BEST ROADS TO RIDE

R6exy
This post is 5064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When i say this i no i speek for a lot of people i know with bikes the route we take from Thorne (doncaster) to whitby is just amazing via helmsley stokesley hutton le hole and sands end!

all in all its about a 210 mile ride and we do it regular. the best part of this ride is the part all the locals call the helmsley TT and let me tell you when you ride it you'l love it. also when you get to a place called chop gate about 200meters after the sign there is a pub and just after that a real sharp left turn take that and folow the road ( tarmaced but ride slow as really thin road) for bout 2 - 3 mile and you will end up at a place called lord stones. its a cafe ( where bikers are welcome) built into the hill side, and they do well nice cream teas lol, and if you walk to the top end of the land its sat on you can look out over middlesborough and watch the people that jump off the top obviously with chutes on!!!! so wheres you fave run????? ill try and get a google maps link and get u the Helmsley TT up moz-screenshot.pngmoz-screenshot-1.png

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Favourites?

A4074 from Reading, where I live, out to Fox's Diner (now called H's Cafe, I believe). From there - Pick a road. Nice, easy twisties to run on a warm summer day. Insane at night.

Many of the 50 limits can be ridden as fast as 130 (if your bike goes that fast), but if you don't feel the need it's still a great area.

The road from Tintagel to Boscastle.

Twisty twisty and lots of blind corners, culminating in a fast downhill with a tight surprise hairpin at the bottom as you enter Boscastle. Do this on a bike with a wide turning circle and then try going back up on the inside of the hairpin - See if you can keep it within the lines!!

I live on the east coast of Scotland - every road round here is good to brilliant (away from the A90 rat run, that is). Here's a few samples, all taken within a 30 mile radius of my house:

Going up the Cairn O'Mount

100_1838Large.jpg

View from the top (see the road up?)

100_1841Large.jpg

The Slug (Crathes to Stonehaven)

100_1852Large.jpg

Coast road Stonehaven to Montrose

100_1859Large.jpg

Moulin Moor (Blairgowrie to Pitlochry)

100_1823Large.jpg

.... and my old mates from dahn sarf wonder why I choose to live in such a God-forsaken place!

That's just this coast - get over to the west and it's even better! Search Youtube for Kinlochleven Loop for a wee sample ......

Whay to many to remember, let alone detail...

The E90 from Thessalooniki to Igoumenitsa (Greece) is pretty awesome through the mountains. The villages in the valley look like dots, better than anything I've found in thr Alps or Pyrenees

Pick amlost any mountain road through the Carpathians, and you get a real buzz.

Pick any of the roads running through Potes in the Picos de Europa national Park in Northern Spain,

Any minor road in Portugal - no tarmac there......

Closer to home,

The A686 over Hartside is a good run, but avoid at weekends when the Power Rangers like to ride it, mostly like complete idiots with little or no regard for anyone else... There's no need to go to stupid speeds but some do, and the Police often have a camera up there, with remote cameras just for bikes!

A698 is a good road too,

Wrynose, Hardknott, Kirkstone (including 'The Struggle') and Honister passes are all good, and less numties too - but you need good suspension! Gatesgarth Pass is awesome, if you can get a permit and have the right bike :P

Over the border, the A712 from Newton Stewart to St Johns Town of Dalry is good, and of course the A08 up past St Mary Lock, Megget Reservoir, Talla reservoir and down the A701 to Moffat.

The A7 isn't bad,

Jeasus, I know so many great roads I just can't ever think of them!

I live in Suffolk which is not a bad thing in it`self but that means i am to close to, to many towns.

Ipswich

Bury-st-Edmunds

Stowmarket

Colchester

Felixstowe

Sudbury.

And that means WAY to many traffic cops and way to many cars :(

so i slow it down and go the senic routes, missing out major A-roads, and that means the A1120 is a nice ride if your not riding a 1000cc rocketship :)

hey

KirriePete

me and lads are thinking bout going upto sctoland upto loch ness any good routes to take that way out? cheap hostels or camp spots, or even just rait good picture esk so to speek spots to pich the tent few beers and a camp fire?

hey

KirriePete

me and lads are thinking bout going upto sctoland upto loch ness any good routes to take that way out? cheap hostels or camp spots, or even just rait good picture esk so to speek spots to pich the tent few beers and a camp fire?

Incoming PM, but to add to that - there's a whole network of Youth Hostels, cheap, clean and friendly - click me.

Or you could have a go at rough camping - Scots Law on land access is quite a bit more open than English Law - plenty info on t'interweb, like this: click me

HTH - bring a stack of memory cards for the camera, you won't stop taking photos .....

thinking bout going upto sctoland upto loch ness

Once you get clear of Glasgow, pretty much all the roads are good rides. Personally I would take the A82 from just North of Glasgow alongside Lock Lomond, through the Trossachs, Raccoch Moor, Glen Coe and up to Fort William. Then take the A87 through Glenn Shiel and stop over at Kyleakin is a great biker friendly place (they have a drying area too).

Take a day to explore the Isle of Skye,

Take a day to take the A890, A896 to Kishorn then the Pass of the Cattle (the highest road in the UK) to Applecross, around the penninsular before picking up the A896 again through Glen Torrin to Kinlochewe, Glen Docherty, A832 , A890 back to Kyleakin.

Leave Kyleakin, taking the A890. then the A832. A835 towards Inverness, the A9 (for a short while) and then the A82 down Loch Ness to Fort Augustus for the night.

One great thing about Scotland, it's nearly all great, wherever you end up.

South West Scotland has some great roads too.

All good from GULG, except ..... an R6 on the Applecross road? My old NX650 Dominator loved it, but a sportsbike ..... ?

For those that have never heard of Applecross (Monty Halls did a series on t'Beeb about the area), it's a tight, twisty, mostly single-track route that just keeps climbing - here's a piccy I shot from near the top:

PICT0167Large.jpg

Stunning views though ....

..... an R6 on the Applecross road? My old NX650 Dominator loved it, but a sportsbike ..... ?

Hee Hee....... you might just have a point there... one of the reasons I always ask people who buy these bikes 'are you sure?'

I've been up there a few times, and it's true, even the XJR, CB, Bandit, GSX type bikes get left begind by a big single..

Just a quick thaught,

Come to Ireland, pick either the top or bottom of it, take the coast roads and you will see some of the most amazing scenery, and if its twisty roads your after then i can safely say your bike will not be up straight for more than the time it takes to say this == ( There is a tight turn comming my way, get ready )

Tis much like the scotish roads.

EDIT: top of Ireland round the coast roads has the best scenery.

Just a quick thaught,

Come to Ireland, pick either the top or bottom of it, take the coast roads and you will see some of the most amazing scenery, and if its twisty roads your after then i can safely say your bike will not be up straight for more than the time it takes to say this == ( There is a tight turn comming my way, get ready )

Tis much like the scotish roads.

EDIT: top of Ireland round the coast roads has the best scenery.

i'll second that been twice now to Ni and the place is amazing