A danger from RLJs that I'd not thought about before...

captf
This post is 3298 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've grown well accustomed to seeing Red Light Jumping [RLJ] cyclists while on the road.
Those total and utter turd monkeys, who think the laws don't apply to them and are a statistic waiting to happen.

This morning, there was an interesting outcome from one. As he flew past a red light perpendicular to a motorway on-ramp [where cars would very likely be accelerating up to 70mph...], he caused the car on one side of him, and the lorry [that was blocking his view of traffic that would be joining the motorway] to think the red light had changed, and they jumped the light too.

It's only sheer luck that there was no carnage involved.

For those that may know the area [Drewpy], this was where Regent Road joins onto the M602. Not the straight route, but the roundabout version. We [me, the RLJ and the other vehicles] had just come off Eccles New Road.

I'll see if I can shove in a video of it later.

[edit: oops, meant to put this in General, not The Bar]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A potential danger perhaps and something to watch out for when crossing such junctions, if you can... but just as with "He flashed his headlights to let me out", it's down to the individual driver to see that the lights have/haven't changed.

• Like 1

I had a bus flash his headlights at me so long ago. I was turning right, and he couldn't be bothered lining himself up correctly to turn into the side road I was on.

So, he stopped, at a stupid angle, blocking most of the traffic behind him, and flashed his lights. And motioned for me to come out. I shook my head and refused.

He sat like that for 30 seconds, visibly getting pissed off with me. Of course, over this period of time, cars were squeezing past him, that would not have been able to see me. Of course, it would have been my fault, should a collision have occured.

My preferred technique for these situations is to shut my eyes and administer more right hand. I tend to ride most of my journeys now with my eyes shut.

• Like 3

I see cars jump red lights every day, just saw one on your video too, it's not just cyclists. I was out on my bike the other night...roadworks with traffic lights, no one around so cars were just ignoring them, didn't bother me though

Cant see how the cyclist caused the cars to jump the light though, dunno where you get that one from?! Perhaps he was going so fast he kind of sucked them along in his wake eh?

From what I can gather, it confused them... The lights at the next junction are green [they alternate, so when one is red, the other is green], and they likely thought they should be following that light

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online