Please Slap Me Hard.....

Pete
This post is 7206 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

.....because today I sat on the most comfortable bike I've ever tried.

The wife got on the back and she thought it was brilliant.

Even more comfortable than the Divvy 9 which had a Corbin seat. :shock:

What was this bike?.......

DL650.jpg

The DL650 V-Strom.....or the "Baby-Strom" as it's now getting called.

It really is very good indeed!

I even took a brochure home! :oops:

Who's gonna slap me first then? :roll:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

right i've had enough of you!

slap.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

write out 100 times 'there is NO excuse for suzuki ownership' :lol: 8)

bastard, just remembered i have one now :oops: :roll:

on a serious note pete i reckon they look a good bike and would suit you and the wife just fine! worth a thought atleast....

As you know...I love the XT.

But the problem I have is that 90% of the time, the wife's on the back.

Besides the seat being very hard, she suffers with a weakness in her back as a result of a whiplash injury years ago.

Generally she doesn't have a problem, but over the last 3 months it's flared up badly....particularly after going on the XT. Cos it's not really designed as a two up machine.

So I'm in a bit of a Catch 22 really.

An option would be to keep the XT and get an older road based bike for 2 up stuff.

You know Pete that there is the perfect bike for you out there!

The Africa Twin. It is "old school" Honda, strong and characterful. Big comfy seat and almost as nimble as the XT. About the same performance as the XT 660 and only a little more cumbersome off road. They were sold until 03, so there must be a few low mileage minters about.

I think I've said before that I am not big on brand loyalty - a good bike is a good bike is a good bike............... and the XRV750 is a very good bike. My friend's (one of my Scotland trip buddies) loves his and says that it is the best bike he has ever owned.

If I were you, I would seriously keep a look out for one.

Looks a bloody big bastard though Alan...but I'll definitely check them out.

Oh BTW....speaking as a master salesman, Graham is very, very poor you know.

Fails to evaluate the knowledge level of a potential customer so ends up trying to talk down to them.

I "corrected" him on about a dozen occasions...heres some pearlers...."Your XT engine design is about 10 years old" :roll: "The DL650 is a completely new engine" :roll: "Your XT is no good on or off road" :roll: "The V-Strom will outhandle the XT round tight twisties" :roll:

blah blah blah. :roll:

The rest of the guys there are good. He's a chancer wannabee with zero personality. 8)

He's a chancer wannabee with zero personality.  8)

I actually like him :roll: although I do admit that he has his off days, but then, don't we all. I never listen to salesmen anyway Pete, they usually have an axe to grind and have rarely ridden what they sell. I trust my own judgement (got it badky wrong with the CB :? ). Buying a bike is so personal that only I KNOW extactly what I want. What I look for in a dealer is a good mechanic (Mike at David Jones is superb!) and decent aftersales if things go pear shaped AND a place where I'm known, treated well and where you can have a chat. David Jones hits the spot for me. He's a bit pricey, but a couple of extra % on a deal is worth it if you have good back up.

I actually like him :roll: although I do admit that he has his off days, but then, don't we all. I never listen to salesmen anyway Pete,

It's a professional thing with me Alan....bit like if you were evaluating another musician. They might sound OK to a layman, but to a Pro they comes across as making a lot of mistakes.

It's a professional thing with me Alan....bit like if you were evaluating another musician. They might sound OK to a layman, but to a Pro they comes across as making a lot of mistakes.

Aaah an old pro... interesting..

My KLR wont last firever....

Would be nice to humm at 90mph, not scream...

So, to aleviate Guilt of Susuckyness™

Check this out:

020604top.jpg

My Kawasaki dealer is cool. Might trust buying something like that from them...

I do have a confesion, i had a 500 Titan in the 70's, custom paint job, ran without any maintenece from me that i can remember :lol:

It is exactly the same as the V Strom apart from having an adjustable screen and different cosmetics. Even the Suzuki VIN Plate is on the frame with the word Suzuki over written.

The Suzuki is a good bike, so there is no reason why this Kawasaki clone shouldn't be equally good. Unless it has the characteristic Kwappy front wheels :D:D:D

It would seem a logical thing to do Pete. Kawasaki have a very small range of bikes. Only the ZXs are on the pace, the rest are all dated and uninspired. It is only a matter of time before we have a Big 3 rather than 4. The Japanese + BMW, Ducati, Triumph, KTM, Harley and Aprilia (if they survive) are pretty much all that's left - sad.

In the car world common platforms with cosmetic differences are now the order of the day. Basically only GM, Ford, Benz/Chrysler, BMW, Renault, Peugeot, Toyota, VW and Fiat are left.

Saabs are Vectras, Jagsand Volvos are Mondeos etc etc. So Kawasaki V Stroms are straws in the wind.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online