Oil pump priming

roadracejoe
This post is 3134 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, having just bought a 82 dt125lc project bike, today I set about seeing if it would start, switch on & started first kick !! I then decided to swap the oil feed line from the pump to carb for a clear one so I could keep an eye on it. After fitting, I fired her up, but noticed that no oil was travelling up the tube to the carb. I,be tried pressurising the oil tank while holding throttle full open, bike turned off, but still nothing, I then put a syringe on the carb end of the tube and tried to draw the oil up using vacum but nowt !!  What could be wrong?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Look on the pump, top right will be a small cross head screw, this is for bleeding the pump. Take this out, (oil will come out so be ready) allow enough out so that there are no bubbles.

Then start the engine and hold the pump at full stroke, not full throttle on the bars but manually twist the pump to max. Watch it move when you twist the throttle at max throttle the pump will be max stroke just hold it there with your fingers. Don't rev the engine till you see the oil get to the carb.

Should take longer to wash up afterwards than the actual doing.

Edited by Cynic

I did take that screw out & oil did run out of the hole, so I knew the pump was getting oil, but just wasnt sending it to the carb. Would pressurising the oil tank work if I held the pump open as you describe ? I have removed the rotten exhaust now, so don't want to start her. Thanks

Well got another look at the bike today, and thanks to the advice here I got the oil flowing again from the pump. Started stripping the bike down as this is a restoration project, and came up against my first major hurdle !! pin that joins rear shock to swingarm is seized solid, no probs I thought, I,ll just whip out the swingarm+shock in one piece and get it in the press !! NO CHANCE. Swingarm bolt is seized solid also, Any tips for getting this out? heat? I,d rather it was just seized in the swingarm and not the rear engine mount, but don't know yet :-( 

Managed to get the shock out, had to cut the end of the pin holding it to swingarm an drive it out. Time to bring in the heavy artillery to get the swingarm bolt out. More worried about breaking the engine mount, but it looks to be seized in the swingarm rather than the mounting, it will be out one way or another by the weekend :-)