Are they taking the mick?

Rayne
This post is 5387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all. I am looking for some advice from you please.

I have a YZF R125, under 2000 miles so i took it to my nearest Yamaha dealer and they said they would inspect it.

I took it back and waited for over two hours. they agreed that the bike wasnt right and it was a warranty claim. It has an engine knock.

I was told to take it in, they would inspect, order the parts and fix it. All well and good you may think.

But, that was over two and a half weeks ago. Still no signs of the bike. The last communication I had they said they were still waiting for one more part and would let me know when the bike was to their satisfaction.

Still no bike and they are ignoring my emails (cant phone due to work).

Should I contact Yamaha direct, trading standards as i need the bike for work and no offer of a courtesy bike or am i being unreasonable.

Surely, two and a half weeks and counting is a bit long isnt it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all. I am looking for some advice from you please.

I have a YZF R125, under 2000 miles so i took it to my nearest Yamaha dealer and they said they would inspect it.

I took it back and waited for over two hours. they agreed that the bike wasnt right and it was a warranty claim. It has an engine knock.

I was told to take it in, they would inspect, order the parts and fix it. All well and good you may think.

But, that was over two and a half weeks ago. Still no signs of the bike. The last communication I had they said they were still waiting for one more part and would let me know when the bike was to their satisfaction.

Still no bike and they are ignoring my emails (cant phone due to work).

Should I contact Yamaha direct, trading standards as i need the bike for work and no offer of a courtesy bike or am i being unreasonable.

Surely, two and a half weeks and counting is a bit long isnt it?

Hi,

I would guess this is a short time so far as the part may be coming from another part of the world .. years ago Yamaha could not supply a part for about 2 months (it had to be made, the factory was out of stock) and Yamaha did pay some compo to the bike owner and some to me for having the bike in my workshop for that long ! So first off I would talk to Yamaha UK to try to work out where the part you require is and they should be able to give you an eta for it, Then if you feel the eta is too long perhaps you could mention that you are incurring costs through not having a bike etc etc. The dealer I guess has said 'dont call us we'll call you ? and I guess they are upset that your bike is in their store and should get in touch when the part is in stock but they should perhaps chasing Yamaha on your behalf and keeping you updated if not I would guess a visit to them also would not go a miss ... let us know what goes on

Regards Jim

Hi,

I would guess this is a short time so far as the part may be coming from another part of the world .. years ago Yamaha could not supply a part for about 2 months (it had to be made, the factory was out of stock) and Yamaha did pay some compo to the bike owner and some to me for having the bike in my workshop for that long ! So first off I would talk to Yamaha UK to try to work out where the part you require is and they should be able to give you an eta for it, Then if you feel the eta is too long perhaps you could mention that you are incurring costs through not having a bike etc etc. The dealer I guess has said 'dont call us we'll call you ? and I guess they are upset that your bike is in their store and should get in touch when the part is in stock but they should perhaps chasing Yamaha on your behalf and keeping you updated if not I would guess a visit to them also would not go a miss ... let us know what goes on

Regards Jim

Well, Yamaha UK have confirmed that the parts are at the shop. I had an email from the shop last week saying that the bike would be ready by last Friday. I got a call from the shop yesterday saying that it will be on the bench today.

I will wait and reserve judgement on when i will see my bike back. Not very good customer services by the bike shop and I dont appreaciate people telling me it will be ready when they havent even touched it. If they had communicated better or offered a spare bike then I wouldnt have minded.

Poor service....and your right. It's costing me a fortune to get to work and back.

yup took bike for a service that cost £180 and they dident even check the air filter luckly i did and it was full of crap and had a dead bee in it i was anoyed to and also they expected me to order the cush drive ruber for my sprocket when i havent got the first clue what it is so bikes going back in but geting free fitment lets just hope they do a good job.....

you think thats bad! i took my bike inn , waited 4 weeks for them to do 4 hours work and put 8 new parts on then rob me of 600 quid......then 6 days l8r the engine blew! how bad is that!

its gonna cost 400 quid to get the part fixed or 600 quid to replace it and thats not including the extras!!!

