Number plate size

glr
This post is 5449 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have an FZR 400 1988 it has been of the road for a number of years and now my daughter wants to ride it as I put another bike through MOT on monday and was told the plate was to small even though it passed the last 3 tests I though I would make sure that the 400 plate was the legal size which I was told is 9" x 7" but I find that it sits in a holder on the back mudguard that is only 9" x 6" Can any one tell me if that was the size when the bike was made or maybe I have an import But the problem is that the extra inch will take it over the reflector which will also cause a fail and I do not want to cut and modify the rear unless I realy have to

Thanks

Gerald

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Gerald. Hope this helps. It's from the official DVLA website.

DVLA Rules for Motorcycle and Tricycle number plates

All motorcycles and tricycles must display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle. Motorcycles and tricycles registered before 1st September 2001 may display a number plate at the front of the vehicle but are not required to.

If you have a two or three wheeled motorcycle or tricycle that has a body type of a four-wheeled vehicle, you MUST display a number plate at the front and back of the vehicle.

Motorcycles registered on or after 1st September 2001 must display a two-line number plate. Motorcycles registered before 1st September 2001 may display a three-line number plate.

One-line number plates are illegal, regardless of the date of registration.

Here are the character sizes:

Character Height 64 mm

Character Width (except the figure 1 or letter I) 44 mm

Character stroke 10 mm

Space between characters 10 mm

Space between groups 30 mm

Top, bottom, and side margins (minimum) 11 mm

Space between vertical lines 13 mm

haha lol those sizes are funny my plate is 5x4 inch and have never been pulled over

PS old plate is on the left but is same size but bigger wrighting

P1010819-1.jpg

Hey Gerald. Hope this helps. It's from the official DVLA website.

DVLA Rules for Motorcycle and Tricycle number plates

All motorcycles and tricycles must display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle. Motorcycles and tricycles registered before 1st September 2001 may display a number plate at the front of the vehicle but are not required to.

If you have a two or three wheeled motorcycle or tricycle that has a body type of a four-wheeled vehicle, you MUST display a number plate at the front and back of the vehicle.

Motorcycles registered on or after 1st September 2001 must display a two-line number plate. Motorcycles registered before 1st September 2001 may display a three-line number plate.

One-line number plates are illegal, regardless of the date of registration.

Here are the character sizes:

Character Height 64 mm

Character Width (except the figure 1 or letter I) 44 mm

Character stroke 10 mm

Space between characters 10 mm

Space between groups 30 mm

Top, bottom, and side margins (minimum) 11 mm

Space between vertical lines 13 mm

so where does it say the plate has to be 9x7 then, yes as long as the letters are the correct size and the spacings are correct and 11mm around the outside and yuo have the manafacturers postcode and name on it that is all it needs i reckon

Well thanks Guys I think with them sizes the plate will fit into the holder as it appears pre Sept 2001 has smaller characters and a smaller gap between the lines

Oh yes the plate on my blade is 7" x 5" or should I say was, have to get abigger one tomorrow as the MOT requires it

Again Thanks for the Info

Gerald

PS The reflector is built into the bottom of the mudguard

PS The reflector is built into the bottom of the mudguard

First time I took mine for an MOT it didn't have a reflector so the tester stuck two 10p sized ones on the number plate and passed it.

Take it somewhere else if he gets upset over that, as far as i can see the garages that give just a little like the one i use are far busier than the really anal types that would query the plate.

Something like wheels brakes etc fair enough, but the plate being alittle too small <_<

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online