Number plate angle

Guest MaD.VeZ
This post is 5190 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Hi, I would like some advice with a custom tail tidy that i'm making for my Dt125re.

The question is what angle can a number plate be mounted at and still be legal?

I have seen some high angles on the internet e.g

angled.jpg

Is this legal?

Compared to the original

DT125RE.jpg

I have googled with no joy and also emailed the DVLA and the reply i got was a pdf going on about the number plate size and number spacing etc. no use at all really.

Has anybody had any experience with a bike with a number plate angle like the top image i.e mot/police/insurance difficulties.?

Any help or thoughts are welcomed.

Vez.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

interesting one as my flat tracker is angled like the first one and I have seen bikes on the road like that!

Hi, I would like some advice with a custom tail tidy that i'm making for my Dt125re.

The question is what angle can a number plate be mounted at and still be legal?

I have seen some high angles on the internet e.g

angled.jpg

Is this legal?

Compared to the original

DT125RE.jpg

I have googled with no joy and also emailed the DVLA and the reply i got was a pdf going on about the number plate size and number spacing etc. no use at all really.

Has anybody had any experience with a bike with a number plate angle like the top image i.e mot/police/insurance difficulties.?

Any help or thoughts are welcomed.

Vez.

A muse for you to think on.......

It should be at the angle the OEM mount puts it at. Any variations on that are at your own risk. The first image you have posted is illegal anyway as there is no numberplate illumination.

Personally the plate on my DT is mounted on the rear muddy and is at an 'interesting' angle. Its also a metal plate with stick on numbers, far easier to bend it straight on the trail than have to buy a new plastic one. Although it is strictly speaking not the approved format.

It comes down to how far you want to bend the rules. I used to run a 600 with a race pipe and full tune. That again, i was playing the numbers banking on the main part of the plods being too nieve to twig the legality of the bike. The bike also looked stock pretty much and i sneaked past a couple of stop checks after the IOM on that alone.

The majority of plods used to think the 6x4 plate was a standard M/C size, that unfortunately is not the case any more. The fact that they are getting sharper is the reason i flogged the 600 and bought one of the most antisocial, unenviromental and barely legal (in standard form) motorcycles made, a quote from Performance Bikes "Sir Cliff Richard could get points on one of these", is very accurate.

I have left it pretty much stock, it is a very good feeling to ride past a plod knowing you are 100% the right side of the law. The (slightly) older DT is very different, but still largely legal because the C+U regs(MOT) are wide open before March 1981.

Personally i dont go much for cosmetic crap, and F'ing with the numberplate these days is asking for a pull, i look more to discrete, subtle changes that make a real improvement to the riding of the bike.

If you want it at an angle you are happier with then do it. But, the fact that somebody else has a worse example wont save you from a ticket if the plod feels you are taking the P or trying to dodge the NPR equipment or speed camera's. I doubt your alone in disliking the huge slab of plastic we are lumberd with and wanting to reduce the negative effect it has on the look of the bike.

Guest MaD.VeZ

A muse for you to think on.......

It should be at the angle the OEM mount puts it at. Any variations on that are at your own risk. The first image you have posted is illegal anyway as there is no numberplate illumination.

Personally the plate on my DT is mounted on the rear muddy and is at an 'interesting' angle. Its also a metal plate with stick on numbers, far easier to bend it straight on the trail than have to buy a new plastic one. Although it is strictly speaking not the approved format.

It comes down to how far you want to bend the rules. I used to run a 600 with a race pipe and full tune. That again, i was playing the numbers banking on the main part of the plods being too nieve to twig the legality of the bike. The bike also looked stock pretty much and i sneaked past a couple of stop checks after the IOM on that alone.

The majority of plods used to think the 6x4 plate was a standard M/C size, that unfortunately is not the case any more. The fact that they are getting sharper is the reason i flogged the 600 and bought one of the most antisocial, unenviromental and barely legal (in standard form) motorcycles made, a quote from Performance Bikes "Sir Cliff Richard could get points on one of these", is very accurate.

I have left it pretty much stock, it is a very good feeling to ride past a plod knowing you are 100% the right side of the law. The (slightly) older DT is very different, but still largely legal because the C+U regs(MOT) are wide open before March 1981.

Personally i dont go much for cosmetic crap, and F'ing with the numberplate these days is asking for a pull, i look more to discrete, subtle changes that make a real improvement to the riding of the bike.

If you want it at an angle you are happier with then do it. But, the fact that somebody else has a worse example wont save you from a ticket if the plod feels you are taking the P or trying to dodge the NPR equipment or speed camera's. I doubt your alone in disliking the huge slab of plastic we are lumberd with and wanting to reduce the negative effect it has on the look of the bike.

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Having given what you have said a bit of thought Cynic, I guess i will have to take a risk.

My intentions are not of evading speed cameras/NPR etc, for 1 the bike barley touches 55mph downhill with the wind behind me, and 2 with being on a cbt its way to easy to get a ban and it would leave me with the public transport option which i'm not a fan of.

It is a college design project and im already committed now, otherwise i wouldn't of bothered tbh, and its a bit of a waste of time making the new 1 the same as the original. I will probably just up the angle a little and see how it goes, maybe even make it adjustable. Kind of hope being on L-plates i have a little le-way and can plead ignorance but my age probably goes against that.

I agree riding past the old bill knowing i'm legit is a nice feeling. When i first got on the road kinda hoped i would get a pull just to show off my license etc. its not happened yet though B).

Thanks for the advice Cynic. :)

Just out of interest what is this unenviromental, barely legal beast you speak of ?

It would still be nice to hear if anyone has experienced a run in with the law with a plate with an "interesting" angle :P and what the consequences would be, points/fine etc?

