercy of the intruder. I would say that I never thought about personal protection until I got married, it's more that I fear for my wifes safety than my own. Odd how that happens.

I'm in total agreement with what you say, If a felon comes into my house whether the intent is burgalry or bodily harm, I as the householder should have any and all means of resisting the intrusion. If the offender is hurt, shot, killed, mamed so be it. The householder has to be given back the upperhand, after all in the dead of night, asleep in your pajamas you've little enough chance against someone who is awake and fired up. If the law here in the Uk was different, my house would be filled to the brim with all manner of weaponary to assist in repellling boarders, but many cases in recent times have put the defending householder behind bars whilst granting financial compensation to injured criminals, which makes it too much of a risk.

Oh and what is meant by 'Mechanical maintanance'?

Oh and what is meant by 'Mechanical maintanance'?

Much like the enjoyment I get by working on my bike, maintaining the gun as a working machine is something I look forward to.

As for the criminal coming out ahead in home invasion situations, it's not an outcome limited to the U.K. justice system. That kind of crap happens here all the time, which is just absurd.

Sounds like some pretty advanced features.

Notable similarities/rip-offs from the Glock and other such polymer pistols, but I like Beretta so I don't mind.

I'd buy one, but only after I'd bought a 92F, Tomcat, Bobcat, Jetfire, Cougar and a couple of the 1930s models.

Given that we can only buy deacts/replicas under current UK law, I'll have to wait until I win the lottery!!

I would go with the 92FS as it's an improved model over the 92F. My next pistol, if I get one, would be a Browning High-Power. I bought the PX4 due it's simplified maintenance, cost and review status. It's my first gun, no sense in purchasing something shiny and expensive to learn on.

I've shot Glocks, which I'm not impressed with. They are like Honda's to me, that it to say, functional but without soul.

Ok, I can dig the maintenance thing, just didn't understand the term :)

Over here we often hear that in the states (especially Texas) you can legally shoot/kill an intruder if they are on your property but not if they're already away from the house. Is that not true then?

Ok, I can dig the maintenance thing, just didn't understand the term :)

Over here we often hear that in the states (especially Texas) you can legally shoot/kill an intruder if they are on your property but not if they're already away from the house. Is that not true then?

Texas, which is not one of my favorite states, does have laws or at least interpretations of the laws that seem more beneficial to gun owners.

Like anything pertaining to the law, however, there are always extenuating circumstances. It's not as black and white as shooting someone in your house as opposed to outside of it, determining fault. You are better off, from a legal perspective, shooting someone in your house. However, just because they are in your house, doesn't mean that you won't be punished for doing so.

Until recently, that used to be the case in South Africa.

If the intruder was black, often the police would drag the body back onto your property and square things away so the evidence matched, making it a clear cut case and minimal paperwork.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online