exhaust wrap

streaky100
This post is 5598 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A performance upgrade? and i thought it was so the fairing didnt melt, seems daft though since engines need to be cooled somewhat, so why insulate the exhaust...so thats my view no pro just a con unles youve got scorched fairing paint, i'm here to learn though anyone??

A performance upgrade? and i thought it was so the fairing didnt melt, seems daft though since engines need to be cooled somewhat, so why insulate the exhaust...so thats my view no pro just a con unles youve got scorched fairing paint, i'm here to learn though anyone??

i heard there is something to do with keeping the heat in the exhaust so the gases escape quicker, but i aint to sure about benefits or drawbacks

It looks shite.

I had it on my bike befre i got new pipes and it was bloody awful.

And it never made any difference to the performance whatsoever.

Best kept to rat bikes IMHO - its only ever gonna look the dogs bollox on one of those

when i did my mechanical engineering degree, a guy on the course did extensive research into this on the uni dyno with (i think) a 250cc bike engine. I think there was something like a measurable improvement of around 7%, but that was under lab conditions and due to the fact the dyno was constantly booked only in a the small rev band of peak torque.

It is something to do with hotter gases flowing better^ iirc the thermal shock of gases rapidly cooling on cold downpipe walls increases the tendency for the reynolds number to exceed the transition point from laminar flow to turbulent. Of course i amy be wrong, its been a while!

when i did my mechanical engineering degree, a guy on the course did extensive research into this on the uni dyno with (i think) a 250cc bike engine. I think there was something like a measurable improvement of around 7%, but that was under lab conditions and due to the fact the dyno was constantly booked only in a the small rev band of peak torque.

It is something to do with hotter gases flowing better^ iirc the thermal shock of gases rapidly cooling on cold downpipe walls increases the tendency for the reynolds number to exceed the transition point from laminar flow to turbulent. Of course i amy be wrong, its been a while!

?????????????????????????????????????????

My other half wants it on her bike because she keeps burning her leg on the custom exhausts!!

They don't come with heat shields and she's short :D

It comes in different colours (mwah-hah-hah-hah) and, done properly, it looks good.

Guy at work has it on his Harley and it looks fantastic.

My other half wants it on her bike because she keeps burning her leg on the custom exhausts!!

They don't come with heat shields and she's short :D

Dont bother if you think its gonna stop her from burning her leg - it wont.

I went through 2 pairs of waterproofs while i had this stuff on cos the exhaust is still mad hot and will still burn.

Get her some heat shields made instead.

It comes in different colours (mwah-hah-hah-hah) and, done properly, it looks good.

Guy at work has it on his Harley and it looks fantastic.

I had black on mine which soon turned grey - and yes it was done properly by a guy who builds bikes and does them all the time - even he told me it would look shite and he was right.

It looks good on rat bikes, and thats it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online