so my advice unless its under warrenty KEEP AWAY from ANY YAMMAHA DEALER !!

you think thats bad! i took my bike inn , waited 4 weeks for them to do 4 hours work and put 8 new parts on then rob me of 600 quid......then 6 days l8r the engine blew! how bad is that!

its gonna cost 400 quid to get the part fixed or 600 quid to replace it and thats not including the extras!!!

so my advice unless its under warrenty KEEP AWAY from ANY YAMMAHA DEALER !!

do you think any one from yamaha reads this :P would be funny if the ceo did think he would have a fit haha

sorry to hear that m8 they need shooting

I've said it before and i'll say it again, one bad dealer pi55es in the pot for all of em but the only person that works onmy bike is me.

When i was crossing the mountain at the IOM i knew my bike was as good as i could get it and was happy to screw the 150 odd mph out of her.

Can you say the same barwell?

I know some people have limited skills where spanners are concerned but i don't feel that is an excuse i've got the bloke next door to me competant to do his own servicing and any big stuff he gives me a shout. If you can read a manual you can do it yourself.

nope i carnt as i have seen what a bad job they did like not replacing a awfuly dirty air filter that they sead they had checked :|

i would love to do it my self and know i can but mum and dad wont let me as my mum also uses my bike but will when i get a bike that i dont have to share

Well, Yamaha UK have confirmed that the parts are at the shop. I had an email from the shop last week saying that the bike would be ready by last Friday. I got a call from the shop yesterday saying that it will be on the bench today.

I will wait and reserve judgement on when i will see my bike back. Not very good customer services by the bike shop and I dont appreaciate people telling me it will be ready when they havent even touched it. If they had communicated better or offered a spare bike then I wouldnt have minded.

Poor service....and your right. It's costing me a fortune to get to work and back.

Hi,

I guess the shop is at fault if Ymuk has supplied the parts the dealer should have a go at putting your bike back on the road but take into account workshop loading and perhaps the shop should have said 'yeh the bits are here but its going to take a few days to fit it in' .... my shop back in the 80's lacked parts from Mitsui/Yamaha but when they did appear the bike was put to the fore front and a few services were delayed in order to do the job.... I guess your local boys are just trying to keep today's cash coming in rather than the stuff that may appear a bit later ... Sorry to sound odd but each failure is a bit different !

Regards Jim

Hi,

I guess the shop is at fault if Ymuk has supplied the parts the dealer should have a go at putting your bike back on the road but take into account workshop loading and perhaps the shop should have said 'yeh the bits are here but its going to take a few days to fit it in' .... my shop back in the 80's lacked parts from Mitsui/Yamaha but when they did appear the bike was put to the fore front and a few services were delayed in order to do the job.... I guess your local boys are just trying to keep today's cash coming in rather than the stuff that may appear a bit later ... Sorry to sound odd but each failure is a bit different !

Regards Jim

Thanks for all your comments, I appreciate them.

I was told by the dealer that the bike would be "on the bench" on Tuesday. Still no call from them to say the what is happening. Will call them this morning and if no joy will call Yamaha UK again. The next step in the chain is trading standards and small claims court. The bike isnt even a year old, less than 2000 miles and it has problems?

Not fit for purpose and not of merchantable quality spring to mind. I bought Yamaha as it had a good reputation. The after sales is rubbish and when I (and my two cousins) upgrade it will NOT be yamaha i'm afraid. They have just passed and were looking to buy the 2009 V Max each as money is no object to them but I think we will all be looking elsewhere.

What a silly way to treat customers and lose money, especially in todays economic downturn!

Thanks for all your comments, I appreciate them.

I was told by the dealer that the bike would be "on the bench" on Tuesday. Still no call from them to say the what is happening. Will call them this morning and if no joy will call Yamaha UK again. The next step in the chain is trading standards and small claims court. The bike isnt even a year old, less than 2000 miles and it has problems?

Not fit for purpose and not of merchantable quality spring to mind. I bought Yamaha as it had a good reputation. The after sales is rubbish and when I (and my two cousins) upgrade it will NOT be yamaha i'm afraid. They have just passed and were looking to buy the 2009 V Max each as money is no object to them but I think we will all be looking elsewhere.

