Safe Filtering

kevin10529
This post is 5693 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Was just wondering about safe filtering??

Getting ok on the wee thing and i think its about time to cut through the traffic.

When to do it and at what opportunities, also could anyone clear up the laws of filtering?

Its what i got the bike for in the first place!!

Cheers again, Kev.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Filtering is not illegal.

Read the road ahead and if a gap appears in the traffic, it's likely a car is pulling out or turning in.

Right turns ahead can mean cars turning with out indicators and black cabs/taxis are liable to u turn without warning.

Queues at traffic lights are good places to make good progress and laugh at the mugs sat in the queues!!!

Have your lights on and if people pull aside to let you pass, a little wave doesn't go amiss.

Enjoy missing out on the queues but be aware that filtering in heavy traffic is hard work as it takes a lot of concentration to take in all that is happening around you and thinking about what all the other people are going to do and anticipate crap/dangerous driving.

:yeahthat:

Take it step by step, if you are in any doubt, hold back, watch and learn. Never ever follow someone else through blindly - that is true of all riding through!

I'd suggest (and this is only a suggestion - don't come looking for me if you get squished!) you start with nice wide roads, at say traffic lights. If you are concerned about getting away when they change look for a gap that you can put the bike in. Most people (not all) realise that a bike will only be in front of them for a short while and as long as you don't hinder thier progress they are reasonably happy (except in Carlisle where all car drivers are complete numpties)

At some point, some idiot in a tin box will try to prevent you from getting through by moving into the gap. Stay calm, don't give them any excuse to kick off, you'll get past them soon enough.

Personally, I filter far too much (except in Carlisle, as all car drivers are numpties) and I find the bigger city's are much more filter friendly (I said I find, not everyone will agree).

Much depends on the bike you have, on my Varadero everyone got right out of the way, even more so if I wore a hi-vis vest (dunno why!). I think it was down to the two flipping great headlights at mirror height, the Tenere is the same, everyone moves as you filter through. I find that on the Fazer it's much harder work, don't know whether it's just not as visible or people think it's just another tw@t on a sportsbike?? (OK, so it's not a sportsbike, but it looks similar from the front)

Speed, I have some rules on when I will and won't filter, I never filter above 30, whilst lane spliting isn't illegal, there is a fine line separating you from dangerous driving.

above all, keep it smooth, calm, be ready to stop if needed and never panic..

As above have said, special attention to speed though, 30 for me is an absolute maximum because some car / van drivers will try queue jumping by driving up the ouside lane and will jump sometimes quite recklessly back into the inside lane further up the road, this is usually when the outside lane moves quickest but ends up in a right turn when these drivers really want to go straight on, you do need to be going slow enough to stop if they do this in your path!!

Wing mirrors...Dont try squeezing through too small a gap that youre colliding with vehicle mirrors, you wouldnt like it and neither do they.

If you see someone deliberately move to let you through, try to acknowlege it if you can do (a little wave, thumb up)

Safe riding <_<

Be VERY aware of everyone else's blind spots. Know when you're in them or approaching them and avoid stopping in or getting stuck in them.

Filter only up to 20mph above traffic speed, to a maximum of 20mph.

In other words, if they're doing anything up to 20mph, you filter only up to 40mph.

If they start to move faster, merge back in with the traffic.

Do not attempt to fit through a gap unless you are sure you can fit cleanly.

If you think you might clip something, you will tense up in anticipation and your riding wil become imprecise.

On some lanes and dual carriageways, you will find you're riding over the raised Cats' Eyes. This will be bumpy and may throw you off-line a bit. be prepared for it. Also be aware that sometimes gravel, oil and other crap can be found collecting on the lines you're riding down.

Lastly and most importantly - ONLY filter when you need to.

There is NO point being one of those twats who filters past a measly two cars on a deserted road late at night, just so they can be first off the lights. My girlfriend needs to learn this one.....

