Frame numbers after powder coat

DT RE Chris
This post is 2615 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, decided to get my frame powder coated but now can't see the frame numbers, I don't want to stamp it myself incase of issues later on, also it may not pass an MOT or may raise PC Plod's eyebrows if I get pulled, I have the V5 registered in my name and did take a photo of the frame numbers before powder coating, any advise please?

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye cris" I sanded  the headstock,  made numbers visable,  then light coat of black paint,, B)

I had the same thing, bought a blank vin plate and engraved the number onto it. Drill and rivet that to the frame, no probs with MOT

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, blackhat250 said:

Aye cris" I sanded  the headstock,  made numbers visable,  then light coat of black paint,, B)

29 minutes ago, finnerz89 said:

I had the same thing, bought a blank vin plate and engraved the number onto it. Drill and rivet that to the frame, no probs with MOT

I did think about taking the paint off the area but with the later DT's the frame numbers are laser etched by the looks of it and there for not very deep, I have a feeling the number may have been lost when shotblasting but didn't see it before powder coating so worried i'll be ruining good paint to find nothing.

A VIN plate maybe an option, where did you get one from?

29 minutes ago, finnerz89 said:

Can't remember exactly, googled motorcycle vin plate

I bought the bottom one

http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/motorcycle_plates.html

my powder coaters mask the numbers off and powder clear over the whole frame after the colour coat

I'd just keep the photo under the seat and on my phone, if plod doesn't like it they have ways of reading it if they really wanted to. I'm sure any reasonable MOT guy would except your explanation you could always ask them first and see what they suggest. good luck   

Has to be visible for MOT. Replacement plate and photos would be the way forward

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online