What a silly way to treat customers and lose money, especially in todays economic downturn!

Woah hang on, surely blaming the bikes or even Yamaha themselves is a bit much when its a shitty dealer at fault. Just look up a dealer thats reccomended by others on somewhere like this site and give them a try.

I purchased a Yamaha cash on the understanding that it had a warranty. The dealer is the representative of Yamaha.

If you have a warranty claim you can not deal directly with Yamaha but have to deal with the agent/dealer who said time and time again the bike would be fixed.

As previously said, the bike has done less than 2000 miles. I have followed the warranty procedure and given Yamaha and the dealership ample time to fix the problem. In fact the dealer has sent me emails stating that the bike would be on the road by the end of that week. When Yamaha contacted them in relation to this they then said the bike would be looked at the following week...... so it had not even been started even though Yamaha had stated that all the parts were there. Another lie.

So, I have been left out of pocket with transport costs, the dealers have lied and fobbed me off and, as the bike has only doen less than a few thousand miles, I do not see why I, as a customer, should not blame both of them.

If they had have offered me a courtesy bike then I would not have minded but I will not be fobbed off or lied to.

Adding this as it may help others in the future. This is from the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1992.

The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 requires a supplier of a service acting in the course of business in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to carry out that service with reasonable care and skill and, unless agreed to the contrary, within a reasonable time and make no more than a reasonable charge.

• These terms apply unless they have been excluded and there are strict limits on the circumstances in which an exclusion or variation will be effective.

• Common law in Scotland has similar effect to the 1982 Act. Suppliers of services or their customers should obtain legal advice about the common law in Scotland if necessary.

• If a supplier of a service breaches the conditions of a contract (for example by failing to carry out the work ordered) the consumer has a choice either to affirm the contract (treat it as still in existence) and claim compensation from the trader for his failure to carry out what was agreed or rescind (cancel) the contract.

• If the supplier does not carry out the work with reasonable care and skill the law treats the matter as a breach of contract and the consumer can seek redress. Often reasonable compensation in these circumstances will be repair or replacement.

• If no agreement has been made with the supplier about completion of the work, or about the charge to be made, then if it is not completed within a reasonable time or the price is unreasonable, this is also treated as breach of contract and the consumer may be entitled to compensation.

• Any goods supplied in the course of the service must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose. If they are not the consumer is entitled to a repair, replacement or compensation.

• A supplier of a service who has broken a contract may also be liable for any consequential loss which is suffered by the consumer. Ultimately it would be for the courts to decide whether or not a breach of contract has occurred and the redress, in the form of damages (compensation), to which a consumer might be entitled.

• A claim can be pursued though the courts for up to six years providing it can be shown that the problem was due to the work not being carried out properly or the goods or materials used not being of satisfactory quality.

I purchased a Yamaha cash on the understanding that it had a warranty. The dealer is the representative of Yamaha.

If you have a warranty claim you can not deal directly with Yamaha but have to deal with the agent/dealer who said time and time again the bike would be fixed.

As previously said, the bike has done less than 2000 miles. I have followed the warranty procedure and given Yamaha and the dealership ample time to fix the problem. In fact the dealer has sent me emails stating that the bike would be on the road by the end of that week. When Yamaha contacted them in relation to this they then said the bike would be looked at the following week...... so it had not even been started even though Yamaha had stated that all the parts were there. Another lie.

So, I have been left out of pocket with transport costs, the dealers have lied and fobbed me off and, as the bike has only doen less than a few thousand miles, I do not see why I, as a customer, should not blame both of them.

If they had have offered me a courtesy bike then I would not have minded but I will not be fobbed off or lied to.

Adding this as it may help others in the future. This is from the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1992.

The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 requires a supplier of a service acting in the course of business in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to carry out that service with reasonable care and skill and, unless agreed to the contrary, within a reasonable time and make no more than a reasonable charge.

• These terms apply unless they have been excluded and there are strict limits on the circumstances in which an exclusion or variation will be effective.

