Ape hanger installation

HarleyJay
This post is 3532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all I'm looking to go about installing my 16 apes onto my dragstar. I've never worked on bikes before I bought this so if I ask lots of questions you know why haha

I've got the bars and new grips.

Now is there anyone that can do the work around the Cambridgeshire, bedfordshire area?

I can get my cables extended if I take them off and get them sent away, how easy is it to remove the brake, clutch and throttle cables ?

Next is the electrical side of things. Now would I be able to do the electrics myself ? Bare in mind I'm not quite experienced in electrics.

Ideally if there's somone in my local area which could do the lot then that would be perfect

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This job is really easy mate and you can do it on your own or if you wan tthe wife to "Help" then all the better. Here is a little write up i done a while back.

Disassembly

1. Remove wing mirrors (as they get in the way)
  2. Use a flat head screw driver to free up the left hand grip then twist and pull it off (use some GT85 spray to lube it up if need be)
  3. Remove the clutch lever by loosening the nut and pulling it off
  4. Loosen the two phillips screws on the horn/indicator/high and low beam controls (don't take the screws all the way out)
  5. Loosen the two phillips screws on the throttle controls (Again dont take them screws all the way out) then slide the throttle off
  6. Loosen the bolts on the front brake and slide it off (dont leave it hanging as it may leak DOT4 over your bike and then your fucked)
  7. Un-do the four 6mm Hex key bolts on the handle bar risers and ditch the bent bars (note that there is an arrow on the risers telling you the way they fit back on

PREP for new bars

1. Remove old front brake hose and fit new longer one
  2. Un-plug the handle bar controls and fit your longer wires (adapters or what ever you have bought)
  3. Un-strew the push pull throttle cables and pop them off the throttle grip
  4. Install the new longer push pull throttle cables
  5. Pop off the old clutch cable and fit the new longer one.

RE-assembly

1. Fit handle bars and bolt loosely with the risers in the correct direction (just nip the bolts up to stop them dropping on the tank / head light)
  2. Fit the front brake
  3. Fit the throttle unit
  4. Fit the clutch
  5. Fit the horn/indicator/high and low beam controls
  6. Slide the left hand grip back on
  7. Sit on the bike
  8. Possision the bars where they feel best for you and tighten the four hex key bolts
  9. Possision the rest of the controls where you want them and tighten all the screws and bolts / nuts
  10. Have a cuppa
  11. :)

how easy is it to remove the brake, clutch and throttle cables ?

Very Easy mate, the brake line is two bolts that you undo, you will need to replace the two copper washers that are fitted tho.

Clutch cable again is easy but fidderly, loosen the two nuts down on the left hand side of the engine and pop that part out of the housing, pop the end of the cable out of the clutch arm on the engine, pull the hand leaver in and look underneath, your see there is another nipple that needs to come out but first you will need to line up the two adjusters up so the grooves line up for the cable to come out.

Throttle cables are again easy but fidderly. (Fuel tank needs to be removed) Un-do the two phillips screws on the switch gear and spilt it, remove the cables off the throttle grip, one cable housing is screwed into the switch gear the other is just popped in there so will just pull out with a wiggle. Now loosen the two lock nuts on the carbs and pop the ends of the cables off the carbs.

Next is the electrical side of things. Now would I be able to do the electrics myself ? Bare in mind I'm not quite experienced in electrics.

Again yes you can easliy do this yourself:

TOOLS NEEDED:

Soldering Iron

Wire (same gaunge as on the switch gear)

Heat shrink

Wire cutters

Stanley Knife (I trust your smart enough not to cut your self ;))

1. Start by removing the heat shrink from the stock cable so you can see all the wires
  2. Heat up your solderign iron
  3. Cut ONE wire at a time and strip the ends of the wire
  4. Tin the ends of the wires
  5. Cut a length of new wire and strip the ends
  6. Tin the ends of the new wire
  7. Solder one end of the old wire to the new wire
  8. Slide some heat shrink over the exposed wire and shrink it
  9. Slide another bit of heat shrink over the wire
  10. Solder the other part of the old wire to the new wire and seal with the heat shrink
  11. Repeat steps 3-10 on all the other wires
  12. once all the wires are done place a larger bit of heat shrink over the whole wire bulk to tidy it up

Just awee tip you can reuse copper washers if you heat them with a torch to redish hot the copper expands so it can be crushed again and seal.

• Like 1

Handy little tip there. :thumb:

you still making em ?

spend most of my time picking them up, no-one bothers any more