Dt125 front disc brake

ZuluMikey
This post is 3571 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, Michael here i am still new to bikes and have recently when through changing my brake pads, however before attempting the front as i loosened it a split in the caliper appeared and it has lost all its compression. i have ordered some quicksteel to attempt patching it in the mean time however, the main reason for the post is this:

What can the caliper be replaced with if not the original dt125r ones as it currently has a dt125x caliper on it. (was like this when i brought the bike)

The main thing im concerned about is what will fit. =)

20140731_1645321_zpsd16e4ccd.jpg

20140731_1645221_zpsf64ee612.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would not use that, nor attempt to fix it. The metal in the caliper is probably contaminated with brake fluid and, although the liquid metal is very good, It may burst loose under pressure. It is in the pressured part of the system once the brake is applied. It may shear off altogether. It looks like someone tightened the bleed nipple too much and it cracked the casting.

My advice is not to ride with it like that nor attempt to fix it.

not a problem, however back to the question of replacing the caliper, how would i know what would fit or not? unless i buy the exact same one again?

also is there a universal tool or such which allows to fit different shapes?

its a dtx caliper on the bike. (bike is a DT125R 2002).

If the one fitted worked and fitted well then I would suggest that this would be the easiest option.

There are 3 main things to think about if looking for a different caliper:

1) the fixing hole bolt distance needs to match the mounting holes

2) the way the disk fits into the slot between the brake pads

3) the way the caliper pistons squeeze the brake disk.

Don't forget that all non standard parts fitted need to be disclosed to your insurance company.

Edit sorry.....

4) the amount of "grip" the caliper can provide.

I really wouldn't feel happy advising anything but a good original.

HI Mikey, DT is right about that caliper, don't even think about fixing it, just chuck it and go for a replacement as he suggests cos you will be chewing gravel or the back of someone's car if you ride with that thing. :shakeno:

PS just asking here but in your 2nd photo, close up, is that another crack/fracture just to the right of the rusty philip's screw? Someone has really done a number on the thing if it is, must have fitted it with a sledge and a cold chisel !!

........ Or taking up space in one of the new mortuary cabinets I have just said could be ordered at work.

Holy carp I can't belive the threads didn't let go first,someone clearly over tightened that. It's only good for a paper weight now.

The one in your link looks the same is thier not a casting number on the back to compare,it's off the shelf part that yam is using so good chance that it's the same.

PS just asking here but in your 2nd photo, close up, is that another crack/fracture just to the right of the rusty philip's screw? Someone has really done a number on the thing if it is, must have fitted it with a sledge and a cold chisel !!

Effing Ell Slicey boy. well spotted. You should get you spotters badge for that.

• Like 2

Hi Michael, a bit of useless info here. do you know your name ZuluMikey is, apart from one letter correct to the phonetic alphabet?