XVS125 engine overhaul

SebE14
This post is 3280 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello peeps

Talk me out of doing this if it's overkill. I'm thinking of doing a complete engine overhaul on my 2001 Dragstar 125 and add new crankshaft, cylinders, pistons and cylinder heads used by the XV250.

Engines are similar from what I understand....

Move/Kill the thread if stupid.

Regards

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just so I know you understand, is "similar" the same as "the same"? Cos if there are even the smallest differences your going to spend a lot of money and time building a self destructing engine. Not saying you can't do it, lot's of folks have great ideas and carry them out with skill and flare, but is engine building one of your skills? Cos this is NOT engine rebuilding, which is easy, this is engine building which isn't. Good luck and hope you put up a thread to either make us all jealous or warn others NOT to try this in the future.

• Like 2

This topic has appeared before.

The most sensible reply I can give is to buy an XVS 250, and if you need to, rebuild that.

Its highly unlikely that you will find a second hand 250 engine, and boring/sleeving etc a 125 will cost a lot of cash, hard work, and time, for very little extra in performance

Hello peeps

Talk me out of doing this if it's overkill. I'm thinking of doing a complete engine overhaul on my 2001 Dragstar 125 and add new crankshaft, cylinders, pistons and cylinder heads used by the XV250.

Engines are similar from what I understand....

Move/Kill the thread if stupid.

Regards

yep it's a non starter...least it will be after you've started it! :crazy:

• Like 2

That seems to be a good idea, tho to be honest some of the ideas on here seem mad right up till you see the results. Sameals thread for instance about his rebuild and the work and effort he put in are an inspiration if you want to see what can be done with little room basic tools and LOT'S of skill. Don't write off your idea just amend it to something that you can do and your happy with.