Yamaha R125 YZF

martynball
This post is 2837 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, thinking of just getting a BIT more power out of my bike, not for being silly with and more speed, but maybe give me the ability get out of a situation when doing 50MPH or something. 

My mate is a a mechanic and thinks an air filter, and exhaust might give me about 10 extra HP. Can anyone recommend any exhausts which give the bike a bit more power and maybe sound a bit deeper? 

And an air filter which gives it more power by letting more oxygen in ? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think that's very optimistic, 4 stroke 125's aren't restricted like old bikes used to be, what BHP they produce is pretty much set in stone. Unless you spend a whole bunch of money

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

+1

if you can find a way to get nearly 50% more power from a 4 stroke engine with just a pipe and filter patent it.

The figure is more like 8 to 10% if you really optimise things, or 1.4 hp. Utter waste of time.

The money you will spend for even 5 hp would be prohibitive.

• Like 1

Best thing you can do is leave your bike standard (it'll sell for more) and save up for your full test.

A much better way of spending your money!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Yeah, looking into this I think I have maybe got the wrong number! don't think it will do another 10 HP! lmao! 

Defiantly want to get my full bike test done, and might as well do my car whilst im at it. Maybe have this 125 for 1 year before I get something bigger so I know what im doing on it, and pay it off... lol 

It had only done 1600 miles when I had it and paid £2500, new they are like £4k so bargain really. 

Yeah almost any bike can do 100MPH but it's the cost of getting there that decides if it's worth it or not. Plus the more you fettle it the more delicate it becomes. Do your test and buy a bigger bike.

On 23/07/2016 at 9:18 AM, slice said:

Yeah almost any bike can do 100MPH but it's the cost of getting there that decides if it's worth it or not. Plus the more you fettle it the more delicate it becomes. Do your test and buy a bigger bike.

Thanks guys, going get my full licence, pay this bike off and get something bigger, maybe 650 - 800, not going higher than a 800 though 

Don't obsess over cc, its meaningless. Just as example, xvs 650 and R6, similar cc! as similar in truth as cornflakes and concrete.

Unless you want to be joining the power rangers and their pathetic pissing contests. 'Oh must get the new one its 2 mph faster with 3grammes less fat and was looked at by rossi'.

Anything over 400cc from this millennium will crack the ton easily and be easily fast enough to scare you. My TDR 250 would be quite a shock, 200BHP/litre is more than any superbike. And she is getting on for 30 years old.

I would expect you to see something and thing 'oooh, like that'. That is the time to consider what step next.

• Like 3

If your not to much concerned with your topspeed, a very simple easy and cheap trick is to change out your front sprocket with one with one or two less teeth. This if by far the most effective way to really cheaply and easily change the character of your bike. You will get more grunt out of it, but will also loose some top speed and will have to switch gears faster.