This post is 2515 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Just joined up and wanted to say Hi. Although I have been riding for a long time (around 43 years) I am just about to start my first restoration project. I'm thinking of a DT125 but not sure whether an older LC version (around 1988) or a newer one would be the best for a first. Thought I would ask the experts/experienced owners here for their views.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Andrewjstreet

just joined myself and they all seem a good bunch, sorry unable to help regarding the DT125, as honestly I have no idea. :yeah: But wishing you luck....

Hi Andrew, welcome to the YOC, it all depends if you want to go resto ie back to original or just something that works. One suggestion tho, buy something that they made a lot of, that way the parts are out there, not like trying to find the axle for a 1926 Scott Squirrel for example! Don't be fooled into buying 2 of something thinking you can rob parts from one to make a good one either, if they are the same year and model then it's a fair bet that the worn (fucked) parts on one will be worn (fucked) on the other as well. Decide if you want 2 stroke or not, a lot less work getting a little 2T going than a 4T with all the gubbins they come with.

Thanks Jayne.

Thanks Slice. Yes think I have decided on a 2 Stroke as I have never owned one. Seems there are a lot of DTs out there so will continue looking for one. I guess for my first attempt a rolling restore is best rather than one with a siezed engine non runner.

Be careful.

Something running WITH mot is a good start. 2strokes are less complex but being fewer parts make them no less expensive.

4 stroke engines even worn generally dont need major work as a rule. Any 2stroke with problems can need expensive work on cranks and barrels can be worn past oversize.

Some iconic strokers can be massively overblown on prices. Rd400 for example. A RD350b is pretty much the same riding experience but a tidy one is 1500 quid not 3 or 4 grand.

Make sure you reasearch properly and buy with both your head and your heart.

Thanks Cynic. I will be sure to take my time looking for the right one. I have been considering a DT125 imported from Europe as they seem to have the working YPVS.

Thanks Blackhat250....you seem to be a fan of the DT range :D

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

I decided on a TDR125 imported from France. Runs well and passed MOT with no problems. It is a little tatty and needs a tidy up and a few things doing so will ride it for a while then work on it.

One thing I can't find though is a workshop manual. I have a DT125 one as the engine is the same but if anyone knows where I can get a TDR125 manual I would appreciate the information.

Andrew

11.jpg

Using google before asking would be easier.

Took seconds to get this, literally. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=tdr+125+workshop+manual

Hi

I tried buying that one before and never got anything sent through. He did return my money though :-)

Also item on eval states this is not a workshop manual but an assembly manual. I am trying to find out what the difference is.