Cleaning the chain.

Connor James
This post is 5376 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What's the best thing to clean the chain on my bike. What's the best way to clean my chain.

Regards

Derek.

good old parrafin from your local hard-ware shop or garden centre to clean, and elbow grease-make it a 'labour of love', a chain snapping is probably the most damaging thing that can happen to a bike-can cause a heck of a lot of damage to you also, put a couple of layers of cardboard under the area to save the patio etc, get a wee paint-brush and a sponge and a couple of old towels, most important-rubber gloves, never clean or lube the 'red-neck' way-with the engine and chain running :mellow:

I heard that mink oil is the best, but that they are kind of hard to find, run over, and get snagged in your chain.

you can get that from your local equestrian supplier, its used to soften saddles, try 'Lexor' products-top stuff!

dunno if it would be good on chains-must try that some time on one of me m8's bikes :mellow:

:blush::lipseal:

Honesty!, thats a very good quality Pinkie ;)

We've all done it 4 sure :mellow:

good old parrafin from your local hard-ware shop or garden centre to clean, and elbow grease-make it a 'labour of love', a chain snapping is probably the most damaging thing that can happen to a bike-can cause a heck of a lot of damage to you also, put a couple of layers of cardboard under the area to save the patio etc, get a wee paint-brush and a sponge and a couple of old towels, most important-rubber gloves, never clean or lube the 'red-neck' way-with the engine and chain running :mellow:

I agree with the parrafin/kerosene for cleaning, although wd40 actually does a good job as well, and 100% agree with not cleaning with the engine and chain running, but when lubing the chain it needs to be warm to get proper lubrication and needs to be moving as you apply the lube so that it works into the chain, yes you CAN spin the tire by hand, but your going to be doing a lot of unecessary work spinning the tire when you have an apparatis designed to spin it for you that works just fine.

(proud to be an american redneck).

I agree with the parrafin/kerosene for cleaning, although wd40 actually does a good job as well, and 100% agree with not cleaning with the engine and chain running, but when lubing the chain it needs to be warm to get proper lubrication and needs to be moving as you apply the lube so that it works into the chain, yes you CAN spin the tire by hand, but your going to be doing a lot of unecessary work spinning the tire when you have an apparatis designed to spin it for you that works just fine.

(proud to be an american redneck).

Well looky here ! I think we got ourselves a 'honest soul', like I said we/we've all done it, do'n make it right !

one day that 'some bitch might jus bite ya'-'cleeen off', I've seen it ! :mellow:

respect upheld! ;)

once clean ,grease it with T2 chain spray,its bluddy gud and dont fling off, :rolleyes: so their nuff said by by.

you can get that from your local equestrian supplier, its used to soften saddles, try 'Lexor' products-top stuff!

dunno if it would be good on chains-must try that some time on one of me m8's bikes :mellow:

i like the idea of potentially wrecking their bike first ;) nah i'm sure it'd be good stuff anyway.

i've been using WD40 and some chain lube the guy across the street gave me, got loads when he bought his CBR600

My Method:-

1. Get yourself some good paddock stands,

2. Deploy boyfriend with an OCD for cleaning bikes armed with Yoshimoto De-Gunger brush and rags,

3. Add Yoshimoto gold chain lube,

4. Bobs your uncle :D

I am a lucky spud...in fact...my spud has never been so lucky... :crylaugh:

i'm the same when i wash the wife's car, her precious beetle :rolleyes:

OOhh a proper beetle or one of these new fangled watercooled wanna be thing-a-me bobs?

its the new beetle model, but not all watercooled n such. she's put herbie vinyls on it though xD

[reminiscing music]

I used to have a Beetle. Gorgeous she was, called her Bluebelle. A 1972 1300cc, so low she used to ground out over speed humps. We went to Tatton park vw show once and got stuck on a hump in the field LOL.

[/reminiscing music]

We've got a VW camper now, same year but him indoors has stuffed a 2.2 subaru engine up it's back end and made it stupidly fast....... Oh sorry, off topic. I'll be quiet now :angel3:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online