What is a 'Good Bike Road' ?

Gas up - Let's Go!
This post is 5034 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK chaps, there's no right or wrong answer to this, just opinions.

What makes a Good Bike Road ?? I purchased a copy of 'Best Biking Roads' a year or two back, mainly because it is waterproof and small enough to keep with the bike. The 'great ' roads are highlighted in the book, but I find that these roads are full of traffic, or worse.....

So what makes a good road for you ?

For me, I like twisty moutain roads, the sort that are full of pot-holes and little traffic. I like high passes and lonely valleys where the average speed is just right to enjoy the view.

When I have the wife on the back, which means the XJR is out then I find I preffer more open sweeping roads with wide lanes and good visability all round. I don't mind traffic so much, but is this becuase of the bike or the fact I have the mother of my daughter on the back and I'm more interested in staying safe ??

Sometimes I can go down one road and love it, a week later I hate it..... What's that about ?

I find that the least enjoyable ride is amoung other bikers, wierd? I don't mean mates, but when you either come across a group of bikes or they catch you, traffic is bad but I find many bikers are worse (especially those I'd class as Power Rangers). I know I said "I don't mean mates", but that not quite true,,,, there are mates of mine who I won't ride with because of their 'reckless' style <_<

So is a good road down to frame of mind? type of bike? traffic? weather?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would say my favourite kinds of roads are the roads with very few straights. Corners that just flow into another corner, then another.

Other days, I prefer country roads. Tight little quick roads.

I wish I lived closer to Snowdon, as I'd be up and down it every chance I get, especially the Horseshoe pass

I like riding alone, usually at night or on long distance trips.

I do enjoy motorways, almost as much as country roads.

So is a good road down to frame of mind? type of bike? traffic? weather?

Yes. :)

Well Gas-up,

It seems we like the same sort of roads, (and bikes for that matter)

I think the frame of mind im in determins the roads i chose and my destination (if i have one). I am most of the time a lone rider, ridding lonley roads with very little traffic (im not a loner lol), these are the types of roads i like, twisty, up and down mountains, sweeping through a valley with hills either side searching for nice seenery and somewhere i havent been before. This to me is true bikeing at its best----and i love it !

With age, i think the type of bike we have or want changes. The bike you had when ya were a young fella would more than likely not be the bike you would want today. Take me for example: my CBR600 has served me well over the years, clocking up just under 80000 i think, however now i feel i have out grown this bike and need a dual-sports touring bike (i'll leave that story for a different post).The CBR is now not the bike i need for the roads i like and the places i want to go.

In traffic and ordinary roads i am very much at home aswell, just not as relaxed. I really demand my side of the road and use it all, eg. left bend--i'ill be in the offside position, right bend--i'll be in the nearside position, as well as giving good vision arround the bend this also makes car drivers behind weery of what your at so they tend to keep there distance.Im not really a fan of motorways or heavy trafic so i tend to avoid them when i can. When the wife is on the back i am a different rider, much more causious.

Your Question : So is a good road down to frame of mind? Type of bike? Traffic? Weather?

My opinion is yes to all of these.

ps. A road is what you make of it----never let the road control you.

Happy Travels everyone:)

• 2 weeks later...

i prefer a newly laid streatch of road (say about a year old) in about 2:30 in the morning nice and smooth with a few sweeping bends leading to a nice long straight so you can hit close to top speed then slow down to some nice bends, but then sometimes i love the nice narrow country lanes up my way with sharp bends leading over a bridge to a long straight. just depends how i feel at the time....oh and matlock bath is a good ride :D

Was on a group ride out on Sunday, took us over the Horseshoe Pass, Wales. That, for me, was one of the best roads I have ever driven on. The only straight was where the Ponderosa Cafe was (Right at the top) After that, it's just the hill going down again.

Beautiful Road.

Well already it seems I have learned it's not all about speed but cornering is actually more important. I find that a nice Sunday morning with the sun just rising shining through the crisp trees in autumn sounds rather lovely to me just as the leaves are falling on what is known to my family as a wiggly woggily road to normal people a road which varies in height drastically and has alot of bends seeing as my bike struggles to take corners easily (so I'm told I have no experience on other bikes so never had anything to compare to) and due to this I have had to learn to counter steer rather quickly (not complaining it's a good thing) and preferably with little traffic as well so I conclude I want a bendy altitude varying road with little or no traffic on an autumns day when it's sunny :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online