transmission gearing change

jrhendryx
This post is 5695 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

looking at the transmission breakdown i have, it appears as though it is possible to replace gears individually. would it be possible to replace just 5th gear to get a taller gearing if I could find the aftermarket replacement? I have looked into switching out sprockets, but can only find custom made ones that will only drop 3 teeth in the back, and I cant go any larger in the front.

It seems to me that switching out 5th gear alone would give me the best of both worlds.... short gearing for snappy around town response, and a taller, more relaxed pacing for when I want to get on the highway or take a long easy ride.

any ideas?

here is the parts breakdown - the local dealer parts guy told me that most of these older bikes have 5th gear as a fused part of the axle itself... that doesnt seem to be what I see here. they look as thought they can be removed. *edit* 5th gear is #19 and 5th gear pinion is #7

0020.Gif

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

are you sure that you cannot put an extra tooth on the front sprocket, this equals to 3 teeth on the back (did it on my 400). you really don't want to mess inside the cluster!

are you sure that you cannot put an extra tooth on the front sprocket, this equals to 3 teeth on the back (did it on my 400). you really don't want to mess inside the cluster!

it has a 17 tooth front sprocket, which is as large as ive found that will fit. i can get them custom made though. just spendy that way.

• 2 months later...

I usually only manage to spend a few seconds on 5th in Spokane, if the lights were synchronized it would be different

maybe it's because I'm not that mechanical but why would you want to tear your gearbox apart? there should be other ways to get more hp out of your bike. in any case I do enjoy reading about changing sprockets as I'm considering the change myself. good luck

These guys make sprockets for just about ANY bike......PBI Sprockets

It appears that their site is still under a makeover :unsure: .....but believe me, they're worth the effort to track down. ;)

I used to work for 'em & have had great luck with their products.

Located here in Clackamas Oregon.

These guys make sprockets for just about ANY bike......PBI Sprockets

It appears that their site is still under a makeover :unsure: .....but believe me, they're worth the effort to track down. ;)

I used to work for 'em & have had great luck with their products.

Located here in Clackamas Oregon.

Unfortunately I dont have the extra cash lying around to pay for a custom set of sprockets and a new chain to finish it all out.

I had taken the steps to contact a few online places that manufacture racing sprockets specially, but they were all looking for around 400-500 per set not including the chain.

No dice :mellow:

Unfortunately I dont have the extra cash lying around to pay for a custom set of sprockets and a new chain to finish it all out.

I had taken the steps to contact a few online places that manufacture racing sprockets specially, but they were all looking for around 400-500 per set not including the chain.

No dice :mellow:

Ho much is it going to cost to rip the gearbox out and have new pinions made more than the sprockets I guess

Ho much is it going to cost to rip the gearbox out and have new pinions made more than the sprockets I guess

that was my question as well.

I was hoping that there would be a less expensive alternative out there that would allow me to do the gearbox work myself. All of the aftermarket sprockets for the final drive chain are the wrong sizes, so I would have had to get one specially made to fit what I want...

mikes xs makes the od gear for the 650, might see if theyre the same gear as cluster as the xs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online