new bike what to get

scritty
This post is 5485 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Looking for any advise on what to get next

my 98 thundercat is starting to show its age a little and starting to have the dreaded 2nd gear problem cant decide to replace or repair it at 36k not sure its worth it but then what cld i replace it with

i do an 80 mile round trip commute thru the lake district every day in all weathers and being a way past 21 the sports bike position plays havoc with me bones so the R6 is out ive been lookin at the fzs fazer 600 anyone got any advise cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my 98 thundercat is starting to show its age a little and starting to have the dreaded 2nd gear problem cant decide to replace or repair it at 36k not sure its worth it but then what cld i replace it with

i do an 80 mile round trip commute thru the lake district every day in all weathers and being a way past 21 the sports bike position plays havoc with me bones so the R6 is out ive been lookin at the fzs fazer 600 anyone got any advise cheers

Adventure sports, like a Tenere or Varadero I'm in a similar position but don't travel so far on the trip to work and have similar ache and pain issues with my GSX-f.

Its what i'm going to do. Unfortunately we've been put on a 40hr week at themo so i'm having to do things steady and fix up my little DT first. Losing 15hrs pay a week ( with the associated shift premium) has tightend the old belt a bit.

I posted something similar in a thread called, bike comfort oldfarticitus. Do a search, there were a lot of helpful replies.

This bike is pretty much at home in the Lakes.........

Scarefell%20-%20in%20the%20mist.JPG

The varadero is a great bike too, kinda depends on what you want ???

For a big grin, go anywhere kinda bike the Tenere is king (better than the BMUU and you save enough to buy a second house too). It's not a fast bike, but very agile and takes the high passes in it's stride - I've lost count of the time I've passed sportsbikes on Wrynose..... It also got me out of Borrowdale last year when no-one else was managing it. Big single sounds too,,,,

For road going, power on tap, comfy riding, then the Varadero is worth a look. These bikes will cover 600+ miles a day, every day and you'll feel fresh when you get off. Don't be fooled by the off-road looks, it just doesn't cut it on anything rougher than smooth gravel. With the right cans on these big V-Twins sound awesum.

Both great bikes IMO, the Tenere is a bit more adventure that the Varadero.

im thinkin if i can pick up something reasonable i may have enough left to take my thunderct off the road and get the gearbox rebuild and tidy it up i will have a look at the terene and veradero they sound just the ticket thanks

FZ1 - you know it makes sense.

I've had an ER-6 as a courtesy bike twice - lots of fun and quite hoontastic but I felt it was perhaps lacking in the street-cred dept. Depends if that matters to you or not - I couldn't really fault it.