Authenticity in the v-twin stable.

x-jayney
This post is 5535 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

...I actually prefer the torquey-gutsy engines to those of Jap bikes:

Not at all on the subject of Hoggs, but there are higher torque jap bikes out ther too. Like you I'm not a fan of high reving screamers, preffer my 660 single any day.

The 1000 V-Twin in the Honda XL1000 has a huge stockpile of torque too.

So ... for all those countless people out there who continue to condem american-vee twinned machines without having ridden one: I suggest you get yourself down to your nearest Harley dealer or Victory dealer and book one out on a test ride ...

Sooooo where did all this stem from ????? don`t think I have ever seem a thread on here condeming Harleys, or for that matter, any other make of bike.

Or, where some mates taking the piss down the pub ???

""and continue to rely on anecdotal fiction relayed to them by their mates over a pint in the pub.""

Sooooo where did all this stem from ????? don`t think I have ever seem a thread on here condeming Harleys, or for that matter, any other make of bike.

Or, where some mates taking the piss down the pub ???

""and continue to rely on anecdotal fiction relayed to them by their mates over a pint in the pub.""

Erm ... take a closer look and it may reveal what is lurking beneath the hidden depths!

I dont think we condemn Harleys or any other make of bike, maybe a little piss taking here and there but you always get that its just a bit of fun, the only time I saw a lot of it was when a Harley fan came here and threw down the gauntlet by saying that Yamaha's were just Harley wannabe's, he then promptly disappeared but got plenty of replies to his post...havent really noticed much slagging off of harleys since then...especially recently, each to their own I say.

Erm ... take a closer look and it may reveal what is lurking beneath the hidden depths!

Got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sell Harleys :D

""""I suggest you get yourself down to your nearest Harley dealer or Victory dealer and book one out on a test ride ... """"

, the only time I saw a lot of it was when a Harley fan came here and threw down the gauntlet by saying that Yamaha's were just Harley wannabe's, he then promptly disappeared but got plenty of replies to his post...havent really noticed much slagging off of harleys since then

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nice try, Steve! I do not sell Harley Davidson or Victory bikes.

""""""""Erm ... take a closer look and it may reveal what is lurking beneath the hidden depths!"""""""""

Nope lost me ???????????????? bit to deep for me ,, afraid I am just a simple Yam owner :rolleyes:

""""""""Erm ... take a closer look and it may reveal what is lurking beneath the hidden depths!"""""""""

Nope lost me ???????????????? bit to deep for me ,, afraid I am just a simple Yam owner :rolleyes:

Hey Steve ... quite incidentally, so am I! (just a simple Yam owner, that is).

Whilst it is nice to see a variety of Japanese clones of american-vee twinned bikes around, I find it a bit unfortunate that the urban myth that "Harleys are shite" is perpetuated in these forums, and usually by those very people who have no first-hand experience of the machine, of riding one, or of the people who ride them ... and continue to rely on anecdotal fiction relayed to them by their mates over a pint in the pub.

Sure, I have my clapped out old Yam, which I love, but I also have a huge amount of respect and passion for these american-vee engined bikes (not just Harley, but I include Victory here, S&S etc.)

No, I do not own any american bikes, but I do have frequent access to them, have ridden many many miles on a huge variety of these, and whilst I do not like some of them, overall the bikes are f*ckin' great fun to ride ... they are not gutless, and I actually prefer the torquey-gutsy engines to those of Jap bikes: the difference being that you have to rev Jap bikes more, you are up and down the gear box more and it is a very different experience with very different dynamics.

So ... for all those countless people out there who continue to condem american-vee twinned machines without having ridden one: I suggest you get yourself down to your nearest Harley dealer or Victory dealer and book one out on a test ride ...

You may be pleasantly surprised!!

So, whilst I have a passion for the older Jap bikes, I am also passionate about american-vee twinned bikes too.

WELL AMANDA,for somebody who has been on the forum for such a short time you know how to put the cat among the pigeons, as oldgitonabike said the guantlet was thrown down that yamaha riders were all harley wana bees and that we were all homos !

there were a lot of replies and some did slag of harleys but there were a lot more that stood up for them,the funny thing was a lot of the folk who slagged them off were from over the pond,if you come on a forum and make that sort of comment what do you expect?

there are a few harley owners on this forum and some ex harley owners myself included, in 2006 i purchased a harley from a harley dealership, i have every reason to slag harleys off but realise that maybe i was unlucky and just got a bad one,in the seven months i owned the bike i only managed to do 700 miles as it broke down four out of five times i took it out,it spent most of my ownership in the garage, i was always given a loan bike which never broke down but in the end and after threatening court action i was given my money back as the bike was not fit for purpose was the legal term.

people take the piss all the time on forums but you have to put it in context and perhaps after the last thread and now this one we can put the topic of harleys and jap bikes to bed once and for all. paul

So where DID this all stem from then? Point me int he direction of the thread if you dont mind.

On ANY bike forum (except Harley of course) you will ALWAYS get folk taking the piss out of them - its as common as BIRD riders taking the piss outta CBR riders and cruiser riders ribbing sports bike riders - it will never change.

Harleys and their riders will always be the butt of jokes and not a lot we can say will change that cos they like to think they are in a different class to the rest of us - just take a trip down your local HD store on a sunday and see.......... :lol:

A few of my friends have Harleys and ive had a go on a couple - i rode a softail (i think it was the heritage - looks a bit like the XVS Classic?) i did not like one bit -it was rattly and unresponsive, and overall a real uncomfy ride IMHO.

HOWEVER - i do like the Night Rod - i may even own one one day - but we shall see.

Dont take it so serious - no one means any harm.

are you answering your own posts? :D

Aren't you the funny one, Drewpy!

If you had followed the 'thread' you would realise it was an extension of my previous comment to Goff, although it does look like I am talking to myself!

Oh well, guess I have reached that age.

Oh dear...

was it me? in "He's home!"??

Yep, probably even longer - but "reccomended service interval" is just erring on the side of caution, obviously checking it now and then is a good idea (about as often as you check the shaft drive maybe? lol) but seriously - these belts are made to last!

I found a Hardly Driveable website with some stories to ease you mind...

like this one - "Im running an 89 FLH with 210,000 klms,BURNOUTS,drag racing, ang generally hard riding over 20 years.The last 40000 klms with a good sized chunk missing from the outer edge but the belt's still going strong.Dammm near indestructable."

Oh dear...

was it me? in "He's home!"??

No, Cov-al ... it wasn't you! I only had a brief look at "He's home" and did not read your offering.

I enjoy a good debate. I purposefully "put the cat among the pidgeons", so to speak, to see what reactions it would elicit from people.

No, Cov-al ... it wasn't you! I only had a brief look at "He's home" and did not read your offering.

I enjoy a good debate. I purposefully "put the cat among the pidgeons", so to speak, to see what reactions it would elicit from people.

Welcome to the forum... <_<

Aren't you the funny one, Drewpy!

If you had followed the 'thread' you would realise it was an extension of my previous comment to Goff, although it does look like I am talking to myself!

Oh well, guess I have reached that age.

Still dont make sense to me :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online