Cruiser Tyres XVS950A

AndyBuk
This post is 3525 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Time for some new boots... well 12K and an MOT adviser note says it is on the front anyway.

Been looking around and trying to determine which are the best.

My riding has changed these days and I spend most of my time on the motorway, 100 mile round trip for the commute and probably a good bit less than a 1/4 of that is not on the motorway.

Mainly just ride one up and probably sit between 70 & 80 at the best of times.

For the occasional 2 up, probably not going to go over 60.

Anyhoo, the standard tyre dimensions are as follows:

Front - 130/70-18 M/C 63H

Rear - 170/70B16 M/C 75H

If my investigative LMGTFU has been successful, then I would appear to have quite a selection to choose from (when entering the dimensions as stated above).

On the previous bike I think I had used Metzelers and had no complaints.

I guess the main thing for me is durability in terms of mileage and if it they have much affect, then mpg.

Anyone got any suggestions or thoughts on brands and or product types?

I would prefer not to buy online as I don't have a scoob as to fitting tyres and don't really want to get it wrong. So if there are any recommendations on fitters around the Central Belt (Glasgow to Edinburgh) then that would also be helpful :eusa_whistle:.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you got 12k out of your regular tyres stick with em. I only get 5-6k from mine before they whiteline badly.

ohh dear, don't think I would be happy replacing them that often lol.

Think the back still has a good bit of life left in it, but should probably check again to be sure. Was thinking I might be best to replace both at the same time, but then again if they wear at different rates then whats the point in replacing together (unless perhaps to avoid mixing brands, if thats an issue).

Think the stock ones are Dunlop.

I use dunlop, change it already 2 times, someting like 11.000-12.000 miles with a pair. you don`t need to buy them online, go to a service (eventually on this service where you do your MOT and they can order and fit them for you, this is the way I chose.

I use this for rear 170/70B16 Dunlop K555 and this for front 130/70-18M/C 63H D404F

If you think your doing mainly Motorway mileage you should consider an asymmetric rear tyre as they last longer. 12k isnt to shabby though.

Isn't that some kind of racing tyre concept? Would it even be road legal?

Not sure that is a route I should be going down, but then again, I know nothing about them.

Sounds like a plan.

What are the numbers at the end? K555 & D404F, is that just an individual product range?

I don`t know what those numbers mean but I know the tyres are not regular tyres. if you give your mechanic exactly what I post you can`t go wrong. personally I don`t know anything about avon tyres. I prefer to stay with dunlop because those are recommended by yamaha for our bike model... dunlop and bridgestone was tested by Yamaha on this model.

Isn't that some kind of racing tyre concept? Would it even be road legal?

Not sure that is a route I should be going down, but then again, I know nothing about them.

Asymmetric tyres are soft on the outside & harder in the center, they have been on the road for years Avon do them as I got some on my bike.

Does it affect the handling in any way? Would there be and change on confidence levels whilst riding? Wouldn't want any brown trouser situations lol. I'll look into it further. Thanks.

No ya daft bugger. Asymmetric tyres have a tread pattern that isn't constant across the tyre.

They are used on performance cars.

Your on about dual compound or dual density tyres. The avons are different again using the carcase belt weave to give more traction from harder compounds by allowing the tyre to move.

None are perfect. Battlaxes for example generally develop a sharp step between the compounds as they wear if you like corners. Avons disintegrate used at the limit. Had a letter from them offering 50 per cent off and suggesting a gentler cornering style from Avon after i killed one of theirs at the tt.

Michelin were my favourite. The pilot road is really good.

I haven't noticed any difference handling wise but they take a bit longer to warm up.

Isnt dual compound the same thing!

Update: I've found this from Bridgestone bikes:

Asymmetric tyres Only available as rear tyres, asymmetric slicks comprise a harder compound in one shoulder and a softer compound in the other.

​So the road tyre is called Dual Compound and a race tyre is called Asymmetric confusing!

I've ballooned the side of a rear Avon at Donnington the odd thing was I didn't feel a thing until I slowed down.

Isnt dual compound the same thing!

No dual compound affects wear characteristics.

Asymetric improves physical grip they are normally directional too.

Look at makes like Hankook or Falkern. The pattern is really simple on the inside shoulder of the tyre getting more complicated towards the outer edge giving good lateral grip in wet conditions.

I always use Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tyres. They're dual compoud, harder in the middle for wear and softer on the edges for cornering grip. I get around 12000 ish miles out of them.

lol, you people are making me engage my brain first thing in the morning... that's not a wise suggestion, I may pass out...

I'll keep looking at all those suggestions, reckon I can get away with another couple of weeks before the front is past road legal and hopefully I can remember to measure the rear to see if I might as well change the pair of them together.

Thanks for all the pointers by the way, much appreciated.

So Avon cruiser tyres... You say they aren't that great for hooning around a racetrack at the absolute limit?

Guess why - They're road tyres, designed for road use, on a Cruiser doing pretty Cruisey things (ie below 90mph most of the time).

My last set of Avons lasted me 19,000 miles before the bike itself karked it and they were still good enough to pass on to someone else thereafter. I'd say 24k out of a set is considered a paltry value, even if you are a loony on your Cruiser. These things are meant to last and maintain good grip in all weathers on all roads, but are definitely not racing tyres!! :lol:

• Like 1

What make of Avons where you running(I known that sounds like a stupid question but you know what I mean)? I like the sound of them...

I can't do much racing in the daily commute lol and the bike vibrates to much above 90mph, not that it can go much faster than that with my heavy ass on board lol.

Sounds like what ever you had ticks all my boxes, all weather riding and predominately on the motorway with good mileage durability.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online