How is the 650 on the motorway....two up?

EazyDuz
This post is 3636 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm in a predicament here, and i cant decide on a new bike. The hot weather is making me even more impatient with myself.

I had a Virago 535 which was good fun, but it was too small (im 5ft 11) so i felt cramped after a time. It also lacked power. One up on the motorway, past 65ish, it would vibrate A LOT. I couldnt see well out the rear mirrors because of it, and my feet and hands got very uncomfortable with the vibrations after a time. So i sold it.

I want a bike that can cruise at 70-80 without much vibration or fuss. I also want to go touring two up at times. This would give a combined weight of around 22 stone. This would also involve motorway riding.

Narrowed it down to 3 potential bikes:

Dragstar 650 Classic (dont like the custom as much even though its a bit lighter)

Dragstar 1100 Classic

Suzuki VL800 (preferably 05+ so its fuel injected but would get a nice clean, older carbed model).

Ive done some research but with conflicting answers. Thought id ask here too. Should i be looking at the 1100/vl800 for my purposes? Ive not been able to test ride the above bikes (only seat tested and all 3 were comfortable).

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I personally have only taken my mate on the back of my 650 once before i removed all the junk and at the time he was 18stone and i was 11stone and she pulled our fat asses up the road no probs and was able to maintain a god 70-80 mph up the duel carrage way.

So i have heard the 1100 draggy aint much different to the 650 performance wise but has a ton load more tourque which is what you want for two up riding. the 650 is more nippy but the 1100 is better off the line and able to maintain the speed better.

As for the VL800, i cant comment as not really read up on it etc, looks like a nice bike tho.

Get the 1100.

The 650 will do it, but it will feel very sluggish and the lower weight makes it feel odd.

The 1100 has the torque to pull that weight with less effort and is more spacious for both of you, especially if you get a backrest.

Yes they both look like nice bikes so if it was me I would go for the bigger engine just cos it will work less and make the ride more comfortable, both will cruise at 70/80 without a problem and both will feel like a rocket ship it's just a question of which you like the look of the most. Good luck with your search. :jossun:

what about the 950? I don`t hear to many good things about the 1100

It has a couple of common faults and is a comparative dead cow, but as Cruisers go it's not all that bad.