Diversion XJ600S Rear Tyre / Handling

This post is 3506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

New to this forum (and quite a rookie biker too). Did the Direct Access course a few years back and bought an XJ600S Diversion because I wanted an intro to big bikes, also something with a fairing that was ok on motorways, etc. I've been fairly happy pottering around on my own but have recently started going out on longer distance rides and more twisty roads and have found the handling disappointing when trying to keep up with the 'big boys'...

Partly my inexperience I guess, plus the Divvy wasn't designed to be a sports bike, but is there anything I could do to improve things in the handling department? A mate suggested fitting a bigger rear tyre; is that an option and do you think it would help at all? Also would that be considered a 'modification' that would affect my insurance premium - maybe I'd just be better off in the long run getting a machine with better handling :)

Thanks

Tim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Tim and welcome to the YOC, nothing wrong with your bike and fitting a bigger back wheel will not make it into what you want, if your after speed through the corners then the only real way is practice or you can learn the hard way or do an advanced rider course that would have you whipping round the bends in no time flat, not cheap and it means you have to relearn some things your doing now but doable, but the thing is mate that it's a ROAD that has people on it not a race track that you can see how fast you can go on, that way lies a ban or a coffin, you want to race go to a track day, you want to ride and have fun then learn to be the best biker you can be on the bike you have. Just my ten pence worth you understand but treat the road and other road users with respect even if they are a bunch of arseholes. :jossun:

• Like 2

Everything as above, also a bigger rear tyre than recommended size will effect handling in a bad way.

• Like 2

Guess he's not coming back then :wavey: !!! Didn't like my answer to his question perhaps :shrug: ? Oh well never mind :shakeno: .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slice, Blackhat250 & TommyXS,

Thanks guys and sincere apologies for not replying sooner!

No you didn't offend me, quite the contrary lol. Just that I selected the options to receive email alerts from this forum (as I do on other sites i post on) but for some unknown reason which I'll attempt to discover / resolve, I AINT RECEIVING ANY EMAILS!!

So I'm not ignoring you ok :-)

I love my Divvy cos it's my first and only biggish bike since doing the Direct Access (that was a Kawasaki 500 ER5 of course!) and I'm learning a lot about handling the machine and even getting good at filtering (which I was always scared of previously) - well coming home from work on the M25 you don't have any choice otherwise may as well just take the car and stagnate in the steel jungle for 2 hours :(

Yes I take the point about not fitting a tyre that's different from the recommended size and regarding Advanced lessons I am intending to do that when time allows. For the moment I'm going out on rides with mates but they're all way ahead of me in experience (i.e. they HAVE SOME!!) and usually always way ahead of me on the road; but they're nice and patient and always wait for me to catch up :-)

Cheers,

Tim

Nice to hear back Tim, it'll all come together in time just don't try & rush it, try and stay within you limits

biken is always better if you can stay in one piece :eusa_think:

• Like 1

Take your time tim, playing catch up is a dangerous game. if your comfortable with your speed ,thats all that counts,, :jossun:

As above Tim welcome back, all you have to do is ask one of your mates to just slow down enough for you to keep up and then follow the leader, when he goes to fast let him go and catch up on the straight bit's DON'T try to be something your not, only experience can teach you how to ride and good advice from those who know, my local police force does a weekend training course for most months of the year and it's only a few quid to get on the course, give your local force a call and see what they do in your area, a lot of the guy's on the course are there because they got caught speeding and it was that or a fine but some are there cos they want to survive. Ride safe mate. :jossun:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Tim hope you have been getting used to your bike now. I moved from a 125 to the XJ6 Diversion F as it was a good cross between racer and cruiser. Firstly this bike has been designed for long distance riding but still allows you to ride it occasionally like a race bike. Obviously you can't go as low but the design makes sure it holds in corners so you can open it up a bit. I love my bike and can keep up with some of the bigger racers at 800cc. It's all about getting comfortable which experience gives you.

Enjoy the ride you have a great bike!

Cheers

Ian