• Common law in Scotland has similar effect to the 1982 Act. Suppliers of services or their customers should obtain legal advice about the common law in Scotland if necessary.

• If a supplier of a service breaches the conditions of a contract (for example by failing to carry out the work ordered) the consumer has a choice either to affirm the contract (treat it as still in existence) and claim compensation from the trader for his failure to carry out what was agreed or rescind (cancel) the contract.

• If the supplier does not carry out the work with reasonable care and skill the law treats the matter as a breach of contract and the consumer can seek redress. Often reasonable compensation in these circumstances will be repair or replacement.

• If no agreement has been made with the supplier about completion of the work, or about the charge to be made, then if it is not completed within a reasonable time or the price is unreasonable, this is also treated as breach of contract and the consumer may be entitled to compensation.

• Any goods supplied in the course of the service must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose. If they are not the consumer is entitled to a repair, replacement or compensation.

• A supplier of a service who has broken a contract may also be liable for any consequential loss which is suffered by the consumer. Ultimately it would be for the courts to decide whether or not a breach of contract has occurred and the redress, in the form of damages (compensation), to which a consumer might be entitled.

• A claim can be pursued though the courts for up to six years providing it can be shown that the problem was due to the work not being carried out properly or the goods or materials used not being of satisfactory quality.

Whoa ....

hold up a sec ... as Cynic said & I mentioned it would appear as if there is a dealer fault ... if it was me in your position I would be down the shop everyday (not email ... on the doorstep) in order to get the bike back working. As I stated in other posts YMUK did what they had to with a non supply of parts within a reasonable time .... this case seems to show they have done that but the dealer is not pulling out the stops in order to return the bike to you. I would guess the bike is fit for purpose (if fixed) so JUST SHOUT AT THE DEALER !! Also bear in mind anything mechanical can break down ... my old mans Jag (in 1972) had a rouge oil pump and trashed the motor within a 100 miles or so but it was fixed in about a month or so and he continued on to buy more Jags... but hey each to their own

Regards Jim

Well, heres an update for you.

I called the dealer this morning. They said they were waiting for a part. It would come in today.

Yamaha have allegedly contacted the dealer who now says a part HAS to be ordered.

What a crock.

Now can you see why I'm going to have to take it further? Its not a joke anymore....it's becoming a pantomine. :D

id say go up and demand to see the manager! and give him what for!!! a good line to use " is this how you conduct business?" and just tell him you demand compensation for the time and money that has been wasted due to his staff's incompetence!!! and don't be afraid to shout at the top of your voice! :D

and don't be afraid to shout at the top of your voice! :D

and promptly be ejected from the store, such behaviour will not be tolerated by most employees, they will probably be even more so reluctant to help you. trust me, i worked at Currys.

by all means go pay the dealer a visit and speak to the highest authority you can get to and ask them why it is taking so long, use the emails as proof that they said the work would be done by a certain time and still has not been completed

Should the dealer location be named on here ?, we too readily accept poor service in this country and why should we !

cast your votes

name them :thumb:

dont name them :thumbdown:

Should the dealer location be named on here ?, we too readily accept poor service in this country and why should we !

cast your votes

name them :thumb:

dont name them :thumbdown:

name them warn us

i dident like the standard of service from elf england at all

and promptly be ejected from the store, such behaviour will not be tolerated by most employees, they will probably be even more so reluctant to help you. trust me, i worked at Currys.

by all means go pay the dealer a visit and speak to the highest authority you can get to and ask them why it is taking so long, use the emails as proof that they said the work would be done by a certain time and still has not been completed

yeah soz i got a bit carryed away thinking of my experiance of delerships :blink:

Well trading Standards agree that I have a case. So does my brief.

I forgot to mention that, for 10 years, I headed a legal department of a national company handling such cases. I know my way around the legal system and can easily take them to small claims court.

If anyone else has a similar problem I urge them to push and contact Trading Standards. They are impartial and will assist you.

Lets not forget, you pay for goods and services in good faith. Any work paid for has a guarantee also so if,like Paulwhite, who had work done, his engine blew and he could prove it was down to the shoddy work he had done, he to could take it further and seek compensation.

So.......wheels are in motion!