FJ1200 is puffing!

slice
This post is 3566 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok fellas if you would be so kind. just got the monster up and running nothing to serious happening other than the odd rattle and stuff that will settle down once it's all bedded in, but something is :banghead: annoying :banghead: me tho and want to ask if it is a problem or can I ignore it? What it is , there is a puffing type chuffing noise from the left hand exhaust, it's not there all the time but more often than not. I checked all the valve clearances when I rebuilt it but it's possible I might have misread one, the plugs are ok and have a whopping great spark and the battery is ok, fuel is new and I have rebuilt the carbs so don't think it's them but just stumped as to what it could be. Found that the throttle cables are really tight and it is reluctant to shut completely off, I have them off at the moment and will be rebalancing the carbs this PM, but this bloody chuffing noise rings a bell in my head about something to do with this sort of problem but can't for the life of me remember what it is that makes it do this :question: , hoping one of you might have a better memory. Thanks all.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Chuffing - No idea. Hole developing in one pipe, perhaps? Blockage or carbon crap?

Throttle cable - Can you not slacken them off a touch?

Might need a bit of lubing up, too.

No Tasky I have the throttle cables off now and it's still doing it, the only thing I can seem to remember is that someone suggested, was that if the valves were to tight then you get a puffing chuffing from the bike but can't for the life of me remember if that is true or if I imagined it! Anyone else have a theory ? Cos this is doing my nut in.

PS the pipes are both ok and no leaks same from the system at all.

Sorry, you said the cables themselves were tight.

Well if the valves are too tight and/or things cannot fully close then yeah you will get a chugging, as the system is open and bleeding. Compression/exhaust will be cyclic and come in spurts, hence chug.

You know who I'd suggest can answer this in an instant, though, so I won't keep harping on... ;)

One of us... One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...!!!!! :lol:

Thanks, yeah I think it's a rocker cover off job, oh well I shall get it right this time. :crazy::shakeno:

Thanks Tomy, I have looked at all the exhaust and apart from a tiny blow on the cross tube, which I fixed, there is no leaking anywhere, I fitted new everything in the way of seals and it just bugs me that it has this chuff chuff noise all the time. I am going to have the bugger apart again just to put my mind at rest as if I blow it up just cos I was to lazy to check I will be kicking myself for the next 6 months.

Are the carbs balanced correctly? Is one exhaust pumping out more pressure than the other ( palm of your hand near the end of the exhaust).

If it is chuff, chuffing all the time you could always paint it in Thomas the Tank Engine colours!

• Like 2

You know what DT I completely forgot the bloody carb balance :shakeno: , DOH!! I mean FFS what was I thinking (not) going to go and do it now and see if that fixes it, thanks mate. This getting old stuff is starting to get serious.

• Like 1

DT your a STAR :hail: !! just got it all sorted and the PUFF PUFF sound has vanished and it runs a treat, thank you all for your help and advice.

• Like 3