LED blinkers staying solid

hebrew hammer
This post is 5163 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

so I have this after market relay flasher http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-pin-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Blinker-Light-84_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5884eab937QQitemZ380187097399QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and it does not work for my xs. What should I do? The old turn signal relay is a lot brighter than the new one, also one turn signal turns on and stays solid which I think means it does not recognize that there is a turn signal there.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so I have this after market relay flasher http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-pin-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Blinker-Light-84_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5884eab937QQitemZ380187097399QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and it does not work for my xs. What should I do? The old turn signal relay is a lot brighter than the new one, also one turn signal turns on and stays solid which I think means it does not recognize that there is a turn signal there.

If you pull the idiot light (turning signal) on the instrument panel , do the indicators flash, if they do You could rewire the idiot light circuit adding a ground wire and a couple of diodes, im no sparky but I remember this from another forum where a guy had the simular problems I just checked the other forum and they used 2 -1N1004 diodes

cheers

Al

the link is for a 3 prong led flasher! are you running LED's?

if you have standard bulbs you only need a 2 prong flasher but will lose the auto switch off function. If you wanted that function then dig deep and buy the yam part or find 2nd hand

if the old relay still work's use that and a 10ohm/10watt resister for each blinker. that's what i did and it work's gr8

ok I am looking at the wattage of the old one (27w) vs the new led (30w) wouldn't the resistor change it down to 20? The new after maket flasher is a 12v that goes form .02A - 20A.

the old style relay works on the current draw. LEDs use only a tiny current so there is not enough current flowing to work the relay. Adding a resistor is just a controlled short to earth which increases the current flowing in the circuit. (And if you thought about it you only need one resistor in the circuit - between the feed from the relay to the indicator switch and earth, rather then one on each lamp).

Have you removed the idiot light to see if the fault goes? Do this next if not.

I suspect you'll need a diode network on the idiot lamp to stop the problem altogether (as mentioned).

Once you have the idiot lamp sorted you need to concentrate on the relay.

Two ways to go here; the old style relay and a resitor or: a modern electronic type that does not use current flow to control the flash rate (although you may lose the self cancelling function).

QED

Have you removed the idiot light to see if the fault goes? Do this next if not.

QED

This might sound stupid, but how do I do that? Also do you have a ebay shop? There is a guy that has a similar name as you that I ordered from before.

This might sound stupid, but how do I do that? Also do you have a ebay shop? There is a guy that has a similar name as you that I ordered from before.

thats might be http://myworld.ebay.com/speedmotoco. I ordered alot of cafe parts from that ebay shop.

P.S. I got new turn signals installed on my XS400, and now the signals dont blink at all anymore, so I'll be referring to this thread to try some things.

The self-cancelling turn signals feature never worked on my bike so once i get them to blink again, maybe I'll just buy a new self-cancelling unit that handles this.

thats might be http://myworld.ebay.com/speedmotoco. I ordered alot of cafe parts from that ebay shop.

maybe I'll just buy a new self-cancelling unit that handles this.

they are £45 last time i looked :o

They are refering to the light in the instruments that lets you see the indicators are on. Some bikes have 2 some 1. If there is only 1 then the light uses the side that is not required to earth the instrument light through. With led's needing very little current there is enough energy to light the all led's passing through the bulb.

This would be fixed by fitting resistors at the indicators directly as there would not be enough current through the bulb to trigger the led's, or use diode's as already stated. Personally i'd use something like the rectifiers from a dt 50 or similar as they are well up to the job and are designed to be mounted on a bike and robust enough to handle the punishment.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online