WR400,426 or 450?

DE54 NOG
This post is 4959 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, im looking at down sizing my sports bike and getting a supermoto so i can still have lots of fun. Ive had a go of a WR 400 and loved it so i am looking at getting one but i dont know which is going to be better, a 400, a 426 or a 450. With the cc's being so close im confused as to which to look into. Any help will be greatly appreciated

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello, i don't really know much about them, but i suppose if the slightly smaller engines have no advantage over the 450, then get the 450....unless you want to get a wr200 2 smoker mwhaha :D

hello, i don't really know much about them, but i suppose if the slightly smaller engines have no advantage over the 450, then get the 450....unless you want to get a wr200 2 smoker mwhaha  :D

I thought all the WR*** range were 4-strokes and started at 250cc?

thats what i thought untill my friends brother got hold of one, i'll try and get a picture, it's a very nice bike :D

thats what i thought untill my friends brother got hold of one, i'll try and get a picture, it's a very nice bike  :D

A pic would be nice, i like the WR styling but prefer 2-strokes so this sounds the best of both B)

A, yes Vez, but back in the day there was a WR 200 and also a WR 500. Both of them were 2 stroke. They were aimed at the US market if i can remember correct. (might be wrong )

They were made espicaly for enduro, had lights and electricks but were not road legal. The DT 200 is probably the closest resemblence today, with the only change being electrick power-valve and oil injection.

Look under some rocks on a sandy beach and i bet ya could still get your hands on one,,,,,,they were the king of the sand-dumes and would put any KTM200 to shame.

A, yes Vez, but back in the day there was a WR 200 and also a WR 500. Both of them were 2 stroke. They were aimed at the US market if i can remember correct. (might be wrong )

They were made espicaly for enduro, had lights and electricks but were not road legal. The DT 200 is probably the closest resemblence today, with the only change being electrick power-valve and oil injection.

Look under some rocks on a sandy beach and i bet ya could still get your hands on one,,,,,,they were the kind of the sand-dumes and would put any KTM200 to shame.

ahhh i think my friends wr200 has had the electric powervalve put on his im not too sure :blink: ... but he did an enduro on it, and he was absolutely destroying other bikes up hills, its a total beast :D

Hi, im looking at down sizing my sports bike and getting a supermoto so i can still have lots of fun. Ive had a go of a WR 400 and loved it

Before you drop down too far, in terms of power, take a look at the other Supermoto's out there. The WR is a fine bike, but I suspect you are going to find it a little uncomfortable after a while - Off course this depends on where you ride to!

Have a look at the Dorsoduro, if you thought the WR was fun then you are going to have a sexual experience when you ride one of these. From all the bikes I'm tried, I think the Aprillia is the most fun, although I don't know about living with it.

The XT660X will also give you lots of smils per mile, and has some comfort for long distance stuff. Be aware thoug that there are some fueling issues and you'd need to spend some more cash to deal with the 'surging' (PC-V & K&N/DNA filters)

Alternativly, look at some of the trail bikes out there, just for a comparison. These are alot of fun at speed that won't see your licience gathering points like a cheap fruit machine. I always had fast bikes before I picked up my TTR, now I have the XT and it's the best fun. I'd sell the XJR but it's the only bike the wife will ride...

No harm in taking a look around, even if you go for the WR in the end, at least you'll be sure it's the right bike.

Im pretty sure the wr450 is the modern version enduro bike and the 400, 436 were made more as trail bikes.

Basically depends if you want full on race power delivery or easier to live with and reliability of a trail bike but

the 436 and 400 seem hard to get hold of now :( i really want a wr before i got my CCM but couldnt find one for a good price.

If you want a good 400 supermoto id say go for a CCM 404 B)

• 4 weeks later...

Let me add what I think I know about these bikes. The WR's are basically YZF's with wide ratio transmission and different exhast cams. They also came with headlights and tail lights. Personally, I would go with the 05-06 450 because it has the electric starter and 07-on has the aluminum frame.

Early 90s had the 2 stroke WR 250 and 500.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online