1983 MX100 cutting out- video

Elblado
This post is 3271 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm trying to get an old mx running for my 12yr old to use. Picked it up as a non runner. Was told it was running then it sat for ages. I've got it running but it's cutting out after 5 secs or so. Things I've done:

-Clean carby. Main jets ok pilot jet was a mess.

-Replace spark plug, ignition coil- spark is now good

-Bypassed autolube to run on premix from tank

-Repaired some burnt wiring from stator to CDI. Wiring had cooked sitting next to exhaust

-Checked petcock- good flow

-Replaced air filter

The only current thought that is the exhaust needs decarbonising. Otherwise I'm short on ideas.

Any other tips would be appreciated. Posted a video on youtube:

http://youtu.be/RbtAoiKkUEk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yip, sounds like pilot jet, or you"ve not got a air filter on, is it on choke in video,?

Pilot jet was cleaned. It was pretty bad when removed. Think I'll clean the carby again and soak the entire body overnight.

Tank vents ok. Did the same thing with the filler cap removed.

Going to decarbonise the exhaust today and see how it goes. From the rear with baffle out it looks pretty bad in there.

At least I know it runs....

If you're sure the carb/jets are clear and there is a good fuel flow to the carb I think I would double check the electrics. You say you repaired some burn't wiring from the stator. Is the wiring ok now and insulated and not shorting to the exhaust or frame? Is there a kill switch on the bars? you should be able to unplug it from the main loom to eliminate this. Does the spark plug come out oiley? I Know you said you replaced it but have you got another to try incase the other one is oiled up. What is the plug cap like and is it screwed into the HT lead fully. If the coil is under the tank a good idea is to remove the tank and try starting the bike in the dark to see if you can see anything shorting out to the frame. You should have enough fuel left in the carb to try this.

Tony

Cleaned out the exhaust. Soaked for a few hrs in oven cleaner. Actually then ran better than before, idled nicely. Grabbed a helmet to go for a quick spin and it cut out. So it had idled for about 2 or 3 minutes. Then went back to starting easily but cutting out after 5 secs.

has it got reed valves? could be a weak or broken one. plus if you have changed from autolube to premix it will now be running petrol and oil through the jets instead of petrol as normally the oil is injected after the carb jets..

what states the plug in? oily,dry? wet with petrol?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online