Still trying for age related plate

Noise
This post is 3203 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The struggle keeps on going, been in contact with the DMV in Wisconsin to see if they had any history on the chop but their records are only kept for about 5 years and my frame number (custom made up one) wasn't found on their database so where un able to help further. So i thought to try the DVLA and see what i could get to gain this age related plate to which they came back with:

The following documents are acceptable to allocate an age related mark to an American imported vehicle that is presented for registration:

• Certificate of Origin

• Certificate of Title

• Certificate of Sale

• Certificate of Lien Sale

Do any of you know of how i can get one of those?

All i have is the print out that the duty has been paid upon import and a receipt of sale.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you got the certificate of sale (receipt)

I suspect you will need to get a certificate (letter) from Honda or the VJMC stating the age of the bike in relation to the engine number

failing all that, buy a wrecked bike that hasn't been reported a write off and use the frame number on that!

Already looked into getting a scrapped frame but there's none about only one i found was on eBay for a 1972 but again that one was imported from america and needs to be built and MOT'd before it could be registered.

Will they do a dating cert just for the engine number then? i thought it had to be on the frame?

Already looked into getting a scrapped frame but there's none about only one i found was on eBay for a 1972 but again that one was imported from america and needs to be built and MOT'd before it could be registered.

Will they do a dating cert just for the engine number then? i thought it had to be on the frame?

not sure, bit there's no harm in asking

Just contacted the man in charge of helping with dating certs on the VJMC and this was his answer

Hi Keith,

It looks like you’ll have to have a new DVLA 17 digit frame no.

If there are any mods to the frame, it will have to be a Q plate...

I have to be brief – I’m going away for a week.

Kind regards,

Geoff

So it looks like its a Q plate and then off out to buy a personal number plate for her once she's finished

trouble with Q plates is that you will find it harder to insure

I bought my xs1100 on a Q plate back in 1990. It had been brought into the UK from Holland and the frame and engine numbers matched. Anyway I contacted Yamaha UK and they sent me out a letter stating it was a 1979 model imported for sale in Europe. I was issued an age related plate on the strength of that.

Prior to getting this plate I ran it around for two years, and although a Q plate wasn't so problematic, afair, I couldn't get a NCD on it

Probably not much help to you Noise, but good luck on whatever you do

Do honda use the same engine number as well as frame number like Yamaha?

that way you could claim that the frame number is also the engine number and ask for a dating cert based on that!

Hmmmm, interesting? im not sure to be honest will have to look and see if they do.

i found this on Honda choppers site

http://www.hondachopper.com/engine/engine_timeline/timeline.html

My engine number is CB750E-2897820 which to me looks as tho its a 1977 / 1978? not a 1972 as it was advertised,

Bit late to take it back now mate unless you carry it back in a wheel barrow :lol:

• Like 1

Ha, yer right. i just can't find where he made out that it was a 1972?? this is the only number on the bike that you can date, and when i asked him he just said thats what his shipping mate over the pond told him it was. But again how did they know it was a 72?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online