Louder Pipes on a 125

Ttaskmaster
This post is 4970 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion your original post was very demeening to other people and that is the reason I sounded off.

Well yes, it was demeaning. But that's part of the humour.

I'm a very dark kind of guy - I grew up listening to people like Bill Hicks.

But there's the undertone of care, too. If I didn't care, I wouldn't post.

It matters not one jot why they do what they do, if it makes them feel good, that's the point

But in this context, what was being asked was impossible - It was the usual newbie post from a one-post-wonder (see our various rants about those elsewhere), coming along and just posting the equivalent of this:

"Hi, I'm new here. How do I make my 50/125 sound like a 2000cc Harley?"

...and then getting upset because it's impossible.

I personally dislike it because so many people do mod their 50/125s and then come back whining that it's now not worth as much money as a factory standard one.

I think that the questions were pointed more to making their tiny machines sound bigger rather than go faster, a fault which can be laid firmly at the door to the manufacturers for building bikes which look far bigger than they are, without supplying a suitable sound track.

I'd wonder if it's actually a marketing technique to persuade people into buying bigger, more expensive bikes.

I hope not, because the only way anyone really learns is by f%*king it up then having to rebuid, isn't it? :lol::D:)

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so".

Douglas Adams.

I do acknowledge that many of my opinions are contrary to 'the norm'. Then again, just be being a biker I am going against the flow. My views are often considered incendiary and I will probably end up being a grouchy old bastard (back in MY day...). But enough people seem to agree with me that I comment with confidence. The rest is either playing Devil's Advocate and/or just heavily sarcastic joshing. :D

I do advocate driving an APC against the idiot car drivers on today's roads, though. ;)

so it is my belief that loud pipes do save lives, but only because i was limited to such a speed where the cagers and numbnuts around me had adequate time to react

Once upon a time, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you.

But in recent years, "Loud Pipes Save Lives" has become little more than a slogan.

It's no different to me than an office manager in a meeting talking about 'Overshooting the Landing Zone', 'Exit Strategy' or 'Parachuting In'.

In light of recent threads, I will admit that loud pipes MAY get you noticed... But as my fellow ranters have pointed out, due to how soundwaves work even astute bikers in a quiet car won't actually hear the loud pipes until they're right on top of you.

IMnsHO, loud pipes are like the whole bandanna, beard and leather chaps image - just for fun.

Nothing wrong with it, just don't pretend otherwise ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

"IMnsHO, loud pipes are like the whole bandanna, beard and leather chaps image - just for fun.

Nothing wrong with it, just don't pretend otherwise"

Hey, everyone knows "Beards save lives" too lol

"IMnsHO, loud pipes are like the whole bandanna, beard and leather chaps image - just for fun.

Nothing wrong with it, just don't pretend otherwise"

Hey, everyone knows "Beards save lives" too lol

:huh: How the feck does that work.

:huh: How the feck does that work.

Google up Brian Blessed. ;)

:unsure: hmm actor voice over educated in my home town.?how does that save lives.

Yes, but Brian Blessed is one thing you WILL hear coming, no matter how soundproofed your car is!! :D

I'm gonna sell my bike and start riding Brian Blessed instead.... How cool would THOSE pipes be!!!

Leatherat - THIS is the sort of silly thread that kicks off our sarcastic rants:

1 post, no intro or hello, no nothing, except a rude question.

You try that in person anywhere and you'd get far worse response than we dish out ;)

well Ttask that would make one cool horn brian blessed bellowing GORDONS ALIVE :lol:

nobody could not hear that.

Yes, but Brian Blessed is one thing you WILL hear coming, no matter how soundproofed your car is!! :D

I'm gonna sell my bike and start riding Brian Blessed instead.... How cool would THOSE pipes be!!!

Leatherat - THIS is the sort of silly thread that kicks off our sarcastic rants:

http://www.yamahaclu...884#entry130884

You try that in person anywhere and you'd get far worse response than we dish out ;)

:blush: how embarasing it is for me, to after admit ,your my favorit poster:blush: nice one mr Ttaskmaster.

I'm sorry, but I cannot for the life of me find anything rude about what this guy is asking: (quoted from the link above)

"Hi, I,m new to all this so please bare with me. I rebiulding a 1977 DT 175 but I,m having trouble geting hold of a silencer for it. There was,nt one with it when I got it. Has anybody got any idears as where I could get one? I.v been watching ebay & theres loads for 125, are they the same size or could you modify one to fix? Any help would be great.

Thanks Wullie"

Now, call me old fashioned but I think the guy was being very polite and it's certainly a reasonable request to make on an open forum dedicated to the Yamaha marque, and from a guy who has put his hand in his pocket to subcribe to the site!

To be honest, after trawling around the internet I have come to the conclusion that this, and other sites like it, tend to become populated by small minded individuals who form little cliques and get a tad too full of themselves. Sites like this have members with so much knowledge and information and could grow to become so much more, if they wern't so feicely guarded by the regular and somewhat snotty, 'Golf club' style clientele.

I know that you'll disagree, which is your right, but to be honest I'm sick of all this membership hierachy shit and won't be posting again. (which I'm sure you'll all be terribly sad about, and so you should!)

I'm sorry, but I cannot for the life of me find anything rude about what this guy is asking: (quoted from the link above)

IIRC, when we all responded yesterday, the post simply read, "Has anybody got any idears as where I could get one?".

Looks like he changed it.

I can assure you that, as the post now reads, people would never respond as they did just then.

If he has changed it, fair enough. Good for him. Good for us, too, because we now can get to know him.

The reason we all went sarcastic is explained in Gas-Up's post here:

One-Post Wonders

Sites like this have members with so much knowledge and information and could grow to become so much more, if they wern't so feicely guarded by the regular and somewhat snotty, 'Golf club' style clientele.

Sites like this are a community of members who contribute their knowledge and experience, gained at great cost of time and money. All we ask is that people join in and contribute as well.

We don't take too kindly to people who just come along, post "Bike is broken. Any ideas?" and are never heard from again. You walk into a mechanic's shop and ask that, they will mercilessly rip teh piss out of you for it... and probably overcharge you, too. Why should we be any different.

I am one of several people here well-known for posting HUGE long pages of detailed, step-by-step advice on things. Why should we do this for free if the recipients are just going to rudely demand it and then fuck off without even so much as a thank-you?

Seriously, if that's what you want, fuck off elsewhere. Mechanics get paid a good wage to do that. We here do not.

I know that you'll disagree, which is your right, but to be honest I'm sick of all this membership hierachy shit and won't be posting again. (which I'm sure you'll all be terribly sad about, and so you should!)

I'm glad to see that, in the few weeks you've been here, you know all of us well enough to pass judgement.

Now kindly fuck off and troll somewhere else... I recommend UK Bike Forum - That sounds right up your whiney little alley. Tell Fazer I said Hi.