Newbie on a Yamaha YBR125

Head_hunter
This post is 4918 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello and good afternoon to all

I have been a car driver since the age of 17....im now 29 - where did the time go?

well, anyways, as I was nearing my mid-life crisis, I decided to undertake a huge trip with 2 other people in a 1 liter nissan micra - nicknamed the ghengis car - I drove from london UK to Ulaanbator, Mongolia. After a lot of planning, countless visas, lots of american dollars, corrupt border officials and everything going wrong.....5 weeks later I arrived at UB, tired, dirty, smelly, proud and somewhat fragile after eating nothing but mutton and noodles for a whole week.

Upon my arrival I decided 9813 miles wasn't enough, I got my arse over to Beijing china, from there I touched down on the other side of the world and continued east until I hit the sea......There, I had what can only be described as a revelation: I'm getting a bike.

My girfriend met me in Beijing and I told her my plan - She thought it was the stress of the trip and an idea that would be forgotten upon my return to London. Shooting for the stars I guess.

Anyways, i got back, 2 weeks laterI booked myself on a CBT course locally - thinking this is the minimum I need to scratch my itch.

Having no riding experience (except being a passanger on a friends fire blade and 2 scooter rentals in cyprus and rome). I summoned the balls to go manual instead of the automatic. I done some research and decided on an Aprilia RS125 as the bike earmarked to start this epic journey upon completion of my CBT, but.....out of nowhere, I met the YBR 125 - the bike im doing my CBT on.

Needless to say I had half a day of pleasure and my instructor was fantastic (west london training school)- out on the road wired up to my instructor and his words of wisdom in my ear gave confidence to ride naturally. My instructor was happy with my riding and recommended I go on to do a DAS - which only strengthened my resolve to become a fully fledged rider!

fast forward 2 weeks and now I am the proud owner of a metallic grey Yamaha YBR 125. I picked it up yesterday at 4pm, 5pm I was out of the show room with a standard helmet, jacket, gloves, a couple of stalls (false neutral) and rode down the A316 limiting myself to 5000rpm to not damage the engine heading home. I got home, parked up, inside the house I felt a little lost, so I jumped back on the bike and just rode for 60 odd miles through streets, country lanes, dual carriage ways and whatever I can find to test out the bike.....Even though at the moment I can only get up to about 40 MPH I still managed to have alot of fun.

The more I ride the bike the better I feel at riding. This morning I was getting ready to go to work and decided to take a 7 mile detour as it was such a beautiful morning - and I really was not disappointed.

Anyways....I know I'm far from being a biker yet - im under no illusions and I know maybe the novelty will wear off and all im going to do is be grumpy about rain and the cold, aching legs and ect....

However, for the first time in years, I can honestly say I never had a commute so good. The vents on my helmet made my face cold but that smile was still there.

I joined the forum last night just to read some threads about how to take better care of my ybr until I upgrade next summer (maybe). But it seems like there's a "fight club" scene in which is all to alien to me - hence the point of this article.

I would like to apologise if this wasted your time, I would also like to apologise about all the stupid questions I will post on here.

Hass

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

welcome to the forum, the problems people on here have with newbies is the fact that most join to get mechanical help, then we never here from them again.

all is asked is a introduction and you have more than done that, that was a good insight into a new rider and i hope you continue to ride.

as for not liking the cold or wet, i expect i speak for a lot of riders when i say i did all my commuting in all weathers when i was young, now my bike has never seen rain since i have owned it.

not because im a wimp but i only ride for fun now. :welcome: chris

Thanks chris.

Touch wood I don't need any mechanical help (just yet) but more honestly I really wouldnt know where to start!!!

I must admit I was so scared when I started this - but even though i have a good car (2003 Toyota Celica) - I always felt jealous seeing a yamaha beautiful yamaha, ducati or suzuki growl slowly past me.....I just sit there in awe.

I was always put off by the precieved dangers attached to riding a bike but now that im on the bike - I actually feel alot better on the road.

I know I'm years away but honestly I cannot wait to become one of those guys who retire early so they can just work on bikes for the rest of time.

if you have your wits about you at all times bikes are safe enough, in my experience though cars seem to take more notice of bigger bikes and tend to have no respect for learners.

this was always the case when i used to swap my yzf 750 for my wifes 100 cc scooter, but perhaps its just me. chris

Failte: to the YOC Hunter. B)

enjoy your bike, i here there pritty good.

Once bitten by the bike bug, it never goes away ! ! !

hope ya enjoy your stay here.

Welcome to the Dark Side young Padawan

....I know I'm far from being a biker yet ....