Just out of interest what is this unenviromental, barely legal beast you speak of ?

A TDR 250,

Imagine a DT125 with 50+BHP all of which comes between 6 and 10 thou, 100ish flat out, 30-35mpg not including 2 stroke and a riding position and quality suspention and handling balance that has the red mist decending before you have started the engine.

Traffic beware.

Downsides. It begs you to ride like a twat, its made from tinfoil and margerine tubs the exhausts cook your bollocks (they run under the seat) while the seat cuts you in half and the tank only holds 2 gallons. I average about 70miles to a tank, get more than 90, sell it.

I absoloutly love it

Guest MaD.VeZ

A TDR 250,

Imagine a DT125 with 50+BHP all of which comes between 6 and 10 thou, 100ish flat out, 30-35mpg not including 2 stroke and a riding position and quality suspention and handling balance that has the red mist decending before you have started the engine.

Traffic beware.

Downsides. It begs you to ride like a twat, its made from tinfoil and margerine tubs the exhausts cook your bollocks (they run under the seat) while the seat cuts you in half and the tank only holds 2 gallons. I average about 70miles to a tank, get more than 90, sell it.

I absoloutly love it

lol good description

Nice bikes :eusa_drool: i had the pleasure of a about a mile on the back of 1 when i was younger, my m8 ran out of juice before he found 4th gear, still scared the cr@p out of me though :icon_eek: . just the kind of bike i would like to upgrade to if i can find anyone silly enough to sell me 1 when i pass my test.

My DT used to have a tail tidy on, was more horizontal than that 1st image and i rode it for over 2 years with no problems at all... didnt iilluminate the no. plate either, would recomend the drc edge 2, perfect aftermarket light ;)

My DT used to have a tail tidy on, was more horizontal than that 1st image and i rode it for over 2 years with no problems at all... didnt iilluminate the no. plate either, would recomend the drc edge 2, perfect aftermarket light ;)

That wouldn't get an MOT with the testers near me, the last generous tester was nobled by the new computer system. Old boy into brit stuff. If you could yap for a bit about Enfield's you could have wheels missing and it would have passed.

I know it wouldnt of got an mot because the plate was too small aswell but it was too new to worry, thats for the new owner to think of now.

(was an Acerbis enduro type light)

But on my CCM the DRC Edge 2 looks like a stock item but really tidy and has a number plate light so would 100% pass an mot.

Also its not new for people to change their bikes a little for the mot.... ;)

I know it wouldnt of got an mot because the plate was too small aswell but it was too new to worry, thats for the new owner to think of now.

(was an Acerbis enduro type light)

But on my CCM the DRC Edge 2 looks like a stock item but really tidy and has a number plate light so would 100% pass an mot.

Also its not new for people to change their bikes a little for the mot.... ;)

Oh thats naughty, how could anybody consider it......... ;)

• 1 month later...

thought i`d reply, i got pulled on boxing day, was riding though deserted streets, in my town, on the way to my dads. I get pulled by the plod. The plod sad my plate is too small. i said it was MOT`ed like that and on the bike when i bought it. he just said get it changed, I havent yet, plus i have passed loads of traffic plods also since. But any way, iam just about to get a legal sail(plate) to just please mr plod..

PS.. ive done 4K miles on this plate. 12 months..with out gettin pulled..

IMGP3068.jpg

bike1.jpg

no info about having to have a number plate light on hear ... Link also heard this from a copple of people from the sv650.org forum same hear Link

so i would say it does not need a rear numberplate light but i may be wrong

so i would say it does not need a rear numberplate light but i may be wrong

Not if you were only needeing a Daylight Running MOT, if you want to ride in the dark or at times of reduced visability then you must have your number plate illuminated.

It's not a problem at all, even with a small tail tidy, as you can get bolts that have LED's in them to illuminate your plate. The only issue you might find is if yout plate angle is so shallow that the lights shine into the vehicle behind. Then I supposed you could end up with some forms from Mr Officer....

LED Number Plate Bolts

Guest MaD.VeZ

Not if you were only needeing a Daylight Running MOT, if you want to ride in the dark or at times of reduced visability then you must have your number plate illuminated.

It's not a problem at all, even with a small tail tidy, as you can get bolts that have LED's in them to illuminate your plate. The only issue you might find is if yout plate angle is so shallow that the lights shine into the vehicle behind. Then I supposed you could end up with some forms from Mr Officer....

LED Number Plate Bolts

The led number plate bolts are a top idea, going to buy some to add to my design. Thanks for the link :D

Edit: save £1.94 as i found them cheaper LED npb

The led number plate bolts are a top idea, going to buy some to add to my design. Thanks for the link  :D

Indeed!.....those are thee ticket for my homemade Tail Tidy ;) ....

PAL023.jpg

The drc edge 2 i recommended had a built in number plate light as well ;)

I done just over 14000miles with a plate 7x5 on my DT and have one the same size on the CCM, id just recommend not having a fancy font or border. :)

The drc edge 2 i recommended had a built in number plate light as well ;)

I done just over 14000miles with a plate 7x5 on my DT and have one the same size on the CCM, id just recommend not having a fancy font or border. :)

I did getting on for thirty thousand miles with the 7x5 on the suzuki but in the last 12 months the plods have been getting sharper round near me and for some unexplained reason it just wasn't comfortable any more. Superstition, instinct i dunno.

OT: I tend to worry about the loudness before a number plate (straight through remus race can). Sounds really nice B)

OT: I tend to worry about the loudness before a number plate (straight through remus race can). Sounds really nice B)

There was one of those on the suzuki too, connected to a set of tuned race pipes. ;)

Sounds sweet, im a bit of a single cylinder fan to be honest just love the thud they give out. Would die for a supermono 700 (rotax engine) sooo nice! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online