advice for new rider in damp cold weather

mini_dachshund
This post is 4426 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi

I dropped me bike on a roundabout the other day. thanks to the bobbins it saved me further damage .

it was cool and damp and the front just went.

i passed during summer so this is the first time riding in cool weather.

any experienced rider advice will be much appreciated to help build back some confidence on leaning into turns :unsure: .

i dont want to just ride in warm summer .

i also dont want to drop me bike to gain experience.

any advice will be much appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

After a dry period the roads will be very slippery....so take care then.

In the wet you need to allow greater distances for stopping and be very careful near roundabouts where there could be diesel spillage.

Riding in the wet needs a different approach to the dry. Slow down, gentle brake applications, slower on bends, better observation. It's not new skills.....it's enhancing existing ones to compensate for the conditions.

Take it easy and build up your confidence and skills through continual practice.

Hi, i ride all year round and i find that the tyres dont perform as they should when cold.. no surprise there. A general rule that i use is that the tyres should be at temperature the same time the bike takes to warm up, which for me is about 4 miles or so. If your journey in the cold damp mornings is for a journey shorter than this then technically the tyres wil not warm up by the time you reach your destination

i am riding a FZ6 2006.

i had fresh front rubbers (BT014) . replacing dunlop sportmax 205.

i only had them on about 50-100miles when i dropped it.

could this have also contributed to the spill.

Now i feel i should have stuck with Dunlop because the front seems to tramline more and steering is lighter.

Anyone have experience on these two models of tyres?

how hard can u bank the bike into a turn with coldish tyres as oppose to warmed up ones?

I can bank quite a bit confidently with the Dunlops but with the BT014 i have no bottle to lean it as much .

Is it me or should i just treat the BT014 like the Dunlops?

• 1 month later...
Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Alright mate.

I have the 07 fazer 6 and I run the BT020s on the bike and they grip.

Also on my trck bike sv650 i use bt014s and the are mint. they are very good tyres.

word of warning thou mate go steady for the first 100 to 150 miles on the tyres as they still have a film on them wears of and they will then work great.

• 2 weeks later...

i am riding a FZ6 2006.

i had fresh front rubbers (BT014) . replacing dunlop sportmax 205.

i only had them on about 50-100miles when i dropped it.

could this have also contributed to the spill.

Now i feel i should have stuck with Dunlop because the front seems to tramline more and steering is lighter.

Anyone have experience on these two models of tyres?

how hard can u bank the bike into a turn with coldish tyres as oppose to warmed up ones?

I can bank quite a bit confidently with the Dunlops but with the BT014 i have no bottle to lean it as much .

Is it me or should i just treat the BT014 like the Dunlops?

Mate, if that tyre has only run 50-100 miles then expect it to slip. New tyres have the mould release agent on it. It needs to run slightly more to scrub it off.

• 4 years later...

Mate, if that tyre has only run 50-100 miles then expect it to slip. New tyres have the mould release agent on it. It needs to run slightly more to scrub it off.

deffoo, i have a set of BT45's on my bike, that i just put on and they are so much stickier than the previeous dunlops i had on the bike. i was wanting pirelli speed demons, but they were taking to loong.

ride carfully for the first 100 miles then boot it !

Woah, necropost!! :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online