Greetings and Salutations...

This post is 2258 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Mike here, from Tucson Arizona.  Life-long biker type, both on and off road. Harleys mostly, but a few years ago I had a very serious accident and am now limited to riding something smaller and lighter. When you fall of the horse, you get right back on... especially if you get knocked off.

I found this forum researching an issue I'm having with a 2009 V-Star 650 I purchased bout a month ago.

As you can see, the bike is highly modified, and it runs like a raped ape. The issue I'm having is that after riding just a few miles, the bike just dies. But as soon as I roll to a stop, I hit the starter button and it's running just fine again. It also seems to only happen one time per ride. Sometimes not at all.  If feels like a fuel delivery problem but was hoping someone here might give me an idea of where to begin. I've already replaced the gas cap, so I know it's not that. If you look at the photo you can see the carbs have been rerouted up and under the tank. The bike starts and runs perfect except for this one little glitch.

There is no rhyme or reason to when it happens. Sometimes the bike is still fairly cool. Sometimes it's hot. Sometimes when I'm getting on the throttle. Sometimes when I'm just coasting. Sometimes I'm a block away, and sometimes I'm 6-7 miles down the road. The only pattern is that once it happens, the biker starts right back up again, running fine... and I have to say I'm miffed.

My next course of action is to check the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter... and run a little Sea Foam through it.

Just hoping someone here may have experiences a similar problem and can offer some advise.

Thanks for reading, and for any advise I can get.

-Mike

090529.jpg

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

that looks nice Mike, was going to say replace the fuel filter too but wouldn't that fuel be a bit more repetitive and maybe show more when its being given the beans, its an odd one that

Greetings by the way :welcome:

question...are the carbs not normally lower down?....could it be connected to fuel levels theres not much fuel head there!

Thank you, Airhead. I like your site here. I have the feeling that you'll be seeing quite a bit of me around here.

Yeah, this is an odd one, alright. I'm just going to follow the logical progression of eliminating the simpler things and see where it leads me.

Cheers!

I'm not that familiar with this particular bike, but as far as I know the carbs run between the heads with the air cleaner coming out on the right side between them.

Welcome, op u get it sorted, as u say process of elimination,  Lovelly looking bike,  mines a Virago 250cc at the min,  Really like it, and i changed the horrible high bars to fab dragbars, + alot of other stuff. :)

Found a service manual!!

I've only owned 1 other Yamaha - a stripped own 1980 XT 500 that I did some hill climbing with.

And I have to say, from the looks of this service manual, the V-Star is pretty damn far from an old XT. :D

And I was wrong about the carbs. They weren't rerouted. That's how Yamaha made 'em.

Thanks for your input, Airhead. You'll be seeing me around!

Thanks JJenny... Those drag bars are the way to go. They look good and I find the position more comfortable.

Don't know how those guys ide with those 'ape-hangers'. :wacko:

8 minutes ago, jjennyville said:

Welcome, op u get it sorted, as u say process of elimination,  Lovelly looking bike,  mines a Virago 250cc at the min,  Really like it, and i changed the horrible high bars to fab dragbars, + alot of other stuff. :)

Thanks JJenny! Those drag bars are the way to go. They look good and I find the position more comfortable.

I don't know how those guys ride with those ape-hangers. :unsure:

Nice to meet you.

Hi Mike, welcome to the YOC. Just a thought but as your bike has been chopped about quite a bit have they repositioned the "tilt crash sensor" if it's been moved that could cause your bike to act odd as it's really sensitive. Wrong position will tell the ECU you've fallen over and cut the fuel off then restart, do you have a fault code list for your bike and where is the display? Just sayin..!

Hello everyone!

Tommy... Drewpy...

Slice, I had no idea the bike even has one. I'm much more familiar with older Harley Davidsons and am finding a lack of metric tools even. This bike is completely new to me.

The tilt sensor is most certainly a part to look at... but I have to find it first. The only thing I can find out about it on the internet is a thread from right here...

But, I did discover that in lieu of the airbox, there is simply a shop rag stuffed up between the bottom of the gas tank and the top of the carburetors!! So, first things first... I need to pull the gas tank and deal with a proper air filter.

I have to say, there's something to simplicity. I've never had a bike with this many sensors and a smog controls.

So, tomorrow, when I have the energy, I'm going to be pulling the gas tank and going from there.

Hi Mike, it's usually under the seat, looks a bit like this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2007-Yamaha-XV650-XV-650-V-Star-Y487-tilt-tip-sensor-unit-angle-switch-BC8/231666865826?hash=item35f06bd6a2:g:sYAAAOSwDNdV067d&vxp=mtr

Also look at the kick stand sensor, it might need a clean and grease, if your side stand is loose it can flop up and down causing the switch to think the stand is down cutting the engine.  Just a suggestion.

The joys of old tech bikes nothing to worry about except oil leaks and ignition timing. Harleys might be old tech but they do get you where you need to be.

This is crazy. This website doesn't want to accept my password and I locked out and have to create a new account every time I want to log in.

Slice... Yeah, there's something to be said about the older bikers.

And oddly enough, I have nothing on the bike that looks even remotely like that tip/lean sensor. If you look at the picture, they cleaned out everything under the seat. I'm thinking it was either moved or done away with.

But I'm good. Pulled the tank and and replacing the fuel filter, the entire air box, which was missing, and air filter.

Don't know if I'll be back because of this chronic log-in problem so I wish you all the best.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:03 PM, Mike Ehrmantraut said:

Found a service manual!!

I've only owned 1 other Yamaha - a stripped own 1980 XT 500 that I did some hill climbing with.

And I have to say, from the looks of this service manual, the V-Star is pretty damn far from an old XT. :D

And I was wrong about the carbs. They weren't rerouted. That's how Yamaha made 'em.

Thanks for your input, Airhead. You'll be seeing me around!

Thanks JJenny... Those drag bars are the way to go. They look good and I find the position more comfortable.

Don't know how those guys ide with those 'ape-hangers'. :wacko:

Thanks JJenny! Those drag bars are the way to go. They look good and I find the position more comfortable.

I don't know how those guys ride with those ape-hangers. :unsure:

Nice to meet you.

Me neither , just always fighting with the wind , UNCOMFORTABLE to say the least , 

18 minutes ago, Mike Ehrmantraut001 said:

This is crazy. This website doesn't want to accept my password and I locked out and have to create a new account every time I want to log in.

Slice... Yeah, there's something to be said about the older bikers.

And oddly enough, I have nothing on the bike that looks even remotely like that tip/lean sensor. If you look at the picture, they cleaned out everything under the seat. I'm thinking it was either moved or done away with.

But I'm good. Pulled the tank and and replacing the fuel filter, the entire air box, which was missing, and air filter.

Don't know if I'll be back because of this chronic log-in problem so I wish you all the best.

Hi Mike its a common gremlin on here but an easy fix, just use your screen name on login not email.:D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online