why do i find it hard to turn right but not left (help)

clampyface
This post is 5647 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:offtopic:

Hi there have just passed my full test on sept 26th, bought myself a nice fz6s 06 plate (nice bike) can anyone help why do i find it easy to lean to the left, but when it comes to the right turns i cant seem to lean and get the bike around the corner, why is this.

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

do you mean right corners or right out of junctions? I have a theory it is a psychological thing when turning left you can lean the bike over to go a bit tighter around a bend if things are going a bit awry, but on right turns more lean over means you put yourself into the line of other traffic and uprighting the bike means you are heading for the hedge, do our USA cousins find the opposite i wonder?

merv

It's just practice and experience, matey.

Keep at it, give it time and there'll be no worries.

You'll never have it perfect. That will take a lifetime. However, you will have times when it all feels very damn good. These will become more frequent until it becomes something you expect on every turn.

hi there have just passed my full test on sept 26th, bought myself a nice fz6s 06 plate (nice bike) can anyonr help me i find it hard to turn right only

thanks

you may not be looking far enough ahead try to look more where you wont to be not just in front

do you mean right corners or right out of junctions? I have a theory it is a psychological thing when turning left you can lean the bike over to go a bit tighter around a bend if things are going a bit awry, but on right turns more lean over means you put yourself into the line of other traffic and uprighting the bike means you are heading for the hedge, do our USA cousins find the opposite i wonder?

merv

Hi there i only find it hard when it is the right turn at juction i just cant lean the bike as good as i can to the left then i end up going to close to the kerb (oh shit)

When i turn left i find it easy to lean does anyone no wye this is

james

It's just practice and experience, matey.

Keep at it, give it time and there'll be no worries.

You'll never have it perfect. That will take a lifetime. However, you will have times when it all feels very damn good. These will become more frequent until it becomes something you expect on every turn.

Thanks for the reasurance hopefully i will get there

james

Hi there i only find it hard when it is the right turn at juction i just cant lean the bike as good as i can to the left then i end up going to close to the kerb

Again, sounds like you're looking at the kerb, which is what you will crash into if you're not careful.

It's called Target Fixation.

Concentrate on looking where you want to go - Just like doing the U-Turn/Turn-In-Road manoeuvre.

Keep looking down the road as you start the turn, as you lean the bike and as you bring it up again. Keep focussed on that spot. The rest is just your body and thus the bike following your head.

Try not to worry about it. I HATE right handers and sometimes still struggle

Its only when i decide i need to think about what im doing do i get it wrong. If i just get on with it without worrying whether im gonna get round and focus on where i need to be - its not a problem.

;)

Try not to worry about it. I HATE right handers and sometimes still struggle

Its only when i decide i need to think about what im doing do i get it wrong. If i just get on with it without worrying whether im gonna get round and focus on where i need to be - its not a problem.

;)

Thanks for the advice will try next time am out cheers

james

Am I the only person that thinks your wheels might be out of alignment?

Yes. Now go sit alone in the corner!! :lol:

Seriously though, I'd have expected other issues to be apparent from a mis-alignment, particularly when braking.

Hi there have just passed my full test on sept 26th, bought myself a nice fz6s 06 plate (nice bike) can anyone help why do i find it easy to lean to the left, but when it comes to the right turns i cant seem to lean and get the bike around the corner, why is this.

thanks

Probably because on a right hander, you are more likely to have a less favourable camber on the road. B)

thanks

Went through a stage myself not so long back lost all confidence on right hand corners especially when it rained. :o

Dry weather was not to bad seemed to hold the road ok until it started to get wet again.

Then I decided to have the tyres checked back tyre was fine but the guy noticed front tyre was badly worn on one side but still road legal. Fitted new tyre on could not believe the difference in grip, soon got my confidence back up.

So looking back your tyres may be fine but it always worth having them checked out like I did, be surprised what a difference it made. :D

Within 12 hours of passing my CBT I dropped my bike on two corners, one right, one left. After that I realised how much the "look-where-you want to be and not where you don't want to crash" thing actually works. after riding around trying to get it right, covered in mud I slowly built my confidence up, only advice is maybe take the turn more slowly and look where you want to be!!

Within 12 hours of passing my CBT I dropped my bike on two corners, one right, one left. After that I realised how much the "look-where-you want to be and not where you don't want to crash" thing actually works. after riding around trying to get it right, covered in mud I slowly built my confidence up, only advice is maybe take the turn more slowly and look where you want to be!!

Oooh errrr. Even I din't do dat.

Tip: You can't fall off a car.