My first big bike but a problem!! ( help )

Antz
This post is 5146 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a quick one i have just bought my first big bike yamaha xj600 bought it for a good price full service etc and owned by a lady and garaged for the last 5 years, hence why i went for this as i was used to a 125cc and thought not bad bike even tho considered an astra diesal van in the bike world!! but you gotta start some where?..the bike starts just fine but it is hunting does not have a nice balanced tick over plus lots of white smoke when you rev it up and it smells of fuel i.e smoke smells of fuel a bit, there is no creamyness in the oil and no leaks etc around the bike, there is a slight tapping as well, should i be very worried and would it be worth getting the carbs ballenced etc?..all help welcome!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

your on the right track Antz, I'd get carbs cleaned and balanced and a new air filter too, wont do any harm either :)

your on the right track Antz, I'd get carbs cleaned and balanced and a new air filter too, wont do any harm either :)

Cheers jock i plan to service with the carbs being balanced...not sure how much it will cost tho as i did all the work on my own 125cc before as it was so simple but this new bike a little out of my league at the moment!!! haynes book of bullsh*t coming up ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-XJ600-600-Diversion-Seca-92-03-K-N-Air-Filter_W0QQitemZ180489292609QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2a06000b41

localy its £20-£30 to have the carbs balanced, ask around someone near you will probably have the 'manometers' and will help you out ?

I wouldn't worry about the smoke, not after its sat idle for 5 years, it'll clear in time.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-XJ600-600-Diversion-Seca-92-03-K-N-Air-Filter_W0QQitemZ180489292609QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2a06000b41

localy its £20-£30 to have the carbs balanced, ask around someone near you will probably have the 'manometers' and will help you out ?

I wouldn't worry about the smoke, not after its sat idle for 5 years, it'll clear in time.

Many thanks mate i was not to sure if any one would help out as my bike is not exatly a hot rod!!! :D

Failte: Antz To the YOC. cool.gif

Has the bike not been used for 5 years.

Where do you think the "slight tapping noise" is comming from ?

Failte: Antz To the YOC. cool.gif

Has the bike not been used for 5 years.

Where do you think the "slight tapping noise" is comming from ?

The bike has been used on and of by the ex rider in those 5 years, she stated she had only done 150 miles in the last year alone, the tapping noise is very slight and appears to be from the front of the engine, the reason i bought this bike from what i read it would last..but seems i may have just made a fatal mistake....i hope not!

Maybe its not firing on all four!, is it rough and lumpy...cautiously feel the exhaust pipes to see if they all warm up, and of course if they dont then theres your trouble. ;)

the bike did have 2 exhausts in the first place but was replaced by a single can NEXXUS exhaust so i was hoping the carbs had not been set up propley for the single can, but the tapping does worry me but it rides just fine just does not tick over with harmony! :huh:

the bike did have 2 exhausts in the first place but was replaced by a single can NEXXUS exhaust so i was hoping the carbs had not been set up propley for the single can, but the tapping does worry me but it rides just fine just does not tick over with harmony! :huh:

Isnt it a four cylinder bike? I'm talking about feeling the heat in the exhaust header pipes, nothing to do with cans. if a cylinder is not firing, the header for that cylinder will be cold and you should not continue to run the bike until this is investigated and fixed.

DOHH

Isnt it a four cylinder bike? I'm talking about feeling the heat in the exhaust header pipes, nothing to do with cans. if a cylinder is not firing, the header for that cylinder will be cold and you should not continue to run the bike until this is investigated and fixed.

DOHH

Ok ok!!!!...very sorry as stated im new to all this i will go check!!!...<<feels like im in 1st grade ;)

First, dont panic.

Give her a good old service and get the carbs cleaned and ballanced.

Like OGit is saying check to see if all cylinders are firing.

Dont worry 2 much about the tapping just yet till you get it all serviced up and running good, then well see if the tapping is still there.

Its hard to say what the tapping is when we cant here it.

1st grade......biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Dont burn your hands.........laugh.giflaugh.gif

can you get a video of it running with the ticking noise ,if its been stood a while the white smoke could be condensation,and the petrolly smell will be the carbs which will need balancing, I would also drop the oil if its been run or serviced for a while.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Welcome to the forum Antz.

Yeah don't burn your hands :unsure: or melt your gloves if you happen to be wearing them at the time :eusa_whistle:

Vez.

can you get a video of it running with the ticking noise ,if its been stood a while the white smoke could be condensation,and the petrolly smell will be the carbs which will need balancing, I would also drop the oil if its been run or serviced for a while.

Ok doki i shall do this as soon as i finish work!!!

Welcome to the forum Antz.

Yeah don't burn your hands  :unsure:  or melt your gloves if you happen to be wearing them at the time :eusa_whistle:

Vez.

Cheers vez i will get the missus to touch them.lol..nooo don't worry i will be carefull!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online