Why do people buy new 125's

Cynic
This post is 4883 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Everyone needs to start somewhere and for kids starting out it's all about image. Unfortunately not all of them appreciate older bikes and can be devoid of all logic.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add my 2p's.

When I turned 17 I bought a cheapo chinese CBR 125 replica for about £800 (lots of bartering involved!), looked alright, CG engine in it which was as slow as they come and eventually the panels started falling off as the vibrations shook it apart. Then a van pulled out on me and it looked a little worse from then on.

On Friday I decided I was going to get back into riding again so booked my CBT for Sunday (£90), bought an Yamma SR 125 yesterday (£450) and Insured it (£250) and I'm on the road, for a little more than I paid for just the bike last time. I'm sad to say that the SR feels so much quicker (shocking!), safer and better put together.

I honestly think for a little run around that I could scrape on a wall and not worry about they are perfect and pretty classic looking (my opinion). I did my CBT on a new YBR which didnt feel as quick and was very vibey! My personal opinion is that new geared 125's post 2003 are starting to imitate the bigger bikes with no substance to back it up and the essence of riding a little runaround is lost.

Pie

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update on the YBR !

After a very careful running in period, the engine finally showed definite signs of loosening up at around 3,800 miles. MPG has also improved as a result. I have one 400mile round trip under my belt, probably would have been gone a bit further but I had to turn back once I reached the sea ;) along with several 300mile jaunts.

Whenever possible I'm now keeping the bike at an indicated 45mph which for me, is a very relaxing pace. It's a speed which also avoids incurring intrusive vibration, but occasionally I now throw in the odd 55mph on any really long downhill stretches. Riding at these speeds has resulted in the last tankful breaking the 400 mile barrier and returning an extremely impressive 148 imperial miles per gallon. The chain has only required adjusting once so far (its always kept moist with ATF oil) and as far as I can tell I seem to be wasting more 10w-40 through cleaning and checking the dipstick each week than the engine is actually using. My only upset is finding the rear OEM Cheng-Shin tyre worn down to the legal limit in under 3,000 miles. The replacement Michelin however is definitely wearing at a much slower pace.

I'm still very impressed with this little bike, it does take a bit of mental adjustment to ride within its mechanical limits, but I've still not been tempted in ascertaining its top speed.

The only downside of ownership, and I imagine this applies similarly to all lightweight bikes is the detrimental effect a heavy cross wind can have on its stability and direction when riding on exposed roads.

yeah its always fun riding with you knee down on a straight :D lol

• 3 months later...

look at Foamy and hope there are more like him.

hey, for all i know there could be a whole squadron of mini foamys running around, my car was dubbed the passion wagon for a reason ;)

(i know this is an old thread, but i missed that post lol)

• 1 month later...

I bought the eldest of my 2 kids a new Hongdu GY 125 for his 15th birthday (5yrs ago)- a chinese copy of a Honda XLR 125 - the idea being that he'd use it off-road until he was 17, then he could use it on the road. The reason I bought it was that a 7 year old Honda XLR 125 was £1650 (unknown life history) and this one was £799, brand new.

Thought it better to risk half the money on the new machine.

Also - I recently tried to convince my 16yr old that either a restored FS1E, or AP 50, or even a Fantic Caballero were the "moped" he should get for his 16th birthday. Showing him some pictures of them, he just laughed and said after being on the back of his mums Fazer 1000, my FJ 12 and my Aprilia RSV for as long as he could remember - the "Style" of these old bikes didn't suit him.

I was pleased he took the time to look - but at the end of the day, we wanted a safe, reliable machine for him (I for one remember the problems I had with my own moped way back when) and he thought his Arlen Ness leathers would look out of place on a FS1E or a trail bike. We caved in and got him this - and I don't care what anyone else thinks, its bloody brilliant and well worth every penny. I did try to buy a nearly new s/h one, but every one I chased had been sold on the first day of the advert being put up.

35d6olv.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online