Yamaha XVS125 gears & getting into neutral problem

Nickybwild
This post is 4873 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Hope you are all well and looking forward to Xmas!!

My name's Nicky and this is my very first post :)

I've recently purchased a 2005 Yamaha XVS Dragstar. LOVE IT :)

Only slight problem is with the gears. I have no problems switching when on the move, however, when at standstill, I'm having a little problem shifting her from 1 into neutral. I'm probably just not used to it but if I tap the gears gently, they won't move, and if I tap them slightly harder, it ups to 2.

Now after about 4-5 attempts, the gears won't go up from 1 at all. I have to drive her for a bit (whereby changing gears is fine) and then come to a stop. Again I will get a few attempts to get her into neutral.

Is this normal??? Does anyone have any useful tips?

Sorry about the complete noob question but this is my very first geared bike!!

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance and HAPPY XMAS to you all!!!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nicky check your oil mate,the xvs draggy 125 gearbox uses the engine oil.if it seems ok when you've been driving sounds like the oil is pumping round.if its cold started the oil hasn't had time to move into the box.I'd put money on oil mate.

Hi guys,

Hope you are all well and looking forward to Xmas!!

My name's Nicky and this is my very first post :)

I've recently purchased a 2005 Yamaha XVS Dragstar. LOVE IT :)

Only slight problem is with the gears. I have no problems switching when on the move, however, when at standstill, I'm having a little problem shifting her from 1 into neutral. I'm probably just not used to it but if I tap the gears gently, they won't move, and if I tap them slightly harder, it ups to 2.

Now after about 4-5 attempts, the gears won't go up from 1 at all. I have to drive her for a bit (whereby changing gears is fine) and then come to a stop. Again I will get a few attempts to get her into neutral.

Is this normal??? Does anyone have any useful tips?

Sorry about the complete noob question but this is my very first geared bike!!

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance and HAPPY XMAS to you all!!!!!

Happy Christmas to you too

Had same problem with mine when first bought. Changed the engine oil and the problem dissappeared, made changing a piece of cake. Old/contaminated oil doesnt work very well. Be sure to use the correct specification oil, without anti friction modifiers. I use Silkolene Super 41 10W40, £5 to £6 per litre. As OG says, change downwards while the bike is still moving (block changing).

Youll also find links to service/owners manuals on these pages.

Good luck

Ray

HELLO NICKY

boy nicky or girl nicky?

ANYWAY, like the guys say, it could be the oil, and might well be the oil.

BUT before you go and spend money changing it all over, try adjusting the gear lever a little. The best way to describe it is the "rod" (giggle) between the pedal and the engine. Just ever ever ever so slightly. I used to have the same problem and, after adjusting it, found it so much easier to kick into N. Don't get me wrong, it wont change anything if it is a bigger problem, it just may be easier to do with your foot ever so slightly at a different angle - get what I'm sayin'???

Anyway, just advising before you go about changing all the stuff around, might make a difference? As someone already said, could just be the cold. After riding it a while, then stopping and switching off, is it still a problem? Also, gears - in general - don't like shifting without the engine running. Bringing us to a common dilemma with bikes. It wont start "in-gear", yet to get it out of gear the engine has to be started. Paradoxical Circular Logic, they call it, just to mess with your minds... :o

Anyway, hope I've helped.

p.s. much of this thread is bollocks, it's christmas and I've just got back from "le pub"

change the oil. (unless you did it 3 months ago id recommend you do that 1st) then have a look on your clutch lever, follow the cable down to the engine and you will come to a bit that is bigger than the cable. this is the adjuster for the clutch, now its a bit of trial and error but pull back the rubber cover and undo it by 2-3 turns. start the bike up and put into 1st, slowly (and i mean very slowly!) release the clutch to find the biting point till the bike starts to go for wards. then pull clutch in and put it into neutral. should go in nicely!

the adjuster for the clutch sorts out the biting point so if you undo it it makes the cable tighter and the biting point on the lever will be closer to the top, and if you do it up, it slackens the cable so you would need to pull the clutch lever more to hit the biting point.

this should sort it out for you! :D

merry Christmas m8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

First off HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Hope you all had a good one! I've only just recovered, hence the late response!

Just wanted to say a massive massive thanks to you all! Really appreciate it!

Best wishes for the new year ahead...I'm sure

I'll speak to you all soon!