Bigger bikes

wild foamy
This post is 5503 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

i've given up on cars now, im sticking to bikes for a few years and am now looking for my next one.

so which one should i get?. im 5'8, soon to be 17 and dont like to be huddled up on a sports bike (although the GSX650F is very nice...) and also intend to do a fair bit of touring next year, im not bothering with 125s as i will be doing my full test and getting a real bike instead.

would prefer to stay with an enduro bike, the XT range imparticular seem to be quite good but what are they like to tour on?

input appreciated :)

Steveo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well im 17 next week and have a MT-03 its single sylinder 660cc and i have to say the handeling is verry verry good and the speed is great but not verry high 110mph tops

then theres the XT660x (dads bike) that runs on the same enguin but produces more powere but dosent handle so good and is a bit more uncofortable than the MT-03

so i would say ure good with both of those bikes but the MT-03 was/is my choice obv as i have had myn for 3week now and been out on it around where i live and its just a joy to ride but both bikes are 5 speed so keep that in mind but they do pull verry well in second gear

im 5'8, soon to be 17 and dont like to be huddled up on a sports bike

Dude, i'm 6'3 & ride an FZR600 every day, have no probs with being 'huddled up'.

Buy an FZR400 or something for bit of fun, you'll love it.

Horses for courses as they say,,,,

I too had a Fizer600 - hated it!, chopped it in for a XJR1300......

Anyway, The XT,

You get a X, this is a super moto thing with small wheels, I've seen these thing loose sportbikes in the twisty mountain roads, awesum!

There is the R, this is a dual sports bike, good manners on the road and OK off road to. The range is poor, but there are more mods available than you can shake a stick at. This bike will take you to J'burgh and back if you want it to.

Then there is the Z, Good for comfort, great off road handling (when you ditch the stock tyres) and will take you anywhere you choose to go. Great range too - you can get up to 300 miles on a tank of juice. Roadside maintenance should you need to, loads of mods available. Having put it through it's paces, if a bike can take you there this one will. Only downsides on this bike are the height, at 5'10" I can just reach the ground, although there are lots of lowering kits out there. The other problem is availability, Yamaha are limiting the numbers and you have to hunt around for the bike you want, residuals are high as no-one wants to sell them (one or two have appeared on fleabagbay). Oh, and one or two 'new model bike' teething problemets (wireing harness is over tight and wears if you don't release the cable ties a bit, cush drive only lasts 10,000 miles - £25 and 30 minutesof your time.)

There are lots of options for touring, most bikes will tour OK, but I've had this conversation with many people about how this bike and that bike is a great tourer - but when it comes down to it there are not many bikes you can ride 600 miles every day for 3 weeks and still walk properly! I did, and I'd do it again on the Tenere.

Like I say, horses for courses

lol i thought u couldnt have over a 125 untill you were 21? dont tell me i just bought a 125 when i couldh ave bought a much bigger more fun bike lol

Once you've passed your test you can ride anything you want - as long as it's restricted. Then in 2 years time you can take off your restrictor. But you do have to pass your test......

lol i thought u couldnt have over a 125 untill you were 21? dont tell me i just bought a 125 when i couldh ave bought a much bigger more fun bike lol

Yep im 17 and have a 660cc but its restricted to 33bhp but can still hit 0-60 in 5seconds and 90mph :)

just been into probike and saw a very nice Suzuki DR-400S, nice tall seat and very comfy but not yamaha... :(

Tenere looks like the best solution for me so will have to start saving.

will be touring ireland in no time XD

A Tenere' would be a good choice WF ;)

Touring on an XT is great fun.....

NF013.jpg

Go Anywhere....Anytime......Affordably :thumb:

OffLoad009.jpg

A Tenere' would be a good choice WF ;)

Touring on an XT is great fun.....

Go Anywhere....Anytime......Affordably :thumb:

what it like riding with the wind against you all the time ???? i finde it gives me back ache from the buffeting because of the lack of fairing

super tenere is a possibility, id prefer to keep it cheap and simple so BMW isnt really practical.

Yamahead: fancy selling it? :D

hey am bout to be 17 2 n just bought a bike older den me which will doo like 120 so 125s r worth it lol, anyways government takin speed limit down to 50 supposidly so you wont need owt bigger... have a TZR btw

Another great bike, based on the old XT600 but spec'd up is the TT600RE,

Sunday-4-Jan-01.jpg

The screen is an 'adjusted' 1000GS screen and some home fabricated alloy mounting brackets that fix to the hand guards.

They only officialy imported these bike for a couple of years, but you can pick an 05 up for between £1k and £2k.

Downside, the range is crap (like the XT) but Acerbis do a HUGE tank conversion for them that will see you get 300-400 miles of fuel in the tank.

I have wondered what the TTR600 is like compared to my trusty 250 ! I have bought an XT600 I wonder if it will be up to the same punishment as theTTR off road ? Its just a workhorse takes you anywhere such fun to ride would be a real struggle on a 600 ?!

just found out some good news with the new test thats coming in your bike will only have to be restricted to 44bhp and not 33bhp as long as you do that new test but on the down side you have to have a 44bhp bike for 4 years then take another test to get on to any thing more powerful after the first 4 years just thorght i would share with you

I have bought an XT600 I wonder if it will be up to the same punishment as theTTR off road ?

XT...TTR....Bottom line is:

1-Lunger YamaThumps (No matter what size) are BulletProof! ;) .....

IMG_1814.jpg

what about the honda dominator?, saw one outside george whites once but didnt get a chance to have a good look

alternatively, anyone had any experiance with the XT350/400 bikes?, these keep turning up on ebay for under £1000

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online