Yam bits???

Silkk
This post is 3227 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After rebuilding my Genesis, I am now at the point where I am ready to start making her look pretty. 

Although the FZR600 is/was a fairly common bike, im seeing fewer and fewer parts for them, and lately simple things like a "clutch return spring" I had to get from a main dealership. 

So my next question is this really...... should I be looking to get a new full set of plastics, or just get the old ones repaired..... and where the HELL can I get a replacement set of pipes where they have the balancer's at the back of the Header down pipes? 

Side note, I am getting pretty annoyed with all the damn shops that keep asking me if its an EXUC...... or then telling me the engine serial I give them doesnt exist as either a UK or even a Grey Import ..... when im looking at the engine... and see the serial..... and yeah, it looks pretty real to me :P 

Any suggestions as to where to get parts, apart from Fleabay, would be appreciated. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Whereabouts in the UK are you, Silkk?

Might be worth looking around for a donor bike - Seem to be a few 'project' types available for reasonable money.

I use folwers for online parts,really good and if in stock , next day delivery.

then try CMSNL a dutch site where they have bought a very large inventory of stuff for older yams etc. the only caveat is they are expensive.

My TDR is as hard to get parts for and I don't bother with the others now.

Fowlers, sometimes I will step outside the box or pistons and the like but its reluctantly and normally causes hassle.

As for exhausts, best of luck, consider having one made, esp if looking at new yam exhaust as the cost of a custom replica may well be comparable and you could spec it with  better can  internals and stainless construction.

bodywork, if yours are repairable then go for it. There are people that can strike moulds from the originals, there is one on the TDR forum. If you like I can ask. May take a day or two for a reply.

there is one on the TDR forum. If you like I can ask. May take a day or two for a reply.

That would be awesome thanks. 

Currently I'm just looking for a price as its not really detrimental, and the funds have run a little dry after the rebuild 

After asking around, it seems most Genesis owners find it easier to buy donor bikes than find parts. Apparently the plastics were especially prone to going brittle in the sun, which is one reason why the EXUPs became more popular.

TDR man produces them as demand increases, can try them. Google taffmoto.

Have you checked Ebay, USA. You can get pattern panels from there.

Are there no parts at all from an EXUP that are of use, then?

That would be awesome thanks. 

Currently I'm just looking for a price as its not really detrimental, and the funds have run a little dry after the rebuild 

tell me about it, top end gaskets - £170 :o

tell me about it, top end gaskets - £170 :o

And people think 2 strokes are expensive....

Yep. Cost me 200 for a bottom end for my genesis. Granted I now have a fair few spares for my gear box and crank etc 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online