If you have nothing better to do or are not running to the clock, then fuck it - Sit in traffic for 30 seconds. It won't kill you.

over the years i have seen quite a few bikers come unstuck with filtering the last time was on sunday coming back from liverpool, i was coming down the east lancs road and there was a line of traffic just before the filter lane for the m6 because a i was in no rush an also because i was on a cruiser with wide mirrors i sat behind the cars three sports bikes came through filtering in and out of the cars all of a sudden a passenger in one of the cars opened his door i dont know why but the last biker went flying through the air car door and bike in need of repair but the biker although bruised and shaken escaped serious injury the passenger had opened the door to see what the hold up was, always expect the unexpected, in my experience i find half these bikers who come past me filtering in and out of traffic are never far in front of me at the next lights or roundabout! i sometimes wonder when i see bikers out on the road and some of there manouvers how many of them will still be out there at 61yrs of age like me enjoying biking, so my advice is always expect the unexpected then if it doesnt happen its a bonus so enjoy your riding and take care

if you are filtering up to a red light at a pelican crossing NEVER go to the front stay behind the first car until it has moved from the crossing.

if you DO go to the front and pull away from the front car/van ect it is classed as overtaking on a pelican crossing and that WILL get you 3points+

Was just wondering about safe filtering??

Getting ok on the wee thing and i think its about time to cut through the traffic.

When to do it and at what opportunities, also could anyone clear up the laws of filtering?

Its what i got the bike for in the first place!!

Cheers again, Kev.

Have you ever thought of Joining the IAM............SKILLS FOR LIFE

http://www.iam.org.uk/eshop/membershipshop/sfl.htm

Im doing mine now over half way there some ppl think its for old men BUT ill tell you now I WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE

you will learn all aspects of advance riding which also covers filtering and for £80 aint bad once you pass you get discount on your insurance too plus others discounts

Have you ever thought of Joining the IAM............SKILLS FOR LIFE

..... some ppl think its for old men BUT ill tell you now I WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE

It's true. well worth the training, even if you don't want to do the test (although I can't see why you wouldn't). ROSPA is another training body, some say it's a harder course, I couldn't possibly comment.

Most Police forces run a BikeSafe scheme, you'll get training by real Police instructors, so you get to at least get to ask the right people questions.

Without meaning to put anyone/anything down, I'd offer the same advice I was given whenever I asked about Bikesafe, IAM and so on.

Wait about a year before doing it.

Pass your test, do six months of daily riding with some long distance trips. Then return to the school for a one-day check-up/refresher session, accompanied by purchasing and reading (cover to cover) a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft. Then do another six months and then do Bikesafe.

The reason given for this is that you develop a feel for the bike and get used to riding well within your safety margin. When you come to do advanced riding, you will have more developed skill and ability to build on and will understand everything just that little bit better. More so if you ride something odd like a Cruiser.

All the riders I respect strongly recommend doing Bikesafe first, then an advanced membership.

However, that's just my opinion.

I may be wrong or you may just prefer to do it another way.

First of all I am IAM member and I aint a old fogie - yet! (although I'm rather fond of my woolly slippers and dressing gown on a chilly morning :blush:)

Did my test on the R6 and left the examiner standing a couple of times (one post test comment was I ride with considerable flair :lol: ) Don't be put off by talk that you have to ride fast everywhere, you do need to make progress, but No1 is SAFETY

Note: You need to have had a full bike license for at least 3 months before you even commence training for IAM.

If you are a new rider then I am in 100% agreement with Ttaskmaster, in fact thats the route I took.

Did a half day improver training, couple of months later did Bikesafe, then went along to local IAM group with my skills for life package (bought at discount at NEC show ;) ). My learning curve steepened immensely coupled with a huge increase in enjoyment of my riding. Bikesafe usually stops about now and re-commences in Spring. So you have plenty of time to get some experience riding in your own comfort zone.

best of luck ;)

Here's some light reading.

http://www.datacraftsystems.co.uk/techniqu...echniques_left/

covers most things you are going to come up against.