How to clean chain on XV250S

choppergirl
This post is 5064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there everyone... just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to clean the chain on a Virago 250 (only has a side stand). Don't really want to take the chain off as I'm new to biking and don't know what I'm doing yet!

Many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Get a bike lift. Decent ones can be had for as little as £140 and even the lower end ones can be as cheap as £60. Just check the load rating against your bike.

It may seem a bit expensive to start with, but for a Cruiser it's one of the most useful things ever... and you will use it a lot!!

Hi there everyone... just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to clean the chain on a Virago 250 (only has a side stand). Don't really want to take the chain off as I'm new to biking and don't know what I'm doing yet!

Many thanks

Best way really is to take it off, soak it and brush it in paraffin, then hang it up to dry. When dry, lay it out flat on cling film/plastic sheet and spray lighty with chain lube.Then refit. Refer to previous posts here regarding chain tightness/slackness etc, and read your manual. If youve a doubt about the chain condition, buy a new one, very important component, failure can be catastophic.

as to the lift yes its really handy and a recommended buy! i havent got one so i just used to stack a 2 by 4 chunk of wood on a brick next to the bike then lift the back end onto it ( a little tricky but possible best get someone to hold the front end whilst u do it ) as to cleaning a chain the best way is what is above! but i used to lift the back end up and turn up the idle so u could put it in 1st and just let it run without touching it to spin the back wheel and chain etc then get a couple of stiff scrubbing brushes soaked in oil on either side of the chain (its potentially dangerous and i strongly recommend you do it properly!)but it used to work for me and the chain used to come up nice and clean then just spray liberally with chain lube, clean all the oil splats on the bodywork and job done! :D

as to the lift yes its really handy and a recommended buy! i havent got one so i just used to stack a 2 by 4 chunk of wood on a brick next to the bike then lift the back end onto it ( a little tricky but possible best get someone to hold the front end whilst u do it ) as to cleaning a chain the best way is what is above! but i used to lift the back end up and turn up the idle so u could put it in 1st and just let it run without touching it to spin the back wheel and chain etc then get a couple of stiff scrubbing brushes soaked in oil on either side of the chain (its potentially dangerous and i strongly recommend you do it properly!)but it used to work for me and the chain used to come up nice and clean then just spray liberally with chain lube, clean all the oil splats on the bodywork and job done! :D

Wow, I'm surprised you've enough fingers left to type on a keyboard :o No offence, but perhaps not a technique for new riders

I've seen a simple device that lets you raise the rear to spin the wheel in order to lube the chain.

can't find it at the moment, but its out there somewhere.

the only other thing to use is a paddock stand

drewps

this was it methinks

http://www.motorcycleradar.com/quick_stand.htm

or try this

http://www.hardlineproducts.com/products/rollastand.html

I'm sure you could make it yourself

Wow, I'm surprised you've enough fingers left to type on a keyboard :o No offence, but perhaps not a technique for new riders

i actually did it with a rag but was very careful still have all my fingers and didnt have any accidents , and probably not the best idea for new riders but it worked for me.

Somewhere here there is the thread about the guy who did that and seriously injured himself.

I believe he also said, "Hey, it works for me".

I also believe that the politest comment he got from his fellow bikers around the world was, "F**king stupid c**t". Others were far more judgemental.

But hey - Your fingers.

I won't be paying your disability benefit.

Somewhere here there is the thread about the guy who did that and seriously injured himself.

I believe he also said, "Hey, it works for me".

I also believe that the politest comment he got from his fellow bikers around the world was, "F**king stupid c**t". Others were far more judgemental.

But hey - Your fingers.

I won't be paying your disability benefit.

Would that be this one?

Clicky link to Stumpy (well he is now!) the Gixxer owner

Don't like blood? Don't click the link.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I don't think anyone has recommended one of these yet;-

http://www.ccw-tools.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=302&P_ID=27616

They normally retail at about £80 but you will see from the link that you can get them from this place a bit cheaper. There is a two bar version that is even cheaper that is just like having a main stand but with the MPS4 the bike is completely stable. I'm assuming here that the XV250 has the same box-like frame as the XVS 250 which is what I have.

These stands are easy to assemble, robust and adjustable for height and chasis length which is also handy, and make even a 5-minute cleaning job so much easier. Yes, you do have to practice a bit with getting the lift technique - I'd recommend having a friend on hand to help steady the bike on and off the first couple of times - but once you're comfortable with it it's an absolute godsend.

Any queries get back to me.

Cheers

Interesting box-thing, there....

Looks like it's made of Meccano!

One problem I'd have with that, is that there's no specified maximum weight.

Doesn't mention anything about locking in lift/lower position either. I'm not wholly convinced yet...

Interesting box-thing, there....

Looks like it's made of Meccano!

One problem I'd have with that, is that there's no specified maximum weight.

Doesn't mention anything about locking in lift/lower position either. I'm not wholly convinced yet...

Best way really is to take it off, soak it and brush it in paraffin, then hang it up to dry. When dry, lay it out flat on cling film/plastic sheet and spray lighty with chain lube.Then refit. Refer to previous posts here regarding chain tightness/slackness etc, and read your manual. If youve a doubt about the chain condition, buy a new one, very important component, failure can be catastophic.

can you just use a close horse, I live in a flat with my mum, then grees it ?

Make one of these lifts for less than £15 http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/Motorcycle-Lifts

I made one + lifted my 1300 (weighs 300+ kgs!) - didn't use it to oil my chain (it doesn't have one) but did use it to lift the rear wheel + install my lowering kit, can't say better than that.

Alternatively you could get one of these http://www.mandp.co.uk/products/list/Workshop/Wheel-Rollers - I had the Lasertec wheel spin (for my XVS125) which is ok, but you have to manually turn the wheel which is supporting the weight of the bike so is an effort.

Personally I'd make the lift

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online