Speedometer disassembly

This post is 3575 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

So I slowly started getting some courage and taking things apart on my bike.

On of the things that doesn't work is the speedometer.

I have taken it off the bike but when trying to see inside there is no way to get at it unless i brake the bracing ring, it seems

Is there a proper way to do this.

Here is a photo of my screwdriver trying to unbend the ring without much luck

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3laiuozfsgrdk6/cb140719-173149-3.jpg

Thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Alex, It used to be that if you undid the 2 nuts or screws on the back that the outer casing could be lifted off the front of the mechanism, are you sure that you have to remove the front press on ring to get the thing apart? My way of thinking is you hold the part face down, undo the screws and nuts on the back and lift the (bell like) back off of the front with the mech still attached to the face. Try undoing the 2 screws in you photo to see if that helps get it apart.

My Honda clocks were sealed in the same way with a chrome ring crimped on at manufacture creating a 'sealed for life' component

I couldn't get mine off, So I used a Dremel and cut through the ring. Restored the clock and soldered on 2 tags at 90 degree to the ring and screwed them back together with a miniature nut and bolt. I covered the join in car body filler and added a bit of black and silver paint to 'hide' it. that was over 20 years ago and its still together.

Here's a photo of the ring so you can see the' join' although I could have hidden it around the side next to the 'dashboard lights'

honclk.JPG

• Like 1

The only way they come apart is by the retaining ring, a fine screw driver is required and gently

work your way round the ring lifting the ring more vertical on every revolution, once done gently

tap the ring down taking time not to knock the ring over too much.

Once done you can cover with a rubber ring damper that used to come with the early DTs.

Done plenty of XT500 clocks but that has a ring at the bottom of the clock

th_SAM_1723_zps7aa941c6.jpg

SAM_1722_zpsd0b87a68.jpg

You may need some form of jig to put pressure on the back of the clock while you tap the ring down.

SAM_1727_zpsf585f18b.jpg

Hope it helps.

TTB

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Alex if it's starting to work I hope you also gave it a liberal amount of new oil to the gears,don't go crazy but hold it as mounted and spray some oil up in there a light bit at a time dont want to fog the lense with oil.

If push comes to shove and you realy want it fixed we have a guy in Ingersol who does them any old clocks he will try and he is GOOD at it but he ain't cheap ,,but they come back like new.