Have to disagree, when you come out with a statement like this ....

...I got home, parked up, inside the house I felt a little lost, so I jumped back on the bike and just rode for 60 odd miles...

.... you're a biker whether you realise it or not!

Guest CardBoardDave

I know maybe the novelty will wear off and all im going to do is be grumpy about rain and the cold, aching legs and ect....

Its never the wrong type of weather its the wrong gear. I like riding in the wet tbh and dont let the fact your an l plater (like me) limit your adventures either

Welcome to the forum, a very nice introduction there.

I've been on the road for about 15 months and so far the novelty hasn't worn off. Like yourself I was a car driver from the age of 17 but didn't move to 2 wheels until 34 years old - something I haven't regretted. :D

welcome to the forum and very well done with the intro! sounds like your a biker at heart but opted for 4 wheels instead of 2 lol

well hope you enjoy your new found love and have many years of happy riding! soooooo glad you didnt get a aprillia rs 125! yeah there fast and they look quite sporty but it would be off the road most of the year being repaired, (i wouldnt recommend it for a 1st bike at all!) but yeah good choice with the ybr should last you as long as you need it to and be a nice ride. be safe m8 and enjoy yourself! :D

.Paul.

It is never too late... I was riding 50 cc at the age of 18 (never owned one, rode the ones of friends after passing the test of my car license in germany).

Back in 2009, aged 34 -> made the A1 license in Switzerland and bought a old Honda 125 cc scooter... Cheaper and also reliable (had about 20 km to work and back).

Now another year has passed by - the first year with my YBR 125. :)

I hope we will be able to see some pictures? ;)

Greetings from germany, Martin

thanks for the welcome guys

Sorry i've not been on here as much as I would like! As for pictures of Ulanbataar - I will add them - I'm still finding my way around the forums B)

I've clocked up 180 miles on my bike already - and yeah i'm slowly getting use to the idea - no longer intimidated by the whole scares of it all (rate of stalling went from every single light i stop at to non existant).

I agree with the comment about drivers not caring/respecting learners. Riding around london is still pretty raw - I keep getting cut up left right and center by cabbies, buses, merc, mini, audi and BMW drivers - it seems the BMW and mini drivers in particular seem to actually go out of their way to try and mame me :D but hey - ce la vie.

I would like some guidance about riding the YBR, it seems to have a tempremental 1st gear selection. I am not sure if it is me as a rider or just a characteristic of the bike. Would like some advise on that.

Also, I was riding to my girlfriend's and was on the A13 on the section dotted with Pylons - the wind kept pushing against me sideways and while i managed to control it - it was one hell of a ride :D

I've not had this bike long and i'm still breaking the engine in but I'm already looking at choices for a next bike and doing a bit of research on A2/DAS licences......

Yes - I have cought the bug.

Have you tried an oil change?

The YBR is known for 1st / 2nd / neutral selection problems, particularly when cold or when changing down fast through the gears, the solution when it sticks being to declutch until you hear a "clunk" and re-clutch and knock it into the correct gear. My old YBR used to have this problem regularly and there was no way I found to prevent it.

The current YBR I have almost never sticks between gears, could be luck of the draw but could easily be down to maintenance. The previous owner had looked after it well and maintained it properly - it was garaged, had never been out in the rain, and was totally immaculate when I bought it.

The one time it started to stick on occasion since I've owned it, I gave it a full oil change and the problem went away immediately.

cheers Mark

it does happen when i go down to quickly, I do declutch to clunk but didnt think it was good for the bike.

My bike is brand new - I've already scratched though :D - luckily its the exhaust cover/plastiky thingy. Wasn't dropped but i had to squeeze into a mates house and cought the brick work in the dark without realising it!

I will be taking it in for a maintenance in about another 350 miles (220 miles on the clock), hopefully it will be alright afterwards.

cheers Mark

it does happen when i go down to quickly, I do declutch to clunk but didnt think it was good for the bike.

My bike is brand new - I've already scratched though :D - luckily its the exhaust cover/plastiky thingy. Wasn't dropped but i had to squeeze into a mates house and cought the brick work in the dark without realising it!

I will be taking it in for a maintenance in about another 350 miles (220 miles on the clock), hopefully it will be alright afterwards.

Whilst taking my lessons on a 18 month old YBR I often had trouble getting into neutral and also 2nd. Didn't think it was major at the time because it was fairly new and low mileage. Maybe just a trait of ybr's?

Shame about scratching the exhaust cover but suppose that's what it's there for....

Guest CardBoardDave

As you go down the box give it a double squeaze on the clutch lever. Also if the revs are very low just blip it as you drop into first

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online